The Ice Bucket Challenge, and why I hate it.

martybegan

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2010
The latest Facebook fad is the Ice bucket challenge, where you post a video of yourself dousing yourself with ice water and call out 3 people to do the same or donate $100 to ALS research.

Now I have nothing against novel or quirky marketing methods when it comes to charity, and this certainly fits the bill, however my gripe is that this is nothing more than an online chain letter. No matter how noble the cause, or how innocent the action is, (the ice bath) its still a chain letter.

Chain letters are the lowest form of compulsion out there. its basically a way of propagating something though guilt or fear, i.e. a sob story about someone wanting the chain to reach 100,000 people, or bad luck will happen if you break the chain.

Here, on the other hand, will be public ridicule to people who don't want to participate. I have nothing against ALS research, supporting it, or doing things stupid like having ice water over your head, what I have a problem with is the implied licence given to people to call you out to do it, and the public forum in which they are doing it.

I was bullied as a child, and to me this is nothing more than peer pressure to get you to conform by donating or dousing (or both). This is not asking, it is challenging, and I find that riles me up something awful. I am hoping people will notice I do not propagate the chain, and if I do get called out, I don't know if I am going to ignore it, or speak my position on the whole thing.

I was bullied as a child, and to me this is nothing more than peer pressure to get you to conform by donating or dousing (or both). This is not asking, it is challenging, and I find that riles me up something awful. I am hoping people will notice I do not propagate the chain, and if I do get called out, I don't know if I am going to ignore it, or speak my position on the whole thing.

Toughen up.. Quit your bitching

The latest Facebook fad is the Ice bucket challenge, where you post a video of yourself dousing yourself with ice water and call out 3 people to do the same or donate $100 to ALS research.

Now I have nothing against novel or quirky marketing methods when it comes to charity, and this certainly fits the bill, however my gripe is that this is nothing more than an online chain letter. No matter how noble the cause, or how innocent the action is, (the ice bath) its still a chain letter.

Chain letters are the lowest form of compulsion out there. its basically a way of propagating something though guilt or fear, i.e. a sob story about someone wanting the chain to reach 100,000 people, or bad luck will happen if you break the chain.

Here, on the other hand, will be public ridicule to people who don't want to participate. I have nothing against ALS research, supporting it, or doing things stupid like having ice water over your head, what I have a problem with is the implied licence given to people to call you out to do it, and the public forum in which they are doing it.

You're named...

Do it!

Sac up beyotch.

Kindly go play a game of hide and go fuck yourself.

You're named...

Do it!

Sac up beyotch.

Not happening.

OP wants people to die of ALS!

memes-meme-pictures-Favim.com-999669.jpg

Kindly go play a game of hide and go fuck yourself.

OMG I was bullied as a child.. Its life get over it..

Forum List

Back