🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The National Interest: What’s Really Wrong With White Teachers? They’re Racist

Do people in foreign countries understand what we are dealing with?
Few nations have racism of the nature we have in the U.S. Most nations have negative and absurd "isms" of one sort or another, but only a few have the sort that bases itself primarily on skin color.

That is not at all true. In fact, just that sort of thing is much more blatant in most places.

Maybe so, but that sure doesn't align with my experience or observations. Having lived for months on end in a variety of Asian and European countries, I only discovered the nature of their "isms" by actively asking about them. In many of those countries the irrational "isms" are ethnically, nationality, or religiously based, in large part because all the parties involved are of the skin color. For example:
  • Arab Jews vs. Arab Muslims -- They don't look different.
  • Japanese vs Korean -- I can sometimes distinguish Chinese from Koreans and Japanese, but Koreans and Japanese look alike as far as I can tell. Some members of both societies claim to be able to tell, others don't.
  • Serbs vs. Croats -- They don't look different at all.
  • Irish Protestants vs. Irish Catholics -- If one doesn't know where, how or when, "something" about one's worship practices, there is no way to tell.
  • French vs. English -- If they don't speak, one cannot tell them apart.
  • Turks vs. Greeks -- Again, just looking at European members of both societies, there's not blatantly apparent difference that'd tell one which is which.
Contrast that with American racism. In many instances, from 100 yards away, a racist can tell a black person from a white one and thus know toward which they'll direct their disdain.

P.S./Edit:
From my time in the PRC, those people, though they have their "Han vs. non-Han thing," (Hans are ~95% of the population),.aside from that, they strike me as being about the most non-racist people I've ever met. There are cultural things Chinese people do and measured against a Western paradigm, may seem racist. For example, may middle and upper class Chinese women carry umbrellas to avoid tanning. You and I both know what that sounds like to our American ears. Turns out, it's an elitist thing, not a racist thing. Very fair skin means one isn't a peasant farmer, which is about the very bottom of the social and economic ladders.

You see what you did there?

Other than writing what I wrote, no.

Few nations have racism of the nature we have in the U.S. Most nations have negative and absurd "isms" of one sort or another, but only a few have the sort that bases itself primarily on skin color.

That is not at all true. In fact, just that sort of thing is much more blatant in most places.

Maybe so, but that sure doesn't align with my experience or observations. Having lived for months on end in a variety of Asian and European countries, I only discovered the nature of their "isms" by actively asking about them. In many of those countries the irrational "isms" are ethnically, nationality, or religiously based, in large part because all the parties involved are of the skin color. For example:
  • Japanese vs Korean -- I can sometimes distinguish Chinese from Koreans and Japanese, but Koreans and Japanese look alike as far as I can tell. Some members of both societies claim to be able to tell, others don't.
  • Irish Protestants vs. Irish Catholics -- If one doesn't know where, how or when, "something" about one's worship practices, there is no way to tell.
  • Turks vs. Greeks -- Again, just looking at European members of both societies, there's not blatantly apparent difference that'd tell one which is which.
Contrast that with American racism. In many instances, from 100 yards away, a racist can tell a black person from a white one and thus know toward which they'll direct their disdain.

P.S./Edit:
From my time in the PRC, those people, though they have their "Han vs. non-Han thing," (Hans are ~95% of the population),.aside from that, they strike me as being about the most non-racist people I've ever met. There are cultural things Chinese people do and measured against a Western paradigm, may seem racist. For example, may middle and upper class Chinese women carry umbrellas to avoid tanning. You and I both know what that sounds like to our American ears. Turns out, it's an elitist thing, not a racist thing. Very fair skin means one isn't a peasant farmer, which is about the very bottom of the social and economic ladders.

You are comparing people of the same skin color to prove a lack of racism based on skin color. That is fundamentally illogical.

read the article
I did. I don't think that the observed outcomes necessarily have a thing to with white teachers being racist, though I'm willing to accept that some instances of underperformance by black pupils taught by white teachers may be due racism. How many or in what proportion? I don't know. Admittedly, I did not read the methodologies of the "outburst" of studies on the matter, so I'm in no position to credibly refute their findings.

Thinking back on my own high school experience (because I don't recall the relevant details for my nursery, primary and middle schools), I had one black classmate in my class of ~50 kids. He performed as well as everyone else, and AFAIK, nobody graduated with less than an A average. Thus my high school experience in that regard cannot be indicative of the outcomes seen in black students with white teachers.

There were "a lot" of minorities in my kids' (4) high school classes, but like the kids in my class, pretty much everyone graduates with an A average. Among them it was a matter of whose graduating GPA was higher than 4.0 and whose is not. My kids had black, white, Latino and Asian high school teachers.

read the article
I did. I don't think that the observed outcomes necessarily have a thing to with white teachers being racist, though I'm willing to accept that some instances of underperformance by black pupils taught by white teachers may be due racism. How many or in what proportion? I don't know. Admittedly, I did not read the methodologies of the "outburst" of studies on the matter, so I'm in no position to credibly refute their findings.

Thinking back on my own high school experience (because I don't recall the relevant details for my nursery, primary and middle schools), I had one black classmate in my class of ~50 kids. He performed as well as everyone else, and AFAIK, nobody graduated with less than an A average. Thus my high school experience in that regard cannot be indicative of the outcomes seen in black students with white teachers.

There were "a lot" of minorities in my kids' (4) high school classes, but like the kids in my class, pretty much everyone graduates with an A average. Among them it was a matter of whose graduating GPA was higher than 4.0 and whose is not. My kids had black, white, Latino and Asian high school teachers.

Have you considered OTHER reasons for this supposed outcome?

P.S./Edit:

You are comparing people of the same skin color to prove a lack of racism based on skin color. That is fundamentally illogical.
You are comparing people of the same skin color to prove a lack of racism based on skin color.

I didn't make a comparison. I related an observation. I observed that there is, in many foreign cultures/countries, no mention-worth skin color based racism. You are correct that it in effect doesn't exist there because the variety in skin color doesn't exist in those cultures. By the same token, people born into those cultures don't appear -- as they would were it, as you say, blatant -- espouse/manifest skin color racism upon encountering people of a different skin color.

Whining troll thread.
Reading subsequent posts, I see now that you are correct.
so both of you can refute the facts?
I'm not refuting facts. I'm concurring that this is a "troll thread."

Were you to share substantive thoughts of your own that amplify or expound on the article's ideas and have something to offer besides unsubstantiated chiding thinly veiled as rhetorical questions, I might feel differently. Thus far, however, the people posting your thread have more or merit to say -- thereby contributing more effort than you to convert the thread into something of an adult and meaningful discussion -- than you the OP, thus de facto discussion leader, have had to say.....thus, this is a thread that was created as a "troll thread."

P.S./Edit:

You are comparing people of the same skin color to prove a lack of racism based on skin color.

I didn't make a comparison. I related an observation. I observed that there is, in many foreign cultures/countries, no mention-worth skin color based racism. You are correct that it in effect doesn't exist there because the variety in skin color doesn't exist in those cultures. By the same token, people born into those cultures don't appear -- as they would were it, as you say, blatant -- espouse/manifest skin color racism upon encountering people of a different skin color.

That is incorrect.

P.S./Edit:

That is incorrect.

When pontificating and sharing your analysis, providing citations that point readers to your underlying research will help convince them that you have thought seriously about the matter under discussion. - Thomas G. Krattenmaker

Racism is literally the norm in every society but the west....

It is just not as much of a problem because they are mostly extremely homogenous.

It's not skin color, but behavior, whether actual or perceived.
Behavior is not a race-intrinsic trait. It's a, well, behavioral trait, that is, it's about what one does, not what one is. Discrimination based on behavior is not racism, it's "behaviorism." One specific example of that is called "elitism."

You guys analyze far too much. If one doesn't like what you do, and many of a similar sort engage in similar behavior, then one will come to not like what you are.

Black kids make trouble and many aren't interested in learning.

This is well known by anybody who passes through the system, which is why public school teachers get burned out and head for the exits.

Black kids make trouble and many aren't interested in learning.

This is well known by anybody who passes through the system, which is why public school teachers get burned out and head for the exits.

idiocy ^^^^^^

Forum List

Back