The movie Arsenic and Old Lace, who could you cast today?

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
I saw this movie years ago, it is a great comedy with Cary Grant, Peter Lorre and other great actors.....it is the story of a marriage hating writer who gets secretly married and is leaving on his honeymoon. On the way to the airport, he stops by to visit his two elderly aunts....and finds out they have been murdering lonely old men with Elderberry Wine laced with Arsenic...his crazy uncle, who believes that he is Teddy Roosevelt digging the Panama canal, buries the old men who have died from "Malaria." Trying to deal with this, his older brother comes home.....a serial killer/criminal with his partner in crime played Peter Lorre......it is an actual funny movie.....

The serial killing brother....Michael Shannon could play him today...I don't really know who else could play the other roles...Carey Grant would be hard to duplicate today....maybe a younger George Clooney could have played this role......it has manic aspects to it that Clooney could do, but is a little too old to play now...

Wow...it was made in 1944...

I would not cast anybody today

It was perfect back then

Do not try to fix something if it's not broken

---------------------------

As the lack of imagination means remaking old movies Arsenic and Old Lace is a good candidate. Too bad Robin Williams passed, he would have been a perfect crazy brother.

Todays Hollywood liberal idiots simply are not good enough to remake any movie from back then

Total morons yuck

I saw this movie years ago, it is a great comedy with Cary Grant, Peter Lorre and other great actors.....it is the story of a marriage hating writer who gets secretly married and is leaving on his honeymoon. On the way to the airport, he stops by to visit his two elderly aunts....and finds out they have been murdering lonely old men with Elderberry Wine laced with Arsenic...his crazy uncle, who believes that he is Teddy Roosevelt digging the Panama canal, buries the old men who have died from "Malaria." Trying to deal with this, his older brother comes home.....a serial killer/criminal with his partner in crime played Peter Lorre......it is an actual funny movie.....

The serial killing brother....Michael Shannon could play him today...I don't really know who else could play the other roles...Carey Grant would be hard to duplicate today....maybe a younger George Clooney could have played this role......it has manic aspects to it that Clooney could do, but is a little too old to play now...

Wow...it was made in 1944...

:lol:

See!

There are some things that we agree on. This has been one of my favorite movies, from when I was a little kid.

Michael Shannon could play Jonathan (the murderer brother), but he'd have be made up to look like Frankenstein's Monster from the old films - that's a significant plot point.

I agree completely about a young George Clooney as Mortimer (Cary Grant) - but as you said, he's too old now.

I don't know, I'm going to think about this.

Love that movie. The cast was perfect. Priscilla Lane cast as Elaine was just right. Good looking women doing comedy and doing it well is far too rare. Cary Grant did a great comedic performance and Priscilla Lane strapped a rocket to it and lit the fuse.

No remake.

Hollyweird today would screw it up. Miscast it. Make it political.

tumblr_oqit9saHJq1uwp6gyo1_500.jpg

Mortimer-

Matthew McConaughey

Teddy Roosevelt
Jim Carry

Jonathan
Brad Garrett

the aunts

Kathy Bates

Adrienne Barbour

Doctor

Steven Zahn

As the lack of imagination means remaking old movies Arsenic and Old Lace is a good candidate. Too bad Robin Williams passed, he would have been a perfect crazy brother.

Betty White has to be one of the aunts.

betty white and Helen Mirren for the aunts.

James Franco for Cary Grant's character.

Jack Black for the crazy uncle.

Sorry...James Franco would trash up the movie....Cary Grant has to be the straight man driven to mania by everything going on around him....I don't think Franco has it....

Mortimer-

Matthew McConaughey

Teddy Roosevelt
Jim Carry

Jonathan
Brad Garrett

the aunts

Kathy Bates

Adrienne Barbour

Doctor

Steven Zahn

Mathew might work.......Thanks for the suggestions everyone.....it was a good movie...

I watched Rear Window last night.

One of my all time favorite movies.

Hellen Mirren..Emma Thompson for the ladies...

Abigal Breslin as the ingenue...

Alex Høgh Andersen as the male lead though he is pretty young.

Tom Cruise or matthew McConnaghy for the creepy guy.

Cruise is still too pretty for that role

Patton Oswalt for the doctor

Cruise is still too pretty for that role

Patton Oswalt for the doctor

I thought so too...but I don't think he has the same...heft...... as Peter Lorre.....

I know....I just saw him in the trailer for Black Panther......Andy Serkis as the Doctor......

Forum List

Back