The huge dockworker strike. Here's what these unskilled laborers are demanding.

StatesRightsForever

Diamond Member
May 1, 2024
Pretty good pay for work a trained monkey can do. OTOH we got dumb jocks and entertainers making $100 million a year. Wages make no sense in america.

oct 2 2024 The ILA contract that expired on Monday shows that the starting pay for dockworkers was $20 per hour. Pay rises to $24.75 after two years, $31.90 after three and tops out at $39 for workers with at least six years on the job.
Meanwhile, the ILA is demanding a 77% increase over the duration of the contract, with a $5 increase each year of the contract. Workers would make $44 the first year, $49 the second and up to $69 in the final year.

Pretty good pay for work a trained monkey can do. OTOH we got dumb jocks and entertainers making $100 million a year. Wages make no sense in america.

They are going to price themselves out of a job. Pretty much everything they do can be automated.

They are going to price themselves out of a job. Pretty much everything they do can be automated.
That is what they are striking for as well. NO Automation. I worked with the IBEW in the bay area at one time and got written up when the steward heard my ratchet wrench. I was written up for using a "speed wrench" instead of a combo because it was faster. SMH. Unions are well beyond their expiration date.

longshoremanunionbosshouse.png

longshoremanunionbossrichman.png

Operating multi-million-dollar container handling equipment is hardly a job for unskilled workers. Go climb up on one of those massive Crains. See if you can get it started without killing everybody close by, and then come back and talk about unskilled labor.

$20 ,per hour to start? Sad pay.
What in the hell did you do for a living that you sneer at decent wages for unskilled labor? My last job was as government contractor and paid $18.00 an hour with no benefits. You didn't even have to have a high school diploma to do the job but you had to have some connection to the military to be hired.

What in the hell did you do for a living that you sneer at decent wages for unskilled labor? My last job was as government contractor and paid $18.00 an hour with no benefits. You didn't even have to have a high school diploma to do the job but you had to have some connection to the military to be hired.
Are you seriously stating that longshore workers have no skills.

I've been 'sneered' at my entire career as a blue collar Admiral

I've turned it around to a $$$ in my pocket, doing my best Forest Gump as i do.....
1727911021110.png

~S~

I'm all for compromise here but $20 per hour? And supposedly affects the economy if they show up or not? Wow. Just wow.

Forum List

Back