The Impeachment Trial of Donald Trump: Can He be Convicted?

How do you figure he will wind up there? That is a maximum security facility. What has Trump done that would warrant that?
Besides that, all he has to do is stay out of NY and they can't touch him. I can see "For Sale" signs listed on on his property in NY anyway.

If New York charges him with a crime that is also a crime in Florida ... he can be extradited ... at this time New York hasn't unsealed any charges against The Donald, so we don't know what or even if there's charges forthcoming ... the speculation is these charges are going to be fraud in association with Trump University ... that's illegal in all 50 States and most nations around the world ... The Donald would have to flee to some country that doesn't have extradition treaties with the USA ... like Russia ...

Does New York have civil asset forfeiture laws? ... most States do ... they could just take all his property in the State before he could sell it ... then sell it themselves and keep the money ...

Slim to none, and slim just left the building.
I would not be too sure of that. Republicans are abandoning him like rats from a sinking ship. They know the damage that he has done to the Reoublican brand and they know that the country can't go through another 4 years of him. Hell the world cant either. I am willing to bet that there are enough Republicans who are willing to risk the rath of his base for the good of the country. And there are senators with presidential ambitions who do not want him gunking up their primary field

They know the damage that he has done to the Reoublican brand

They also know the damage the Party would take were he to be convicted.

At best, they will get 57 votes, (a guess), of the 67 needed to convict
Actually the party may well be damaged beyond repair already given the deep division that he has created. I predict that the party will split into two, possibly s soon as the midterms. You will have the "Regular Repulicans " Mwho still have some semblance of sanity, and the Trump-publicans, or the QAnon Shamin Republicans or maybe the Patriot Party which would be a real joke
Probably the wounds will heal and the party moves forward as one.

I wonder....maybe this is a point at which new parties can emerge?

BY RALPH NADER

Texas Congressman Joaquin Castro ... asked his colleagues: “If inciting a deadly insurrection is not enough to get a president impeached, then what is?” Ten Republicans voted for Impeachment, but 197 House Republicans disagreed....

Congressional Republicans have aided and abetted, for four years, Trump’s assertion that ... “I can do whatever I want as president.” Dangerous Donald did just that. He finally incited a massive, homicidal street crime against the very Congress that let him get away with everything, day after day ...

The GOP speakers who defended Trump in the House Impeachment debate will go down in history as unsurpassed political cowards ... Trump’s Congressional protectors, however, failed. The House of Representatives voted for Articles of Impeachment that are on their way to the Senate for a certain trial. The Senate should convict treacherous unrepentant Trump and ban him from ever seeking federal office again....

Trump’s business allies and supporters are not waiting for any verdicts. Major corporations such as Disney, Coca-Cola, and J.P. Morgan Chase have suspended campaign contributions to the GOP. Last week, the powerful National Association of Manufacturers demanded that Trump be removed from office under the 25th Amendment. Trump’s banks, to whom he owes hundreds of millions of dollars, are distancing themselves from their insatiable borrower....

McConnell ... is turning against Trump by declining to oppose Impeachment and signaling that he may unleash his Republican Senators to convict Trump, if only for their own political survival. The GOP polls are slipping and will slip more as the toxic stench of what occurred before and during the January 6th attack increases....

McConnell does not want Trump either to run or threaten to run again in 2024. The only way that yoke can be lifted is to free 17 or more Republican Senators to vote for conviction followed by a simple majority vote banning Trump from future federal office...

What are the probabilities that a conviction in the Senate will be achieved? Better than 50/50, given the survival instincts of the politicians wanting ... Trump off their backs.

The Impeachment Trial of Donald Trump: Can He be Convicted? - CounterPunch.org

I think Trump will be convicted.. Not only for what he's done, but because the Republican party needs to purge the Trumps. The GOP made a mistake when they supported the dumbest and most corrupt man we have ever had in the WH.

That's why you are quickly becoming known on this message board as complete and total mental case! Keep up the good work!

Trump and his sons have threatened the GOP.. including and specifically the Republicans in Georgia. He's out for revenge because he lost the election. They need to get rid of him ..

Threatened? This must be another one of your mental excursions where no man has gone before. You are pathetic!

Yep.. Trump is recorded threatening the GA SOS and claiming he was a smuck for backing Kemp.. Its was an hour's worth of insults and intimidation. Trump's son Don junior told the Republicans in DC that if they didn't back Trump he was going to be working against them in their back yards. You must have seen him on the news or on video. Eric is mostly incoherent but he also threatened the GOP.

The GOP can do better.. They need to run someone smart and decent like Evan McMullen.. Trump was a horrible mistake.
McMullen is CIA. Always will be. Bad idea. With fraud, maybe.

17 votes sure seems like a stretch.

I'm not even sure that McConnell is as powerful in this as I'm hearing. These people are terrified of being primaried, murdered, or both, so no doubt many will vote against conviction while wishing they could vote for it. I don't know that getting his blessing or partnership in voting for conviction is their top priority.

Here's hoping, but I'd definitely put the odds at less than 50/50.
There's a great idea floating around that would suit everyone.

The Constitution says the conviction requires 2/3 of those present.

A quorum of the Senate is a simple majority of 51.

The Republicans too scared to vote can all get a headache that day and the Democrats can impeach him.

if McConnell is serious about wanting Trump convicted, he'll back this plan, since the last thing he ever wants is for his senators to make unpopular votes.

Does New York have civil asset forfeiture laws? ... most States do ... they could just take all his property in the State before he could sell it ... then sell it themselves and keep the money ...
More likely New York would place a lien aginst all Trump properties. This would prevent a "clear title" sale of any of the properties. This would not stop Trump from finding somebody dumb enough to give him money for a property they could not get title to.

Kinda like selling somebody a stolen car. You might find somebody dumb enough to give you 10 cents on a dollar.

BY RALPH NADER

Texas Congressman Joaquin Castro ... asked his colleagues: “If inciting a deadly insurrection is not enough to get a president impeached, then what is?” Ten Republicans voted for Impeachment, but 197 House Republicans disagreed....

Congressional Republicans have aided and abetted, for four years, Trump’s assertion that ... “I can do whatever I want as president.” Dangerous Donald did just that. He finally incited a massive, homicidal street crime against the very Congress that let him get away with everything, day after day ...

The GOP speakers who defended Trump in the House Impeachment debate will go down in history as unsurpassed political cowards ... Trump’s Congressional protectors, however, failed. The House of Representatives voted for Articles of Impeachment that are on their way to the Senate for a certain trial. The Senate should convict treacherous unrepentant Trump and ban him from ever seeking federal office again....

Trump’s business allies and supporters are not waiting for any verdicts. Major corporations such as Disney, Coca-Cola, and J.P. Morgan Chase have suspended campaign contributions to the GOP. Last week, the powerful National Association of Manufacturers demanded that Trump be removed from office under the 25th Amendment. Trump’s banks, to whom he owes hundreds of millions of dollars, are distancing themselves from their insatiable borrower....

McConnell ... is turning against Trump by declining to oppose Impeachment and signaling that he may unleash his Republican Senators to convict Trump, if only for their own political survival. The GOP polls are slipping and will slip more as the toxic stench of what occurred before and during the January 6th attack increases....

McConnell does not want Trump either to run or threaten to run again in 2024. The only way that yoke can be lifted is to free 17 or more Republican Senators to vote for conviction followed by a simple majority vote banning Trump from future federal office...

What are the probabilities that a conviction in the Senate will be achieved? Better than 50/50, given the survival instincts of the politicians wanting ... Trump off their backs.

I think Trump will be convicted.. Not only for what he's done, but because the Republican party needs to purge the Trumps. The GOP made a mistake when they supported the dumbest and most corrupt man we have ever had in the WH.

That's why you are quickly becoming known on this message board as complete and total mental case! Keep up the good work!

Trump and his sons have threatened the GOP.. including and specifically the Republicans in Georgia. He's out for revenge because he lost the election. They need to get rid of him ..

Threatened? This must be another one of your mental excursions where no man has gone before. You are pathetic!

Yep.. Trump is recorded threatening the GA SOS and claiming he was a smuck for backing Kemp.. Its was an hour's worth of insults and intimidation. Trump's son Don junior told the Republicans in DC that if they didn't back Trump he was going to be working against them in their back yards. You must have seen him on the news or on video. Eric is mostly incoherent but he also threatened the GOP.

The GOP can do better.. They need to run someone smart and decent like Evan McMullen.. Trump was a horrible mistake.
McMullen is CIA. Always will be. Bad idea. With fraud, maybe.

He's much more than that. Look at his background..

How do you figure he will wind up there? That is a maximum security facility. What has Trump done that would warrant that?
Besides that, all he has to do is stay out of NY and they can't touch him. I can see "For Sale" signs listed on on his property in NY anyway.

If New York charges him with a crime that is also a crime in Florida ... he can be extradited ... at this time New York hasn't unsealed any charges against The Donald, so we don't know what or even if there's charges forthcoming ... the speculation is these charges are going to be fraud in association with Trump University ... that's illegal in all 50 States and most nations around the world ... The Donald would have to flee to some country that doesn't have extradition treaties with the USA ... like Russia ...

Did you forget who is the governor of Florida?

Trump University? He settled that case years ago, dumbass!

You cannot seize funds without a conviction. Have a nice day!

You cannot seize funds without a conviction. Have a nice day!
Under federal laws, property may also be seized in civil proceedings or by administrative action, without a judge's involvement. Civil and administrative forfeiture do not require a criminal conviction.

Asset Forfeiture Policy Manual (2019) - Department of Justice
www.justice.gov › criminal-afmls › file › download

Claims and Asset Forfeiture Actions. Under the Supplemental Rules, no arrest warrant is needed

Bubba didn't finish Middle School ... "A Person charged in any State with Treason, Felony, or other Crime, who shall flee from Justice, and be found in another State, shall on Demand of the executive Authority of the State from which he fled, be delivered up, to be removed to the State having Jurisdiction of the Crime." -- Article IV, Section 2 ...

You must hate the United States to have never read her Constitution ...

It's a thing in many States ... only a few have dropped this ...

Bubba didn't finish Middle School ... "A Person charged in any State with Treason, Felony, or other Crime, who shall flee from Justice, and be found in another State, shall on Demand of the executive Authority of the State from which he fled, be delivered up, to be removed to the State having Jurisdiction of the Crime." -- Article IV, Section 2 ...

You must hate the United States to have never read her Constitution ...

It's a thing in many States ... only a few have dropped this ...

I know those citations a hell of a lot more than you. If the governor of Florida refuses to extradite, NY can go fuck themselves silly!

Sorry! This is a Constitutional issue and will require they issue a decision.

United States v. Nixon, 418 U.S. 683 ... Nixon had to turn over the tapes to Congress ...

WTF has that got to do with what I said? Did you OD on your stupid pills?

He probably meant

Nixon v. United States - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Nixon_v._United_States

United States, 506 U.S. 224 (1993)

USSC rules that the senate is in charge of it's rules for an impeachment trial.

I know those citations a hell of a lot more than you. If the governor of Florida refuses to extradite, NY can go fuck themselves silly!

Duel sovereignty ... STUPID ... New York files in Federal court ... the Constitution is clear ... and the governor of Florida has no protection if they violate a Federal court order ...

Yes ... the Secret Service has to follow Federal court orders too ...

BY RALPH NADER

Highly unlikely. Wish otherwise but it is what it is.

Yes, sorry about that ... thank you meaner for the correction ... (interesting: this is a different Nixon, Walter Nixon was a Federal judge who was impeached and removed from office) ...
There aren't many bookend supreme court cases.
US v Nixon and Nixon v US

Duel sovereignty ... STUPID ... New York files in Federal court ... the Constitution is clear ... and the governor of Florida has no protection if they violate a Federal court order ...

Yes ... the Secret Service has to follow Federal court orders too ...

Duel? The word is dual, you fucktard! Calling me stupid after that boneheaded comment is pretty ironic.

They cannot file for violating a state crime in federal court. Did you get your education by reading the back of cereal boxes? I taught government for 21 years in public high schools and middle schools. You would have failed easily!

They cannot file for violating a state crime in federal court. Did you get your education by reading the back of cereal boxes? I taught government for 21 years in public high schools and middle schools. You would have failed easily!
Is that why every Trump lawsuit alleging voter fraud failed?

Forum List

Back