CDZ The Gun Supply Chain: People who should not have been allowed near a gun, much less to buy one

Nobody wants to eliminate one's ability to exercise their 2nd Amendment right. Sane folks who want to see gun-caused deaths ended or reduced in number and frequency have been very clear about that. One thing folks in that camp want to do is curtail the instances of seemingly "okay to own a gun" folks exercising that right and then abusing it by shooting another individual, or threatening them with being shot.
A material percentage of the guns used in criminal activity are purchased legally, purchased by people who, prior to abusing their gun (gun right), demonstrated no justifiable reason why they should not have been denied the ability to exercise their 2nd Amendment right.
Now one cannot in good conscience and sound mind argue in favor of less strict controls on the gun trade using the assertion that (1) a material share of gun buyers exhibit the responsibility required to deserve to exercise their 2nd Amendment right, and (2) at the same time cite the fact most or many guns used nefariously are stolen. Those two facts, assuming they are both true, just don't fit together.

Donald Wayne Bricker, Jr., who pled guilty to shooting his ex-girlfriend, provides an archetypal example of one sort of individual whom I have in mind and who should never have been able to acquire so much as water gun, let alone one that could be used to morally shoot someone.
Donald Wayne Bricker Jr., [a convicted sex offender,] was denied bail after prosecutors told the judge that the gun that Bricker used to allegedly shoot and kill Mariam Folashade Adebayo in the parking lot of the Target store in Germantown had arrived in the mail to his home only that morning. [Senior Assistant State’s Attorney Deborah W.]Feinstein told the court that Bricker had previously purchased 100 rounds of ammunition for the antique and practiced firing it at least once before going to meet Adebayo in the parking lot on Monday evening.

[Senior Assistant State’s Attorney Deborah W.] Feinstein further outlined that violent nature of Bricker telling the court that the gun which Bricker is said to have used had arrived in the mail at his residence in Hagerstown on the morning of the day of the murder. She said that because Bricker, a convicted sex offender and could not legally purchase a firearm, use a loophole in the law to order a replica antique “black powder” gun online and had it delivered through the mail. The purchase of antique firearms and replicas of antique guns is not regulated.​

The above data makes clear that identifying effective and equitable means for dramatically reducing the availability of guns to folks who have nefarious intentions for their use is well worth pursuing. But just how does the supply chain for guns work? How does one interdict transactions and processes in that supply chain that enable current and would be nefarious gun users/abusers from getting hold of a firearm?

According to Dr. Phillip Cook, a professor of public policy at Duke University:

While criminals typically do not buy their guns at a store, all but a tiny fraction of the guns in circulation in the United States are first sold at retail by a gun dealer—including the guns that eventually end up in the hands of criminals. That first retail sale was most likely legal, in that the clerk followed federal and state requirements for documentation, a background check and record-keeping. While there are scofflaw dealers who sometimes make under-the-counter deals, that is by no means the norm.

If a gun ends up in criminal use, it is usually after several more transactions. The average age of guns taken from Chicago gangs is over 11 years. The gun at that point has been diverted from legal commerce. In this respect, the supply chain for guns is similar to the supply chain for other products that have a large legal market but are subject to diversion. In the case of guns, diversion from licit possession and exchange can occur in a variety of ways: theft, purchase at a gun show by an interstate trafficker, private sales where no questions are asked, straw purchases by girlfriends and so forth.

What appears to be true is that there are few big operators in this domain. The typical trafficker or underground broker is not making a living that way, but rather just making a few dollars on the side. The supply chain for guns used in crime bears little relationship to the supply chain for heroin or cocaine and is much more akin to the supply chain for cigarettes and beer that are diverted to underage teenagers.

There have been few attempts to estimate the scope or scale of the underground market, in part because it is not at all clear what types of transactions should be included in that market. But for the sake of having some order-of-magnitude estimate, suppose we just focus on the number of transactions each year that supply the guns actually used in robbery or assault.

There are about 500,000 violent crimes committed with a gun each year. If the average number of times that an offender commits a robbery or assault with a particular gun is twice, then (assuming patterns of criminal gun use remain constant) the total number of transactions of concern is 250,000 per year.

Actually no one knows the average number of times a specific gun is used by an offender who uses it at least once. If it is more than twice, then there are even fewer relevant transactions. That compares with total sales volume by licensed dealers, which is upwards of 20 million per year.

All in the family

So how do gang members, violent criminals, underage youths and other dangerous people get their guns?

A consistent answer emerges from the inmate surveys and from ethnographic studies. Whether guns that end up being used in crime are purchased, swapped, borrowed, shared or stolen, the most likely source is someone known to the offender, an acquaintance or family member. That Farook’s friend and neighbor was the source of two of his guns is quite typical, despite the unique circumstances otherwise.

Also important are “street” sources, such as gang members and drug dealers, which may also entail a prior relationship. Thus, social networks are playing an important role in facilitating transactions, and an individual (such as a gang member) who tends to hang out with people who have guns will find it relatively easy to obtain one.

Effective policing of the underground gun market could help to separate guns from everyday violent crime. Currently it is rare for those who provide guns to offenders to face any legal consequences, and changing that situation will require additional resources directed to a proactive enforcement directed at penetrating the social networks of gun offenders. Needless to say, that effort is not cheap or easy and requires that both the police and the courts have the necessary authority and give this sort of gun enforcement high priority.

It appears that the extraordinarily intense investigation of the San Bernardino shootings has succeeded in identifying the individual in Farook’s social network who provided him with the assault weapons. The fact that Enrique Marquez is likely to pay a price may help discourage such perverse neighborliness in the future.​

Based on the above information, two things are quite clear to me:
  • The supply chain individuals, those who have no business obtaining a firearm, may use to obtain a firearm need to be eliminated, or at least broken at the point whereby those persons obtain their access to guns.
  • Something needs to be done to make more facile prosecutors' efforts to bring to justice "okay to buy guns" folks who abet gun abusers in their quest to obtain firearms.
The task of identifying effective approaches to achieving those two objective rests not just with gun control devotees, but also with gun rights advocates. Folks on both sides of the matter, as Americans, have an obligation to collaborate to identify and implement solutions that reduce the quantity of gun killings and injuries. In light of that, what specific tactics does the gun lobby propose to accomplish the two objectives noted just above?

Ok, you start off with a lie: "Nobody wants to eliminate one's ability to exercise their 2nd Amendment right." and that makes it difficult to read anything else in your post.

If we dealt appropriately with such criminals, then there'd be no reason to argue about whether they should be allowed to vote or bear arms. They'd all be either dead or in prison.

Well, if that isn't a draconian, simple and balmy solution -- lifelong imprisonment or death for all persons convicted of a felony -- I don't know what is.

That's not what I said.

The concept of a “felony” has, like most government powers, been far overextended. One study has it that the average American, without any malicious intent, unwittingly and unknowingly commits three felonies a day. That's not a statement about the criminal tendencies of Americans, but about the madness of our system of laws; that surrenders far too much control of our lives to government.

What I advocate is that violent criminals, who have proven that they are dangerous to others and cannot be trusted in free society, must never be returned to free society. Like many things, this used to be simple common sense.

So any felon with a history of violence can own a gun?

If he's that dangerous, then he should never be returned to free society. He should be either put to death, or else kept in prison for life.

Failure, on the part of government, to fulfill this simple and obvious purpose, is no excuse for it to violate the Constitution or to interfere with the free exercise by any free American, of any of the rights that the Constitution affirms.
Our current system does not keep violent felons locked up forever does it?

So while we wait for that to happen what do you propose we do to at least make it as difficult as possible for felons or anyone with a criminal record from getting guns

FAILURE ON THE PART OF GOVERNMENT TO PROPERLY DEAL WITH DANGEROUS CRIMINALS IS NOT AN EXCUSE FOR IT TO VIOLATE THE CONSTITUTION, AND INTERFERE WITH THE RIGHTS OF ANY FREE CITIZEN!

Your argument is to reward malfeasance and incompetence on the part of government, by giving it even more power, that it has no legitimate cause to have.

If he's that dangerous, then he should never be returned to free society. He should be either put to death, or else kept in prison for life.

Failure, on the part of government, to fulfill this simple and obvious purpose, is no excuse for it to violate the Constitution or to interfere with the free exercise by any free American, of any of the rights that the Constitution affirms.
Our current system does not keep violent felons locked up forever does it?

So while we wait for that to happen what do you propose we do to at least make it as difficult as possible for felons or anyone with a criminal record from getting guns

FAILURE ON THE PART OF GOVERNMENT TO PROPERLY DEAL WITH DANGEROUS CRIMINALS IS NOT AN EXCUSE FOR IT TO VIOLATE THE CONSTITUTION, AND INTERFERE WITH THE RIGHTS OF ANY FREE CITIZEN!

So it is your position that anyone with a violent criminal past be able to buy firearms with no questions asked

As long as we keep focusing one the "How" and not the "why" of violence, people will continue to get killed and all of our rights will be in jeopardy. We spend NO time trying to figure out "why" we have become so violent mostly because the "how" we manifest that violence (guns) is a better political pawn. The left focuses on gun violence while ignoring the other violent acts for political gain.

If we spent as much effort trying to find out "why" we have become so violent, we would be a LOT closer to ending or reducing it than we will with useless and oppressive gun laws. But the left isn't really interested in saving lives or reducing crime. They are only interested in power.

All of which is blatantly unconstitutional. Where, in the words, “…the right of the people…shall not be infringed”, do you find any justification for government to interfere to that degree with the people's exercise of the right so affirmed?

I don't see that as in infringement. It's not stopping anyone legally allowed to purchase a gun from obtaining one.

I don't have a problem denying convicted felons the right to own guns do you?

It's requiring one to obtain permission from government,and to prove that one meets government's arbitrary requirements,as a condition of being allowed to exercise a right. It allows government to presume someone guilty,and on that basis, to deny that person a right, until that person proves himself innocent.

It makes a mockery of the principles on which our Constitution and our legal system are based; and puts government in the role of our master, rather than our servant.

While I'm totally against any type of weapon ban or magazine limits I don't want anyone with a criminal record to have a weapon. So if I want to buy a gun from a friend it's no big deal to me to meet him at a nearby gun shop and have a dealer involved in the loop.

Oh, my...you've proposed a proactive regulation that aims to reduced the possibility that folks who have no business getting a gun can get a gun.

Though I don't right now have an opinion about your suggestion, that it's a creative idea that addresses the matter at hand is a good thing. Concur with it or not, it's at least something positive and that can be built upon and/or used to inspire even better approaches. Innovative solution ideas are what I asked for in the OP. TY for providing one.

A preventive measure will not stop a criminal from illegally obtaining a gun. Which is what I said about all laws. The only thing my suggestion will do is to make sure a law abiding gun owner will not inadvertently sell to a criminal. It will not stop a criminal from illegally obtaining a gun

There will certainly be some whom such a measure won't stop. There will be others whom it will deter effectively. I have no illusory expectation that any law will inhibit every criminal. My goal, what I think must be the national goal, is to stop enough of the "wrong" people from getting a gun so that the quantity of gun deaths and injuries is reduced, ideally, but not necessarily, by a material figure and rate.

Of course, with the will and means at their command, nobody, criminal or not, will be effectively dissuaded and interdicted in their acting in any given way. It's the extent of one's commitment to acting "thusly" that drives the extent to which one will go to achieve their end(s). That said, laws can be tailored to impose a sufficiently high degree of risk that ever larger quantities of individuals become increasingly reticent to incur that risk. We use laws in two main ways: to inspire behavior and to discourage behavior. Both approaches are basically Pavlovian in nature, that which is why they generally work if they are well designed; moreover, all laws, lawmakers and governments assume the people subject to enacted law will apply some sort of cost-benefit analysis (maybe qualitative, maybe quantitative, maybe a combination of each) in deciding whether to pursue a given course of action.

Two examples of laws that proactively drive the behavior and intentions of many, perhaps most, people:
  • We already have prescriptive on the sale and distribution of fully automatic firearms. Those proscriptions make it sufficiently hard to get a fully automatic weapon that very few criminals get them and in turn use them when committing their crime(s). Does that impede every criminal's efforts to obtain one? No, but it puts the kibosh on many folks ability to do so, and among the folks who thus don't get hold of them are criminals. That's a good thing.
  • We have in place a law -- mortgage interest deduction -- that tacitly encourages home ownership. Does everyone buy a home? Clearly no, but most folks prefer doing so to renting. (I don't cotton to the existence of the mortgage interest deduction, but not liking its extancy doesn't make me oblivious to the fact that it motivates behavior and desire.)
It's worth noting that of the two examples cited, one is a direct discouragement and the other is an indirect encouragement. Laws also can be structured to indirectly discourage behavior and directly encourage it.

So it is your position that anyone with a violent criminal past be able to buy firearms with no questions asked

If he's free, and not under any sentence, then yes, absolutely.

Any other position is irreconcilable with the Constitution, as it currently stands.

If you have a problem with this, then seek to have the Constitution amended to overturn the Second Amendment.

If we dealt appropriately with such criminals, then there'd be no reason to argue about whether they should be allowed to vote or bear arms. They'd all be either dead or in prison.

Well, if that isn't a draconian, simple and balmy solution -- lifelong imprisonment or death for all persons convicted of a felony -- I don't know what is.

That's not what I said.

The concept of a “felony” has, like most government powers, been far overextended. One study has it that the average American, without any malicious intent, unwittingly and unknowingly commits three felonies a day. That's not a statement about the criminal tendencies of Americans, but about the madness of our system of laws; that surrenders far too much control of our lives to government.

What I advocate is that violent criminals, who have proven that they are dangerous to others and cannot be trusted in free society, must never be returned to free society. Like many things, this used to be simple common sense.

Red:
I realize that what I wrote reflects the inference I drew from your remarks rather than the literal words you wrote. I didn't and don't need you to tell me that.

Blue and the prior remark about how felons should be handled:
If you are basing the merit of your remark about how felons be penalized on the complexity of the American legal code, I suggest you not do so. The reason why will become apparent in the next section.

Blue and Pink:
American jurisprudence has two key concepts -- actus rea and mens rea -- that in many cases must be present in order for one to be convicted of a crime. There are some acts that require the state (prosecution) only bear the burden of proving the existence of actus rea and the identity of the actor, and those crimes are called "strict liability" crimes. Most strict liability offenses are misdemeanors, but there are some, like statutory rape, that are felonies.

The purpose of requiring proof of mens rea in order to garner a conviction is to ensure that folks do not go to jail for accidentally or ignorantly violating a law. The existence of the mens rea concept and element of a prosecutor's burden of proof is why insanity is a defense that will succeed if a defense attorney can show credibly that the offender was or likely was insane when s/he acted.

An incidental consequence of the mens rea requirement is that folks who do indeed commit what clearly is a criminal act and who also lack intent to violate the law are not prosecuted (they may or may not be charged). Thus, although citizens may indeed commit technical felonies several times a day, when it's pretty clear they had no intent to do so, neither the police nor prosecutors will move to abduct and try them for violating whatever law they may have violated. The rightful consequence of that is that the complexity of the legal code doesn't matter for one isn't generally going to be held accountable for one's unintentional violations of it.

Pink:
What are some examples of these felonious acts to which you refer?

IMO anyone who has proven that they cannot be trusted in public with a weapon, should NOT be allowed in public.

PERIOD.

Nothing can be done to stop anyone from obtaining a weapon if they want one. You may make it more difficult to obtain, but there is no fool proof way to prevent anyone from obtaining a tool to increase their ability to injure others.

I will go so far as to argue that if widespread gun ownership was the government's interest, and that in order to graduate from high school everyone had to demonstrate safe and proficient handling we would have a LOT LESS criminals because they would have been thinned out generations ago because of acute victim selection failure.

WE DO NOT HAVE A GUN PROBLEM IN THIS COUNTRY.

We have a severe cultural problem. Thugs are not reviled, they're exalted. Those who do possess the means and will to combat thugs are met with suspicion and contempt within the media and pop culture. It's utter insanity but it's also a symptom of liberalism run amok.

Last edited:
I don't see that as in infringement. It's not stopping anyone legally allowed to purchase a gun from obtaining one.

I don't have a problem denying convicted felons the right to own guns do you?

It's requiring one to obtain permission from government,and to prove that one meets government's arbitrary requirements,as a condition of being allowed to exercise a right. It allows government to presume someone guilty,and on that basis, to deny that person a right, until that person proves himself innocent.

It makes a mockery of the principles on which our Constitution and our legal system are based; and puts government in the role of our master, rather than our servant.

While I'm totally against any type of weapon ban or magazine limits I don't want anyone with a criminal record to have a weapon. So if I want to buy a gun from a friend it's no big deal to me to meet him at a nearby gun shop and have a dealer involved in the loop.

Oh, my...you've proposed a proactive regulation that aims to reduced the possibility that folks who have no business getting a gun can get a gun.

Though I don't right now have an opinion about your suggestion, that it's a creative idea that addresses the matter at hand is a good thing. Concur with it or not, it's at least something positive and that can be built upon and/or used to inspire even better approaches. Innovative solution ideas are what I asked for in the OP. TY for providing one.

A preventive measure will not stop a criminal from illegally obtaining a gun. Which is what I said about all laws. The only thing my suggestion will do is to make sure a law abiding gun owner will not inadvertently sell to a criminal. It will not stop a criminal from illegally obtaining a gun

There will certainly be some whom such a measure won't stop. There will be others whom it will deter effectively. I have no illusory expectation that any law will inhibit every criminal. My goal, what I think must be the national goal, is to stop enough of the "wrong" people from getting a gun so that the quantity of gun deaths and injuries is reduced, ideally, but not necessarily, by a material figure and rate.

Of course, with the will and means at their command, nobody, criminal or not, will be effectively dissuaded and interdicted in their acting in any given way. It's the extent of one's commitment to acting "thusly" that drives the extent to which one will go to achieve their end(s). That said, laws can be tailored to impose a sufficiently high degree of risk that ever larger quantities of individuals become increasingly reticent to incur that risk. We use laws in two main ways: to inspire behavior and to discourage behavior. Both approaches are basically Pavlovian in nature, that which is why they generally work if they are well designed; moreover, all laws, lawmakers and governments assume the people subject to enacted law will apply some sort of cost-benefit analysis (maybe qualitative, maybe quantitative, maybe a combination of each) in deciding whether to pursue a given course of action.

Two examples of laws that proactively drive the behavior and intentions of many, perhaps most, people:
  • We already have prescriptive on the sale and distribution of fully automatic firearms. Those proscriptions make it sufficiently hard to get a fully automatic weapon that very few criminals get them and in turn use them when committing their crime(s). Does that impede every criminal's efforts to obtain one? No, but it puts the kibosh on many folks ability to do so, and among the folks who thus don't get hold of them are criminals. That's a good thing.
  • We have in place a law -- mortgage interest deduction -- that tacitly encourages home ownership. Does everyone buy a home? Clearly no, but most folks prefer doing so to renting. (I don't cotton to the existence of the mortgage interest deduction, but not liking its extancy doesn't make me oblivious to the fact that it motivates behavior and desire.)
It's worth noting that of the two examples cited, one is a direct discouragement and the other is an indirect encouragement. Laws also can be structured to indirectly discourage behavior and directly encourage it.

We already have prescriptive on the sale and distribution of fully automatic firearms. Those proscriptions make it sufficiently hard to get a fully automatic weapon that very few criminals get them and in turn use them when committing their crime(s). Does that impede every criminal's efforts to obtain one? No, but it puts the kibosh on many folks ability to do so, and among the folks who thus don't get hold of them are criminals. That's a good thing.

Wrong...that is not why our criminals don't use fully automatic weapons...they don't use them because they are hard to coneal in a baby mommas purse or under the seat of a car or to hide in a drug house......

Criminals in France and Europe culturally prefer fully automatic weapons.....they are considered a status symbol for crimnals in France....

The best way to discourage gun crime is to put a long sentence on gun crime.....for reasons of race, our politicians refuse to do this....our prosecutors do not punish felons caught with guns with prosecution, and judges do not punish gun criminals with long sentences...

You are wrong on both points.

in order to graduate from high school everyone had to demonstrate safe and proficient handling

Thank you. There's another innovative solution idea. Whether it'll work I cannot say, but it's a far more useful idea to air than is that of poo-pooing others' ideas. I'd be willing to at least try implementing your suggestion to find out whether it has any impact.

I will go so far as to argue that if widespread gun ownership was the government's interest, and that in order to graduate from high school everyone had to demonstrate safe and proficient handling we would have a LOT LESS criminals because they would have been thinned out generations ago because of acute victim selection failure.

Just as a rhetorical point, your sentence is a hypothesis not an argument. I heartily encourage you to support the validity and veracity your hypothesis with an argument based on objective, critical, rigorous and rationally germane research, facts, premises, inferences and intermediate conclusions. I'm interested in seeing that argument for I like the innovativeness of your hypothesized proposal as goes its plausibility for reducing the rate of gun deaths in the U.S.

We already have prescriptive on the sale and distribution of fully automatic firearms. Those proscriptions make it sufficiently hard to get a fully automatic weapon that very few criminals get them and in turn use them when committing their crime(s). Does that impede every criminal's efforts to obtain one? No, but it puts the kibosh on many folks ability to do so, and among the folks who thus don't get hold of them are criminals. That's a good thing.

Wrong...that is not why our criminals don't use fully automatic weapons...they don't use them because they are hard to coneal in a baby mommas purse or under the seat of a car or to hide in a drug house......

Criminals in France and Europe culturally prefer fully automatic weapons.....they are considered a status symbol for crimnals in France....

The best way to discourage gun crime is to put a long sentence on gun crime.....for reasons of race, our politicians refuse to do this....our prosecutors do not punish felons caught with guns with prosecution, and judges do not punish gun criminals with long sentences...

So, you admit that the control methods used to keep criminals from obtaining fully automatic weapons work?

IMO anyone who has proven that they cannot be trusted in public with a weapon, should NOT be allowed in public.

PERIOD.

Nothing can be done to stop anyone from obtaining a weapon if they want one. You may make it more difficult to obtain, but there is no fool proof way to prevent anyone from obtaining a tool to increase their ability to injure others.

We have a severe cultural problem. Thugs are not reviled, they're exalted. Those who do possess the means and will to combat thugs are met with suspicion and contempt within the media and pop culture. It's utter insanity but it's also a symptom of liberalism run amok.

We have BOTH a cultural problem (as evidence by our sick, irrational love of guns) AND a gun problem in this country. As usual, the answers to these problems are more complicated and nuanced than blockheaded rednecks choose to admit.

So, you admit that the control methods used to keep criminals from obtaining fully automatic weapons work?

Careful. If you admit to that, then you have to admit "Gun Control Works".

PERIOD.

We have BOTH a cultural problem (as evidence by our sick, irrational love of guns) AND a gun problem in this country. As usual, the answers to these problems are more complicated and nuanced than blockheaded rednecks choose to admit.

Gary, let's take a look at Chicago , as an example

which would reduce crime more.

Removing all guns from Chicago
Removing all negroes from Chicago

The answer is obvious

Why do you keep pretending that guns are the problem rather than a tool used BY the problem?

Surprise, I DO admit that.

PERIOD.

The answer is obvious

Why do you keep pretending that guns are the problem rather than a tool used BY the problem?

What are you saying with this ridiculously racist, strawman argument? That genocide is the answer to end violence? Is it possible there are alternatives?

Fully auto weapons require a federal permit that is very expensive. No one who jumps through all those hoops is going to sell to a criminal.

So I suppose you want the same expensive federal permitting process for your average everyday semiauto .22 right?

PERIOD.

The answer is obvious

What are you saying with this ridiculously racist, strawman argument? That genocide is the answer to end violence? Is it possible there are alternatives?

Racism? Genocide?

It's not racism to point out that blacks are disproportionately responsible for crime in this country and at NO point did I suggest killing anyone.

Why lie like that?

PERIOD.

The answer is obvious

There are.

Put everyone caught with an illegally obtained weapon in federal prison for 25 years for one

Forum List

Back