The Obama minority

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
good summery of Obama and how he led his party to become a MINORTY.

snip:
The Obama minority
ByMichael Barone
November 8, 2014 | 6:01am
Modal Trigger
obama-5.jpg

Photo: AP
Some observations on the election:
1) This was a wave, folks. It will be a benchmark for judging waves, for either party, for years.
2) In seriously contested races, GOP candidates were generally younger, more vigorous, more sunny and optimistic than Democrats. The contrast was sharpest in Colorado and Iowa, which voted twice for President Obama. Cory Gardner and Joni Ernst seemed to be looking forward to the future. Their opponents grimly championed the stale causes of feminists and trial lawyers of the past.
Democrats see themselves as the party of the future. But their policies are antique. The federal minimum wage dates to 1938, equal pay for women to 1963, access to contraceptives to 1965. Raising these issues now is campaign gimmickry, not serious policymaking.
Democratic leading lights have been around a long time. The party’s two congressional leaders are in their 70s. The governors of the two largest Democratic states are sons of former governors who won their first statewide elections in 1950 and 1978.
This has implications for 2016. Hillary Clinton, the likely Democratic nominee, worked in her first campaign in 1970. She’s been a national figure since 1991. The Clintons’ theme song, “Don’t Stop Thinking About Tomorrow,” was released in 1977. That will be 39 years ago in 2016.
3) The combination of Obama’s low job approval and Harry Reid’s virtual shutdown of the Senate insured a Republican Senate majority. Reid prevented amendments — Mark Begich of Alaska never got to introduce one — that could have helped them in campaigns.
Votes were blocked on issues with clear Senate majorities — such as the Keystone XL pipeline and the bipartisan patent reform bill backed by Judiciary Chairman Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.). That left Democrats stuck with 95-plus percent Obama voting records.
Reid kept Democratic candidates well-stocked with money. But not with winning issues.
4) Democratic territory has been reduced to the bastions of two core groups — black voters and gentry liberals. Democrats win New York City and the San Francisco Bay area by overwhelming margins, but are outvoted in almost all the territory in between — including, this year, Obama’s Illinois. Gov. Jerry Brown ran well behind in California’s Central Valley, and Gov. Cuomo lost most of upstate New York.
Democratic margins have shrunk among Hispanics and, almost to the vanishing point, among young voters.
Under Obama, the Democratic base has shrunk numerically and demographically. With superior organization, he was able to stitch together a 51 percent majority in 2012.
But like other Democratic majority coalitions — Woodrow Wilson’s, Lyndon Johnson’s, even Franklin Roosevelt’s — it has proved to be fragile and subject to fragmentation.
5) In many states — including many carried twice by Obama — Republicans have been governing successfully, at least in the estimation of their voters. Gov. Scott Walker has won his third victory in four years in Wisconsin against the frantic efforts of public employee unions.

ALL of it here:
The Obama minority New York Post

the election wasn't a national one and not every state had senatorial elections, it was the last hurrah for the white old half dead christianists who voted in this off year election. President Obama still can yield the veto pen and the white christianist party doesn't have the votes to override him ,Lets roll steph!!:laugh2:

looked like a wave to me although old juan Williams wouldn't admit as he blinked back tears . As far as mrobama using his veto , let him . All Ted Cuz and others have to do is keep sending proposals to the prez . We'll see , should be interesting to watch and I want to see the HOUSE start denying money to fund much of mrobamas proposals and ideas like 6 billion dollars to west Africa to fund the fighting of ebola Guno .

Last edited:
the election wasn't a national one and not every state had senatorial elections, it was the last hurrah for the white old half dead christianists
TRANSLATION: I didn't even read the OP, or didn't want to, and I can't refute any of it. I'll just keep repeating the same fibs and wishful thinking about the election (not knowing that I'm doing exactly what the OP said Democrats are still doing), and hope somebody believes me instead of the OP.

the election wasn't a national one and not every state had senatorial elections, it was the last hurrah for the white old half dead christianists who voted in this off year election. President Obama still can yield the veto pen and the white christianist party doesn't have the votes to override him ,Lets roll steph!!:laugh2:

If Obama wants money he better learn to play nice in the sandbox m'kay?

It's called the "power of the purse" and it's in Republican's hands.

yep Tinydancer but the repubs need to start using that power !!

Nothing hateful in that post, guno, I will say a prayer that you might get your brain back.

don't really know '2nd amendment' , might be unconstitutional [chuckle] , yeah , I don't know !!

thing is , I was telling my dentist the other day that the whole country seems lawless !! Same flag , same govt. buildings ,same uniforms on officials , same country but no rules at least on mrobama , I'm amazed '2nd amendment' !! Didn't see anything like it during 'carter' or 'clinton' although I was younger then and maybe wouldn't / didn't notice .

Forum List

Back