The 'General Welfare' thread

Yep...again, the size would matter, though...and the actions of said military. They still need to demonstrate the need and the benefit.
To whom? Themselves?

Where do you get this idiocy?
:lol: No, stupid...to the American people.
And you have the power to supervise their actions and veto their legislation?

Thats just silly, the only power you have is the power to choose which tyrants will practice their tyanny over you.

Ravi and Ben, you guys are arguing about NOTHING. the introduction to the enumerated powes is not intended to have any sort of legal binding, the author himself has said this in federalist 41.
federalist 41 is one mans opinion of his intent, which would be why the federalist papers (and the opposing anti-federalist papers) have no force of law, they are nothing more than what we are doing right here. Madison may have known what he meant when he wrote it, but niether he nor anyone else knows what the people who voted to adopt it interpretted it to mean; and it wasn't his writing it that enacted it, it was their voting.

Please rephrase this, I'm not totally understanding what you are asking.
You agree that the 'provide for the common defense' clause gived Congress power to provide for the common defense, limited only in that it may not violate the rights of the people. These powers include raising armies, creating a navy, and prividing for the arming of the militia.

Why then, if that clause was intended, as you argue, to provide those powers, was it necessary to specifically include those powers later in Article I section 8?
Clarity?
If the power is plenary, as you argue, there's no need for clarity as the power is necessarily all-encompassing.

In fact, the people who wrote the constitution stated numerous times that if these powers - raising armiues, creating a navy, providing for the arming of the militia - were not specifically granted, Congress would not have them.

If you are right, and the 'common defense clause' provides that plenary power, why the need, why the necessity, to specifically grant those powers?

I have just one simple question.

If you believe the general welfare statement is a blank check for the federal government to do anything, then WHY did Madison outline enumerated powers exactly?
Must have just wanted to give some helpfull examples!

....hahaha. if thats the case then explain how Madison said in federalist 41 that it is a simple introduction and nothing more? He wrote it himself, did he have split personality disorder? Please cite.
Would it have helped if I typed [SARC/] after the statement?

Thats the silliest argument I've ever heard as there is only one person in the government empowered to determine if actions provide for the common defense and he's the one who orders the actions.
Who would that one person be? The president? He is not authorized to declare war...he does seem to have some questionable powers to declare undeclared war, however.
He's the guy who gives the orders and decides for himself whether or not they provide for the common deffence. What undeclared wars are you talking about?
Under the 'plenary power to provide for the common defense' argument, Congress need not declare war in order to authorize the CinC to send troops into combat - Congress may find it necessary and proper to authorize a simple, more limited, "use of force" instead.

So what do you make of Steward Machine Co. v Davis?

Do you agree with the site I linked that FDR usurped the Constitution in implementing SS, which was allowed to happen by the SCOTUS in ruling SS constitutional in this decision?
Do you know the history of it? The same court previously found it UNCONSTITUIONAL and only relented due to Emporor Roosevelts threats to neuter them.

The decision still stands until reversed right?

So again, how many justices do you think would rule SS unconstitutional today if given the chance? I'd guess zero. But I guess Scalia and Thomas are possibles.

They are possibilities. Truthfully I doubt you would get a majority to overrule it. I'm not even sure they would opine at all on whether it's constitutional or not. I think they would buckle to political pressure on this one and cite precedent as opposed to what the constitution says and what Madison says it meant.

Who would that one person be? The president? He is not authorized to declare war...he does seem to have some questionable powers to declare undeclared war, however.
He's the guy who gives the orders and decides for himself whether or not they provide for the common deffence. What undeclared wars are you talking about?
Under the 'plenary power to provide for the common defense' argument, Congress need not declare war in order to authorize the CinC to send troops into combat - Congress may find it necessary and proper to authorize a simple, more limited, "use of force" instead.
Under Bas v Tingy those authorizations are declarations of war... with the limits the congress decides within the confines of international law. As opposed to a general declaration which would be limitted only by international law.

Under Bas v Tingy those authorizations are declarations of war... with the limits the congress decides within the confines of international law. As opposed to a general declaration which would be limitted only by international law.
Like I said - its not -my- argument.

I'd say he is correct, but it is silly to blame
FDR. The clause is in the constitution and basically amounts to a fail safe.

Blame the founders.

:eusa_whistle:

You can't blame the founders for the 'vagueness'. I put that in parentheses really because there is no vagueness. When people cite only the first portion of the clause as evidence that government can do pretty much whatever it wants in the name of the general welfare, the fact is they are not quoting the clause in its entirety. They are omitting the list of enumerated powers that follow it in order to make their case which is about as intellectually dishonest as it gets. Madison (one of the founders you say we should blame) said as much in federalist 41. The only thing you can blame him for is possible naivete in assuming future generations would abide by rules of written english that say that which comes after a semi-colon is meant to refer to what came before it.
Which semi-colon do you mean?

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;
After the first one, taxes are not mentioned again...only duties, imposts, and excises are.

BUT all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States.
No mention there of taxes.

Then the subsequent statements would seem to refer to only duties, imposts and excises.

Interesting point. But given the enumerated powers I have to believe it included taxes. After all one of the enumerated powers is the establishment of a navy for example. How can that be funded using only a duty, impost or excise? The creation of a navy would have to be funded through a tax I think.

You can't blame the founders for the 'vagueness'. I put that in parentheses really because there is no vagueness. When people cite only the first portion of the clause as evidence that government can do pretty much whatever it wants in the name of the general welfare, the fact is they are not quoting the clause in its entirety. They are omitting the list of enumerated powers that follow it in order to make their case which is about as intellectually dishonest as it gets. Madison (one of the founders you say we should blame) said as much in federalist 41. The only thing you can blame him for is possible naivete in assuming future generations would abide by rules of written english that say that which comes after a semi-colon is meant to refer to what came before it.

After the first one, taxes are not mentioned again...only duties, imposts, and excises are.

BUT all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States.

Then the subsequent statements would seem to refer to only duties, imposts and excises.

Interesting point. But given the enumerated powers I have to believe it included taxes. After all one of the enumerated powers is the establishment of a navy for example. How can that be funded using only a duty, impost or excise? The creation of a navy would have to be funded through a tax I think.
taxes are covered in AR9

Personally I don't think the FF's ever intended the GW clause to be used as it is today.

When the Constitution was written there was no charity in same. People took care of themselves. They didn't depend on anyone but themselves and family. Oh I'm sure there were folks who ministered to the poor in those days but it sure as shit wasn't the Govt. So why in the world would anyone believe that the FF's wanted the Govt, i.e. the taxpayers, to take care of anyone?? To administer charity?? Answer: They didn't.

Doesn't make any sense to me and I firmly believe that if the FF's were here today they would probably start another revolution.

Last edited:
And I would think there is a balancing act to be had. Providing the common defense is a constitutional expectation of the federal government and it does require money to do that.

The balancing act comes in concern for the general welfare in how the funding for the common defense (and other constitutionally mandated functions of government) is acquired.

You agree that the 'provide for the common defense' clause gived Congress power to provide for the common defense, limited only in that it may not violate the rights of the people. These powers include raising armies, creating a navy, and prividing for the arming of the militia.

Why then, if that clause was intended, as you argue, to provide those powers, was it necessary to specifically include those powers later in Article I section 8?
Clarity?
If the power is plenary, as you argue, there's no need for clarity as the power is necessarily all-encompassing.

In fact, the people who wrote the constitution stated numerous times that if these powers - raising armiues, creating a navy, providing for the arming of the militia - were not specifically granted, Congress would not have them.

If you are right, and the 'common defense clause' provides that plenary power, why the need, why the necessity, to specifically grant those powers?
I see where you are going and without researching it further I don't know the answer. It perhaps has something to do with the fact that they wanted or needed to be very clear on what could be done regarding military operations.

IMO, the general welfare clause is a fail safe. The country cannot be defended without a military and that is why it is so specifically detailed in the constitution. Every other contingency couldn't be imaged...the military didn't need to be imagined...therefore, broader powers were also included if there was a clear and compelling reason to use them.

I'm a little fuzzy on this...but wasn't the military funded without using income tax in the beginning?

I see where you are going and without researching it further I don't know the answer. It perhaps has something to do with the fact that they wanted or needed to be very clear on what could be done regarding military operations.
You fail to consider the correct answer:
That neither the 'common defense' nor the 'general welfare' clauses, in and of themselves, grant any power to Congress.

That neither the 'common defense' nor the 'general welfare' clauses, in and of themselves, grant any power to Congress.
Then why is it in the constitution?

They do appear in the Preamble however as the purpose of the Constitution or what it is intended to accomplish. The Constitution then goes on with articles, sections, and clauses to accomplish its purpose as stated in the Preamble. You cannot separate the two and believe you're following original intent.

Then why is it in the constitution?
So that Congress has the power to tax in order to generate revenue, and the power to spend the revenue it collects.

The powers that 'provide for the common defense' are found in the remainder of the section.
The powers that 'provide for the general welfare' are found in the remainder of the section.

If your argument were sound, the only clauses in the entire section would be the first and last.

In order for welfare to be general, it cannot create winners and losers. Most of what has been done in the mf general welfare by Congress does not accomplish this.

from Article I section 8 of the US Constitution:

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and General Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States"

I don't see any explicit limit placed on what CAN or CANNOT be considered providing for the general welfare of the United States. However, I've seen several people here lately argue that there is only ONE acceptable definition of 'general welfare' (conveniently their own) and it excludes anything that even slightly constitutes a redistribution of wealth.

I understand philosophical and ideological opposition to wealth redistribution. But I don't understand constitutional opposition.

How do you interpret the General Welfare clause?

It means that Illegals should get $3K a child in Earned Income Tax Credits and that if they are here Illegally from say, Mexico, that they should get In State Tuition Rates while any other American Citizen from another State should be Forced to pay the Higher Out of State Tuition Rates...

Can't you see it, Mani?...

:)

peace...

Forum List

Back