The next time somebody says "Happy Holidays"...

And you make a valid point. Petty is petty no matter which religion - or lack thereof for that matter.

Some religious based bitching is a bit more than bitching was my actual point.

Petty behavior to me is bitching about silly sig lines and even sillier forum "clubs". ;)

Well, I consider this whole "Merry Christmas" vs "Happy Holidays" situation to be petty. If someone is trying to be pleasant, why would anyone get upset just because they used the wrong magic words? It is, after all, the thought that counts - is it not? As to the other stuff, religious insanity is insanity regardless of religion. Christianity is no more a stranger to it than Islam.

I don't get upset if someone uses the wrong words. I get upset if they're not allowed to use the right ones. Telling a clerk they can't say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Hanaka" but that they must say "Happy Holidays" when the story is selling Christmas paper and pushing Christmas presents and decorations, that's just plain wrong.

Petty behavior to me is bitching about silly sig lines and even sillier forum "clubs". ;)

Well, I consider this whole "Merry Christmas" vs "Happy Holidays" situation to be petty. If someone is trying to be pleasant, why would anyone get upset just because they used the wrong magic words? It is, after all, the thought that counts - is it not? As to the other stuff, religious insanity is insanity regardless of religion. Christianity is no more a stranger to it than Islam.

Honestly I never see this bitching or complaining about greetings IRL. Just on forums and on political gabfests. There is little religious drama in most Christian's life during the holidays I would guess. I know there is none in mine. Cooking, shopping(hate that), wrapping, entertaining, praying, loving, laughing and living.

Extremists are the problem in any faith.

You know, I used to love to Christmas shop. Back when they had all the decorations. They'd have trains in the windows that you could start by putting your hand on the window. They'd have angels and snow men that moved. They used to go overboard with decorations and I loved it. Now there's some decorations around Santa's seat where they move you along in a hurry, take your picture and sell it to you for big bucks while Santa barely has time to say hello, let alone "What do you want for Christmas".

Our local mall had a great Santa one year, real beard and everything. On his breaks he would wander through the mall singing out Ho Ho Ho, Merry Christmas, talking to the kids and he was fired because he spent too much time with each child instead of just getting the picture and moving them on....talk about losing the Christmas Spirit.

Today, I wouldn't take my kid to see Santa at a mall. I don't think the pictures are worth it.

One of the best aspects of Christmas is to piss people off by running around saying Merry Christmas.

The opposite is also true. Just say Happy Holiday ,or Happy Winter Solstice to some holier than thou Chistian and watch um go nuts

Honestly I never see this bitching or complaining about greetings IRL. Just on forums and on political gabfests. There is little religious drama in most Christian's life during the holidays I would guess. I know there is none in mine. Cooking, shopping(hate that), wrapping, entertaining, praying, loving, laughing and living.

Absolutely. Most people aren't petty. I am not a Christian but I live in a nation in which the majority of the people are. People wish me all kinds of things, including that God bless me. Not my God, but that doesn't matter. They are expressing nothing but good thoughts to me and it would be incredibly petty of me to take than in any but a positive manner. If someone tells me that Jesus loves me, I smile and say it right back, because that is the nice thing to do. The words just aren't important, only the thought.

Absolutely. Most people aren't petty. I am not a Christian but I live in a nation in which the majority of the people are. People wish me all kinds of things, including that God bless me. Not my God, but that doesn't matter. They are expressing nothing but good thoughts to me and it would be incredibly petty of me to take than in any but a positive manner. If someone tells me that Jesus loves me, I smile and say it right back, because that is the nice thing to do. The words just aren't important, only the thought.

Pratchet Fan, you sound like someone I would like IRL and honestly I don't care what faith you are or are not. You seem very kind and mellow. Wishing you a happy and healthy holiday season.

Pratchet Fan, you sound like someone I would like IRL and honestly I don't care what faith you are or are not. You seem very kind and mellow. Wishing you a happy and healthy holiday season.

And Merry Christmas! :D

Right back atcha. Have a very merry Christmas and may God bless you.

And Merry Christmas! :D

And a glorious Bodhi.

Run this past them on the origin of the word:

1500s, earlier haliday (c.1200), from old English haligdæg "holy day; Sabbath," from halig "holy" (see holy) + dæg "day" (see day); in 14c. meaning "religious festival."

Here they think they're being all clever and non-religious...

Wait until lefties find out about this!

Happy Holidays isn't about being non-religious, you fucking idiot... it's about acknowledging more than one religious holiday during this season, some of which are even celebrated secularly.

If you're one of those fucking bitches like my dad's wife who goes APESHIT if somebody says Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas, then you have some fucking problems.

You sure have a big mouth lefty hiding behind a computer. It's about majority rule and the majority of people are Christians in the U.S.

Now go fuck yourself punk.

Now THAT'S the Christmas spirit Christ Himself would be proud of.

:thup:

One of the best aspects of Christmas is to piss people off by running around saying Merry Christmas.
I've been doing that for years...just saying "Merry Christmas" when out and about during the season.

I have YET to meet anyone who was offended by my saying that.

Hmmmmmm.

In California you are most likely to run across someone who will yell HATE SPEECH. Years ago when I first started my Merry Christmas campaign, I said it to the receptionist at the veterinarian's office. She got all flustered and said nothing because the rule was to not create offense by saying anything. She followed me out the back door to the parking lot and said "Merry Christmas to you too. We're not supposed to say that on the job, I'd be fired if I did."

So now I say it to everyone, all the time.

Oh, bull. I don't believe that dumb story either of someone following you to the parking lot to say Merry Christmas. You sure can shovel it.

I've been doing that for years...just saying "Merry Christmas" when out and about during the season.

I have YET to meet anyone who was offended by my saying that.

Hmmmmmm.

In California you are most likely to run across someone who will yell HATE SPEECH. Years ago when I first started my Merry Christmas campaign, I said it to the receptionist at the veterinarian's office. She got all flustered and said nothing because the rule was to not create offense by saying anything. She followed me out the back door to the parking lot and said "Merry Christmas to you too. We're not supposed to say that on the job, I'd be fired if I did."

So now I say it to everyone, all the time.

Oh, bull. I don't believe that dumb story either of someone following you to the parking lot to say Merry Christmas. You sure can shovel it.

Believe what you will. Merry Christmas is banned in Congress . Lowe’s, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Target, Best Buy, and GAP have all prohibited their employees from saying Merry Christmas. Those are just major retailers. Small, independent businesses aren't even counted.

It's such a sad commentary on what we are becoming.

Forum List

Back