The Greatest Danger to Israel is the Stupidity of Its Leaders.

georgephillip

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2009
According to Uri Avnery, a Jew who's lived in Israel since before it became a Jewish state, believes Netanyahu and his ilk represent a larger existential threat than Iran and its non-existent bomb:

"The greatest danger to Israel is not the putative Iranian nuclear bomb. The greatest danger is the stupidity of our leaders.

"This is not a uniquely Israeli phenomenon. A great many of the world’s leaders are plain stupid, and always have been.

"Enough to look at what happened in Europe in July 1914, when an incredible accumulation of stupid politicians and incompetent generals plunged humanity into World War I.

But lately, Binyamin Netanyahu and almost the entire Israeli political establishment have achieved a new record in foolishness.

"Let us start from the end.

"Iran is the great victor.

"It has been warmly welcomed back into the family of civilized nations.

"Its currency, the rial, is jumping.

"Its prestige and influence in the region has become paramount. Its enemies in the Muslim world, Saudi Arabia and its gulf satellites, have been humiliated.

"Any military strike against it by anyone, including Israel, has become unthinkable."

The Greatest Danger to Israel is the Stupidity of Its Leaders » CounterPunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names

According to Uri Avnery, a Jew who's lived in Israel since before it became a Jewish state, believes Netanyahu and his ilk represent a larger existential threat than Iran and its non-existent bomb:

"The greatest danger to Israel is not the putative Iranian nuclear bomb. The greatest danger is the stupidity of our leaders.

"This is not a uniquely Israeli phenomenon. A great many of the world’s leaders are plain stupid, and always have been.

"Enough to look at what happened in Europe in July 1914, when an incredible accumulation of stupid politicians and incompetent generals plunged humanity into World War I.

But lately, Binyamin Netanyahu and almost the entire Israeli political establishment have achieved a new record in foolishness.

"Its prestige and influence in the region has become paramount. Its enemies in the Muslim world, Saudi Arabia and its gulf satellites, have been humiliated.

"Any military strike against it by anyone, including Israel, has become unthinkable."

The Greatest Danger to Israel is the Stupidity of Its Leaders » CounterPunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names
I wouldn't say they are stupid but rather they are aggressive, compulsively authoritarian, and extremely egotistical.

I totally agree with the title.

Don't agree with anything else he said. Cannot stand the sayer, either.

Hhhmf.

I wouldn't say they are stupid but rather they are aggressive, compulsively authoritarian, and extremely egotistical.
Avnery adds the adjective "ignorant" to your list, Mike:

"Israeli politicians, like most of their colleagues elsewhere, are not well versed in world history. They are party hacks who spend their lives in political intrigues. If they had studied history, they would not have built for themselves the trap into which they have now fallen.

"I am tempted to boast that more than two years ago I wrote that any military attack on Iran, either by Israel or the US, is impossible But it was not prophesy, inspired by some unknown deity.

"It was not even very clever.

"It was just the result of a simple look at the map.

"The Strait of Hormuz.

"Any military action against Iran was bound to lead to a major war, something in the category of Vietnam, in addition to the collapse of world oil supplies.

"Even if the US public had not been so war weary, in order to start such an adventure one would not only have to be a fool, but practically mad.

The military option is not 'off the table' – it never was 'on the table'. It was an empty pistol, and the Iranians knew this well."

I'm not sure I agree the military option was never on the table or even that it is off the table today; however, the arrogance of "King Bibi" has landed him firmly in what Avnery terms the "March of Fools."

"'We need a change of leadership, like the one Iran has begun to embark on. Unfortunately, all Israeli politicians, left and right, have joined the March of Fools. Not a single establishment voice has been raised against it. The new Labor Party leader, Yitzhak Herzog, is part of it as much as Ya’ir Lapid and Tzipi Livni.

"'As they say in Yiddish: The fools would have been amusing, if they had not been our fools.'"

Hhhmf.
Apparently, Uri's mother felt the same way:

"Avnery famously crossed the front lines and met Yasser Arafat on 3 July 1982, during the Siege of Beirut — said to have been the first time an Israeli met personally with Arafat.[16]

"His visit with Arafat was among the reasons he became estranged from his mother, Hilda Ostermann, who disinherited him.

"In her will, Hilda wrote 'I do not leave a penny to my son Uri, who instead of taking care of me went off to visit that murderer Yasser Arafat'".[17]

Uri Avnery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"His visit with Arafat was among the reasons he became estranged from his mother, Hilda Ostermann, who disinherited him. "In her will, Hilda wrote 'I do not leave a penny to my son Uri, who instead of taking care of me went off to visit that murderer Yasser Arafat'".[17]
Mommy knows.

The greatest danger is the stupidity of our leaders.
And the greatest stupidity is lapping Avnery's stupid little ideas, of course.
"After the Egyptian Revolution of 1952 Avnery used his editorials in HaOlam HaZeh to call for a preventive war against Egypt, arguing that 'the reactionary Arab regimes' would attack Israel 'the minute Arab superiority in weapons over Israel is great enough.'[11]

"He began to revise his views after the 1956 Suez Crisis, which ended in Israeli withdrawal and strengthened Nasser.[12] In June 1957 Avnery suggested that Israel aid Palestinians in overthrowing the Hashemite monarchy in Jordan (a 'product of imperialism'); Israel would then form a federation with the new Palestinian Jordanian state.[12]

"In the late 1950s Avnery was among the founders of the group Semitic Action, which argued for a regional federation of Israel and its neighbors."

Are you a product of imperialism, Drivel?

"After the Egyptian Revolution of 1952 Avnery used his editorials in HaOlam HaZeh to call for a preventive war against Egypt, arguing that 'the reactionary Arab regimes' would attack Israel 'the minute Arab superiority in weapons over Israel is great enough.'[11]"He began to revise his views after the 1956 Suez Crisis, which ended in Israeli withdrawal and strengthened Nasser.[12] In June 1957 Avnery suggested that Israel aid Palestinians in overthrowing the Hashemite monarchy in Jordan (a 'product of imperialism'); Israel would then form a federation with the new Palestinian Jordanian state.[12] "In the late 1950s Avnery was among the founders of the group Semitic Action, which argued for a regional federation of Israel and its neighbors." Are you a product of imperialism, Drivel?
Drivel.

The greatest threat to Israel is the weakness of its leaders.
What weakness?
Their inability to launch another major war in the Middle East?

Uri Avnery:

"I am tempted to boast that more than two years ago I wrote that any military attack on Iran, either by Israel or the US, is impossible But it was not prophesy, inspired by some unknown deity.

"The Strait of Hormuz.

"Any military action against Iran was bound to lead to a major war, something in the category of Vietnam, in addition to the collapse of world oil supplies.

"Even if the US public had not been so war weary, in order to start such an adventure one would not only have to be a fool, but practically mad.

"The military option is not 'off the table' – it never was 'on the table'. It was an empty pistol, and the Iranians knew this well.

"The loaded weapon was the sanctions regime. It hurt the people. It convinced the supreme leader, Ali Husseini Khamenei, to completely change the regime and install a new and very different president."

When they finally get around to fulfilling biblical prophecy and erase that filthy gold mosque then dig the deepest hole you can and kiss your ass goodbye.

Hhhmf.
Apparently, Uri's mother felt the same way:

"Avnery famously crossed the front lines and met Yasser Arafat on 3 July 1982, during the Siege of Beirut — said to have been the first time an Israeli met personally with Arafat.[16]

"His visit with Arafat was among the reasons he became estranged from his mother, Hilda Ostermann, who disinherited him.

"In her will, Hilda wrote 'I do not leave a penny to my son Uri, who instead of taking care of me went off to visit that murderer Yasser Arafat'".[17]

I wouldn't have turned my back on my son for his political opinions, I don't think a mother's love should be conditional (even if said son is a jerk), I think she should have prayed for him instead, but this was her issue.

Uri Avnery has a weird psych, though, everybody knows that

What weakness?

Uri Avnery:

"The Strait of Hormuz.

"The military option is not 'off the table' – it never was 'on the table'. It was an empty pistol, and the Iranians knew this well.

"The loaded weapon was the sanctions regime. It hurt the people. It convinced the supreme leader, Ali Husseini Khamenei, to completely change the regime and install a new and very different president."

What makes Uri Avnery so damn special he's worth quoting with such praise?

When they finally get around to fulfilling biblical prophecy and erase that filthy gold mosque then dig the deepest hole you can and kiss your ass goodbye.
If WWIII hasn't already begun in the New Middle East, it soon will (IMHO)

"Amongst the problems in the contemporary Middle East is the lack of genuine democracy which U.S. and British foreign policy has actually been deliberately obstructing.

"Western-style 'Democracy' has been a requirement only for those Middle Eastern states which do not conform to Washington’s political demands.

"Invariably, it constitutes a pretext for confrontation. Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and Jordan are examples of undemocratic states that the United States has no problems with because they are firmly alligned within the Anglo-American orbit or sphere.

"Additionally, the United States has deliberately blocked or displaced genuine democratic movements in the Middle East from Iran in 1953 (where a U.S./U.K. sponsored coup was staged against the democratic government of Prime Minister Mossadegh) to Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Turkey, the Arab Sheikdoms, and Jordan where the Anglo-American alliance supports military control, absolutists, and dictators in one form or another. The latest example of this is Palestine."

Plans for Redrawing the Middle East: The Project for a ?New Middle East? | Global Research

Some in the US believe a "small" nuclear exchange on the opposite side of the globe would not affect their food prices; I'm not so sure.

What weakness?

Uri Avnery:

"The Strait of Hormuz.

Semitic Action seems a likely candidate, to me.

"Semitic Action (Hebrew: הפעולה השמית*, HaPeulah Hashemit) was a small Israeli political group of the 1950s and 1960s which sought the creation of a regional federation encompassing Israel and its Arab neighbors..."

"In 1958 the group published a platform, titled 'The Hebrew Manifesto.'

"It described the 'Hebrew nation' in Israel as a new entity, albeit one linked to the Jewish diaspora, and called for moving beyond outmoded Zionist ideas that were now holding back the nation's development.[6]

"It put forward a program of secularism, complete civic equality between Jews and Arabs, support for anti-colonial movements, and a relationship with the diaspora based on national interest rather than ethnic, religious, or cultural ties."

Semitic Action - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Semitic Action seems a likely candidate, to me. "Semitic Action (Hebrew: ?????? ?????*, HaPeulah Hashemit) was a small Israeli political group of the 1950s and 1960s which sought the creation of a regional federation encompassing Israel and its Arab neighbors..." "In 1958 the group published a platform, titled 'The Hebrew Manifesto.' "It described the 'Hebrew nation' in Israel as a new entity, albeit one linked to the Jewish diaspora, and called for moving beyond outmoded Zionist ideas that were now holding back the nation's development.[6] "It put forward a program of secularism, complete civic equality between Jews and Arabs, support for anti-colonial movements, and a relationship with the diaspora based on national interest rather than ethnic, religious, or cultural ties."
Funny, so, how did they plan to "secularize" arabs? hehehehehe

What weakness?

Uri Avnery:

"The Strait of Hormuz.

Semitic Action seems a likely candidate, to me.

"Semitic Action (Hebrew: הפעולה השמית*, HaPeulah Hashemit) was a small Israeli political group of the 1950s and 1960s which sought the creation of a regional federation encompassing Israel and its Arab neighbors..."

"In 1958 the group published a platform, titled 'The Hebrew Manifesto.'

"It described the 'Hebrew nation' in Israel as a new entity, albeit one linked to the Jewish diaspora, and called for moving beyond outmoded Zionist ideas that were now holding back the nation's development.[6]

"It put forward a program of secularism, complete civic equality between Jews and Arabs, support for anti-colonial movements, and a relationship with the diaspora based on national interest rather than ethnic, religious, or cultural ties."

Ok, whatever sails your boat.

I think people should be praised on called heroes based on different catagories.

This guy is long forgotten, by the way, and nobody really cares for what he has to say, just FYI.

Forum List

Back