The Nuking of Nagasaki: Even More Immoral and Unnecessary than Hiroshima

The men who fought and won WWII say that the atomic bombs saved their lives.
"the overwhelming historical evidence from American and Japanese archives indicates that Japan would have surrendered that August, even if atomic bombs had not been used — and documents prove that President Truman and his closest advisors knew it."

"Truman knew that the Japanese were searching for a way to end the war; he had referred to Togo’s intercepted July 12 cable as the “telegram from the Jap emperor asking for peace.”"

"MacArthur thought the use of atomic bombs was inexcusable. "

"Before the bombings, Eisenhower had urged at Potsdam, “the Japanese were ready to surrender and it wasn’t necessary to hit them with that awful thing.”"

It did not have to be a question of whether we used them or not

Did we have to choose targets where 150,000 civilians were killed?
Could a non lethal “demonstration” have yielded the same results?

Drop one in a low populated or strictly military area and let the Japanese evaluate the results. Then tell them we have dozens just like it and would target Tokyo next

You apparently don't have a clue as to what you're talking about.

Why do you think the atomic bombs were such a factor in Japan's surrender?

It is not what you think.

"the overwhelming historical evidence from American and Japanese archives indicates that Japan would have surrendered that August, even if atomic bombs had not been used — and documents prove that President Truman and his closest advisors knew it."

"Truman knew that the Japanese were searching for a way to end the war; he had referred to Togo’s intercepted July 12 cable as the “telegram from the Jap emperor asking for peace.”"

"MacArthur thought the use of atomic bombs was inexcusable. "

"Before the bombings, Eisenhower had urged at Potsdam, “the Japanese were ready to surrender and it wasn’t necessary to hit them with that awful thing.”"
And yet after 2 atomic bombs and soviet invasion the government of Japan voted NOT to surrender it took the direct intervention of the Emperor and then the Army staged a coup to stop that.

The 1946 United States Strategic Bombing Survey in Japan, whose members included Paul Nitze,[89] concluded the atomic bombs had been unnecessary to win the war. They said:

There is little point in attempting precisely to impute Japan's unconditional surrender to any one of the numerous causes which jointly and cumulatively were responsible for Japan's disaster. The time lapse between military impotence and political acceptance of the inevitable might have been shorter had the political structure of Japan permitted a more rapid and decisive determination of national policies. Nevertheless, it seems clear that, even without the atomic bombing attacks, air supremacy over Japan could have exerted sufficient pressure to bring about unconditional surrender and obviate the need for invasion.

Based on a detailed investigation of all the facts, and supported by the testimony of the surviving Japanese leaders involved, it is the Survey's opinion that certainly prior to 31 December 1945, and in all probability prior to 1 November 1945, Japan would have surrendered even if the atomic bombs had not been dropped, even if Russia had not entered the war, and even if no invasion had been planned or contemplated.[90][91]

:lol:
In other words, you're full of shit,
You talk big. But you're a fraud. You can't back up your empty talking by pointing out anything untrue in any of my statements.

Your enormous ignorance of this subject makes you the only junior here.

Yeah, all the adults already knew that.
You don't speak for any adults.

Run along now little fella.
You engage in personal attacks because you don't know anything about the actual subject here.

our unfortunately misinformed and limited of mind and character friend posting here,
You engage in personal attacks because you don't know anything about the actual subject here.

are not aware of the extent of starvation and crumbling morale in Japan towards the end of the war.
Wrong. I do not share your complete ignorance of this subject.

You talk big. But you're a fraud. You can't back up your empty talking by pointing out anything untrue in any of my statements.

Your enormous ignorance of this subject makes you the only junior here.

You don't speak for any adults.

Wrong. I do not share your complete ignorance of this subject.
Dismissed

Dismissed
You certainly are. Come back when you have something relevant to say.

You have nothing to add to this debate
Wrong again. I debunk all the falsehoods that you spew.

Assistant Secretary Bard was convinced that a standard bombardment and naval blockade would be enough to force Japan into surrendering. Even more, he had seen signs for weeks that the Japanese were actually already looking for a way out of the war. His idea was for the United States to tell the Japanese about the bomb, the impending Soviet entry into the war, and the fair treatment that citizens and the Emperor would receive at the coming Big Three conference. Before the bombing occurred, Bard pleaded with Truman to neither drop the bombs (at least not without warning the population first) nor to invade the entire country, proposing to stop the bloodshed.
Bard's ideas resulted in the Potsdam Proclamation being issued.

Too bad he is not up for it
You engage in personal attacks against me because you aren't capable of contradicting my position.

Surrender was inevitable
And our attacks against Japan continued until Japan surrendered.

ONLY the emperor could surrender. It was ONLY his call
Then, if you are unhappy about the timing of the surrender, maybe direct your complaints to the Emperor instead of bashing the US.

The 1946 United States Strategic Bombing Survey in Japan, whose members included Paul Nitze,[89] concluded the atomic bombs had been unnecessary to win the war. They said:
So what?

More of your irrelevant trivia I guess?

Navy.[95][96][97]

Dwight D. Eisenhower wrote in his memoir The White House Years:

In 1945 Secretary of War Stimson, visiting my headquarters in Germany, informed me that our government was preparing to drop an atomic bomb on Japan. I was one of those who felt that there were a number of cogent reasons to question the wisdom of such an act. During his recitation of the relevant facts, I had been conscious of a feeling of depression and so I voiced to him my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives.[98]

The Japanese had, in fact, already sued for peace. The atomic bomb played no decisive part, from a purely military point of view, in the defeat of Japan.

— Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, Commander in Chief of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, [91]

Forum List

Back