The liberals' official hostility to religion takes a strange new turn

Congressmen can't say 'Merry Christmas' in mail | Campaign 2012 | Washington Examiner

At this point, I'd ask "are you fucking kidding me?" But why bother? I already know they're serious.

Seriously absurd.

You don't mean "Liberal's official hostility toward religion" you mean "official hostility toward Christianity". Liberals are very tolerant of Islam.

could you be any stupider?

Jillian....are you against a nativity scene in a public square?

What Christians don't like is the extreme far left who want to get rid of Christians voices and their freedom of expression in public.
It is our 1st Amendment right.

So... just to play Devil's Advocate... isn't it their 1st Amendment right to be against it?

After all... it's a Conservative's first Amendment right to speak out against abortion, homosexuality, Muslims and the OWS. But when it's someone else speaking out in regards to something you feel strongly about... it's not cool.

That Ms Peach... it's what is known as Hypocrisy.

Look, I'm a Christian... I don't have a problem with Christians speaking their mind and expressing themselves in Public, Private or anywhere in between. But this country as rights for even the people you don't like.

That's why the Neo-Nazis were allowed to march through Skokie, Ill in the 1970's. Skokie is a predominantly Jewish village. That's why the "God Hates Fags" crowd is allowed to protest near our beloved fallen Servicemen's Funerals.

That is what Freedom is about.... not taxes and paying for poor people's Health Care.

is the public square government owned or privately owned? and who is paying for the space and the nativity scene?

It is deemed a public square, but privately maintained....and the firm that maintains it is the one who put the nativity scene up.....but it is labeled as and used as a public square.

What Christians don't like is the extreme far left who want to get rid of Christians voices and their freedom of expression in public.

So... just to play Devil's Advocate... isn't it their 1st Amendment right to be against it?

After all... it's a Conservative's first Amendment right to speak out against abortion, homosexuality, Muslims and the OWS. But when it's someone else speaking out in regards to something you feel strongly about... it's not cool.

Look, I'm a Christian... I don't have a problem with Christians speaking their mind and expressing themselves in Public, Private or anywhere in between. But this country as rights for even the people you don't like.

That's why the Neo-Nazis were allowed to march through Skokie, Ill in the 1970's. Skokie is a predominantly Jewish village. That's why the "God Hates Fags" crowd is allowed to protest near our beloved fallen Servicemen's Funerals.

That is what Freedom is about.... not taxes and paying for poor people's Health Care.

So...when did anyone do this? Actually, I'm not even sure of what you mean by it. Are you saying Christians shouldn't defend themselves from attempts to shut them up?

Last edited:

So...when did anyone do this?

I was thinking the same exact thing.

No one is saying those against saying Merry Christmas dont have the right to speak out about it.

The issue is why they are appeased...at the cost of the freedoms of others that want to say Merry Christmas.

Very few Christians are the 'Fire & Brimstone Damnation' types. The Left has unfortunately tried to stereotype Christians by painting them all as 'Fire & Brimstone.' My Church is pretty cool. They preach peace,love,and and faith in God. I have never heard one 'Fire & Brimstone' sermon at my Church. So all the hate & ridicule coming from the Left regarding Christians,really is ignorant bigotry. They express so much hate for somthing they know nothing about. If they could just apply the same respect & tolerant approach to Christianity as they do other Religions,we really could have more peace in our nation. That's my opinion anyway.

You've obviously never gone to church in OK have you? MOST of their churches are of the fire and brimstone type.

Same thing with the Deep South and places like Memphis TN.

I'll give ya a hint.........think Pentacostal.

Hasn't been my experience. My Church is great. There are some like you described but most are not. There's no need for the Left to stereotype Christians that way.

Like I said..........most of the Pentacostal churches in this area ARE of the fire and brimstone type. As far as painting all of you with the same brush? Not even close, because when someone tells me they're a Christian, I always ask "what type", because the views of Christians varies from place to place, even in just this country alone.

But.........there is 1 main thing that ALL of 'em believe in, and that is the belief that if you're not "saved", you're gonna go to hell.

But..........if that's true........what about God's Chosen People, Abraham's descendants, you know.....the Jews? Is God gonna break His covenant with Abraham's people because one of those people (Yeshua) came and changed the whole game?

Sounds like you're saying God doesn't keep His Word.

is the public square government owned or privately owned? and who is paying for the space and the nativity scene?

Well... If it's a Public Square, then it's probably Public land.

To answer the question for myself... no, I am most certainly not against it. But I don't have a problem with Non-Christians bitching about it either. What I do have a problem with is intolerance from any direction.

It's a few weeks out of the entire year... If it were me... I'd just tell them to "suck it up" and get over it. Not to get off topic... but it reminds me of a show I saw the other night about extreme Christmas lights... the one guy... From Scottsdale Arizona, I believe... has been ARRESTED and gone to court because his neighbor kept calling the cops on him for his display. The dude actually sold his house and moved to a different city.

I'm sorry... I understand that we are all not the same... but we should have respect for each other. Non Christians should have respect for Christian celebrations and likewise, we should have respect for non-Christian Celebrations. Do unto others and all of that.

To answer the question for myself... no, I am most certainly not against it. But I don't have a problem with Non-Christians bitching about it either. What I do have a problem with is intolerance from any direction.

It's a few weeks out of the entire year... If it were me... I'd just tell them to "suck it up" and get over it. Not to get off topic... but it reminds me of a show I saw the other night about extreme Christmas lights... the one guy... From Scottsdale Arizona, I believe... has been ARRESTED and gone to court because his neighbor kept calling the cops on him for his display. The dude actually sold his house and moved to a different city.

I'm sorry... I understand that we are all not the same... but we should have respect for each other. Non Christians should have respect for Christian celebrations and likewise, we should have respect for non-Christian Celebrations. Do unto others and all of that.

the problem is...when there are a few that are against it, they are appeased at the expense of the many that are either for it or have no issue with it.

So...when did anyone do this? Actually, I'm not even sure of what you mean by it. Are you saying Christians shouldn't defend themselves from attempts to shut them up?

When did anyone do what? What are you having trouble with? The Skokie thing? Yeah... that happened. You know that the God hates Fags thing is happening even now.

Let me ask you this... Should Muslims and other religions defend themselves when there's all kinds of hateful shit coming from OUR direction(Christianity)?

What I am saying is if we were ALL a little more tolerant and let people live as they choose... perhaps most of this wouldn't even be happening.

Very few Christians are the 'Fire & Brimstone Damnation' types. The Left has unfortunately tried to stereotype Christians by painting them all as 'Fire & Brimstone.' My Church is pretty cool. They preach peace,love,and and faith in God. I have never heard one 'Fire & Brimstone' sermon at my Church. So all the hate & ridicule coming from the Left regarding Christians,really is ignorant bigotry. They express so much hate for somthing they know nothing about. If they could just apply the same respect & tolerant approach to Christianity as they do other Religions,we really could have more peace in our nation. That's my opinion anyway.

You've obviously never gone to church in OK have you? MOST of their churches are of the fire and brimstone type.

Hasn't been my experience. My Church is great. There are some like you described but most are not. There's no need for the Left to stereotype Christians that way.

The complete and blatant irony in this post is breath taking.

But....I actully laid out the question the way I did for a reason...

It is a public square that is owned and maintianed by a prtivate owner...and he wants to put a nativity scene in the middle of the park...should he have the right to...or should the coty denyhis right becuase it is pabelled as a public square?

the problem is...when there are a few that are against it, they are appeased at the expense of the many that are either for it or have no issue with it.

Not to be a smart ass here Jarhead... but isn't that "protecting the rights of the Minority"? Isn't that why Conservatives dislike a Democracy?

I mean.. I agree with you... but at the same time, you can't have it both ways.

Like I said..........most of the Pentacostal churches in this area ARE of the fire and brimstone type. As far as painting all of you with the same brush? Not even close, because when someone tells me they're a Christian, I always ask "what type", because the views of Christians varies from place to place, even in just this country alone.

But.........there is 1 main thing that ALL of 'em believe in, and that is the belief that if you're not "saved", you're gonna go to hell.

But..........if that's true........what about God's Chosen People, Abraham's descendants, you know.....the Jews? Is God gonna break His covenant with Abraham's people because one of those people (Yeshua) came and changed the whole game?

You don't have to be a Christian or even believe in God to to show respect & tolerance for Christianity. Most on the Left do show quite a bit of respect & tolerance towards other Religions. Most of their hate & ridicule is directed at Christians. This is just what i've observed from them for many years. When or if i see the Left show the same respect & tolerance for Christianity as they show other Religions,i'll change my views on them. Till then,it is what it is.

well, not necessarily... zucotti park is a public space that is privately owned.

i have no problem with you or anyone else pursuing their peaceful beliefs. i have a major problem with the government paying for christian symbols. turn the hypothetical around a bit. do you think that the people who whine and cry and pretend they're being victimized would tolerate this government paying for muslim symbols in public squares? heck, they even protest the building of mosques.

so let's be real about this. i don't want religion in my government. the constitution protects me from it.

so there ya go.

that isn't intolerance... i'll gladly defend anyone's right to their peaceful beliefs.

But....I actully laid out the question the way I did for a reason...

It is a public square that is owned and maintianed by a prtivate owner...and he wants to put a nativity scene in the middle of the park...should he have the right to...or should the coty denyhis right becuase it is pabelled as a public square?

No... it's his property... period. If he wanted to put up one of those inflatable Gorillas from a used car lot he should be allowed to.

You don't have to be a Christian or even believe in God to to show respect & tolerance for Christianity. Most on the Left do show quite a bit of respect & tolerance towards other Religions. Most of their hate & ridicule is directed at Christians. This is just what i've observed from them for many years. When or if i see the Left show the same respect & tolerance for Christianity as they show other Religions,i'll change my views on them. Till then,it is what it is.

You still didn't answer the question.........are Jews going to go to hell because they aren't saved by Yeshua?

And, when Christians quit telling me that I'm going to hell for being a Taoist, then I'll quit calling them bigots.

Not to be a smart ass here Jarhead... but isn't that "protecting the rights of the Minority"? Isn't that why Conservatives dislike a Democracy?

I mean.. I agree with you... but at the same time, you can't have it both ways.

No....the minority does not need to look at or appreicate the nativity scene....sort of like I dont look at or appreciate an OWS protester...but I did not tell them they couldnt be there

Ahhh... so this is a personal beef then? Do you yourself show respect and tolerance for other religions?

well, not necessarily... zucotti park is a public space that is privately owned.

i have no problem with you or anyone else pursuing their peaceful beliefs. i have a major problem with the government paying for christian symbols. turn the hypothetical around a bit. do you think that the people who whine and cry and pretend they're being victimized would tolerate this government paying for muslim symbols in public squares? heck, they even protest the building of mosques.

so let's be real about this. i don't want religion in my government. the constitution protects me from it.

so there ya go.

that isn't intolerance... i'll gladly defend anyone's right to their peaceful beliefs.

Im a Jew....

Yet I used to smile when my teachers would walk in wearing a red cap rioght before christmas.....or a pin on her lapel in the inmage of Santa Claus...

I didnt see that as religion in my government.

So the Garbage truck that has a wreath on the front grill? They are bringing religion into government?

Forum List

Back