The Level of Anger

D

Dim Bulb

In this country is amazing. Name-calling, unwillingness to listen to each other, crazy conspiracy ideas on both sides.

America was founded on an idea. An idea of tolerance and liberty. An idea that we can be different but be the same citizens of this country. It is appalling to think that a person can look at another person's beliefs and condemn them entirely.

Blame is the name of the game. Nobody is talking about what values we share. Nobody is saying, "Hey, we disagree, but we're all Americans." No, instead, I hear constantly, "You aren't a real American if you don't think ________."

Unless they are a Dallas Cowboy fan, in which case they are condemned to Hell.

In this country is amazing. Name-calling, unwillingness to listen to each other, crazy conspiracy ideas on both sides.

America was founded on an idea. An idea of tolerance and liberty. An idea that we can be different but be the same citizens of this country. It is appalling to think that a person can look at another person's beliefs and condemn them entirely.

Blame is the name of the game. Nobody is talking about what values we share. Nobody is saying, "Hey, we disagree, but we're all Americans." No, instead, I hear constantly, "You aren't a real American if you don't think ________."

It's social media. That's the truth. We need to learn to control it as we once did our discourse. At this point it has taken control of us.

It's social media. That's the truth. We need to learn to control it as we once did our discourse. At this point it has taken control of us.
By all means, let's silence the masses.....Where in history have I heard this before.

By all means, let's silence the masses.....Where in history have I heard this before.

That's not at all what she said, but you know that.

There is not a lot of tolerance on this Board. There is a lot of name calling, spreading of conspiracy theories, and unwillingness to listen to each other. I don't hear many people using this as a forum to talk about the values we share. When I bring up the ideas of tolerance and liberty, I'm immediately called a communist, a libtard, or worse.
Now, where are we? We are on social media. Do we talk that way to each other at the local diner, even if we completely disagree with each other? No. Do we talk to each other that way at the Thanksgiving table? No. We do it here, though. On social media, because we can.
Social media grew up as a spawn of the internet age. It has no one saying "That's not how we talk to each other." It has no one saying "We don't accept that in this country; we promote equality." Lately, it doesn't even have many people saying "That news is not true." It's like a bunch of preschoolers without an adult in the room. Anyone who says any of those things is out of line is branded as..what you just inferred about me.
Freedom has responsibilities. Sometimes that includes behaving responsibly in how we talk to each other.

There is not a lot of tolerance on this Board. There is a lot of name calling, spreading of conspiracy theories, and unwillingness to listen to each other. I don't hear many people using this as a forum to talk about the values we share. When I bring up the ideas of tolerance and liberty, I'm immediately called a communist, a libtard, or worse.
Now, where are we? We are on social media. Do we talk that way to each other at the local diner, even if we completely disagree with each other? No. Do we talk to each other that way at the Thanksgiving table? No. We do it here, though. On social media, because we can.
Social media grew up as a spawn of the internet age. It has no one saying "That's not how we talk to each other." It has no one saying "We don't accept that in this country; we promote equality." Lately, it doesn't even have many people saying "That news is not true." It's like a bunch of preschoolers without an adult in the room. Anyone who says any of those things is out of line is branded as..what you just inferred about me.
Freedom has responsibilities. Sometimes that includes behaving responsibly in how we talk to each other.

Did you miss the point? You say we have to get a handle on it, but fail to grasp that it is the national conversation. Simply because people speak their mind and post information YOU or I think is wrong does not give anyone the right to "Get a handle on it". That is code for silencing speech.

Tolerance does not mean you force the others to speak only approved facts. In fact, I find that nearly 90% of this country doesn't even understand what tolerance means.

In fact, we do now talk to each other in the manner that we do here. We have raised an entire generation that thinks they are entitled to silence opinions and facts they disagree with. You see it on our Campuses, you see it in our media. You see it in marches and demonstrations, and in violent clashes to keep speakers from giving a talk in our Universities.

Funny thing about all that. It always seems to flow one way. This leads a thinking person to conclude that one side is either very effective at silencing dissent, or the other side actually values open discussion and won't go to the same lengths to silence the other side.

Now we are so divided that we are on the brink of a civil war.

Just because our nation was founded on tolerance and liberty that does not mean we don't have our differences. Back then the original states were very different from one another and wanted to preserve their differences.....it took alot of time to iron some of those difference out....but we did because we all agreed to the Constitution that enumerates those freedoms.

Today we have a very far left party that has been doing everything possible to unravel our Constitution and therein lies the root of the problem.....we cannot function as a nation if we don't agree to the basics.

There's no doubt the internet has been a primary driving force in all this hatred.

I suppose it could also do the same thing for healing, but there are no signs of that, yet.

People just want to hate right now.

There's no doubt the internet has been a primary driving force in all this hatred.

I suppose it could also do the same thing for healing, but there are no signs of that, yet.

a lot of us are quite happy these days....:2up:

I suppose it could also do the same thing for healing, but there are not signs of that, yet.

The problem has become that we are all entrenched in our beliefs and are unwilling to compromise. This started with the GOP and Clinton (to some extent with the liberals and Reagan) and escalated with Bush, then Obama, and now Trump.

I don't like Trump and distrust him (as I do all politicians). However, some of the things he is doing I agree with so I support the action. Some of the things he is doing I agree with, but oppose him doing it the way he is doing it because I oppose abuse of Federal power regardless of who is in office. So I can agree with what he is trying to do but will oppose the way he is doing it. If that makes sense to you.

I posted a video on a guy who was talking about how we have bought into a failed parenting model and how we have ended up with people in our society who have these issues of accepting another view. The video mostly focuses on millennials in the workplace, which to Me, highlights the foundational problems we have in this nation.

I suppose it could also do the same thing for healing, but there are not signs of that, yet.

The problem has become that we are all entrenched in our beliefs and are unwilling to compromise. This started with the GOP and Clinton (to some extent with the liberals and Reagan) and escalated with Bush, then Obama, and now Trump.

I don't like Trump and distrust him (as I do all politicians). However, some of the things he is doing I agree with so I support the action. Some of the things he is doing I agree with, but oppose him doing it the way he is doing it because I oppose abuse of Federal power regardless of who is in office. So I can agree with what he is trying to do but will oppose the way he is doing it. If that makes sense to you.

I posted a video on a guy who was talking about how we have bought into a failed parenting model and how we have ended up with people in our society who have these issues of accepting another view. The video mostly focuses on millennials in the workplace, which to Me, highlights the foundational problems we have in this nation.

nobody has to accept another view just because that person was voted into office....

i never accepted the view of Obama who i considered to be an anti-American muslim marxist from day one.....but i didn't go out and break things...

nobody has to accept another view just because that person was voted into office....

i never accepted the view of Obama who i considered to be an anti-American muslim marxist from day one.....but i didn't go out and break things...

So you prove My statement correct.

Tolerance does not mean you accept their view or opinion.

Tolerance means that you understand they have a different view from your own and there is nothing you can do to change that. So you let them live in their world with their view point.

Tolerance also does not mean you have to stop fighting for what you think is right. It simply means you don't have a need to destroy those who disagree with you.

If you need to silence a person, or you begin hating people because they won't come around to your point of view; you are intolerant.

The fact that "America founded on tolerance and liberty" isn't just a cliche. The Founding Fathers created the 1st Amendment that gave Americans the right to name calling and crazy conspiracy ideas. Would you have it any other way? The dirty little secret is that you need to be educated enough to be able to argue your point instead of posting inane cartoons and whining about how we need to join hands in a Kumbaya moment.

There is not a lot of tolerance on this Board. There is a lot of name calling, spreading of conspiracy theories, and unwillingness to listen to each other. .....

That's just stupid, and only a communist scissorbill like you would utter such tommyrot. I'll bet you were sent here by your communist overseers to sow discord as a prelude to the space alien civil war that will take place on our planet shortly. I don't want to hear anymore of your nonsense.

So you prove My statement correct.

Tolerance does not mean you accept their view or opinion.

Tolerance means that you understand they have a different view from your own and there is nothing you can do to change that. So you let them live in their world with their view point.

Tolerance also does not mean you have to stop fighting for what you think is right. It simply means you don't have a need to destroy those who disagree with you.

If you need to silence a person, or you begin hating people because they won't come around to your point of view; you are intolerant.

I can't see anything in that post that I can disagree with. I am not a college student or a millennial or whatever other bogey the right has concocted to hold up as "all liberals," but I do believe the gutter level of discourse we have sunk to is not going to improve until we put our foot down about how we talk to each other. It has led to what you see as the brink of Civil War. If we come to that, it is because we allowed it. On social media.

There is not a lot of tolerance on this Board. There is a lot of name calling, spreading of conspiracy theories, and unwillingness to listen to each other. .....

That's just stupid, and only a communist scissorbill like you would utter such tommyrot. I'll bet you were sent here by your communist overseers to sow discord as a prelude to the space alien civil war that will take place on our planet shortly. I don't want to hear anymore of your nonsense.

As a sarcastic retort, that was perfect. I sure hope that's what it was.

An idea of tolerance and liberty.

The left are opposed to both. Their brand of tolerance means agree with the left or be viciously attacked. As for liberty what a laugh, in their world a ruling political class beats the people into submission, liberty is doled out as they see fit.

Forum List

Back