The one trait that predicts you are a Trump supporter

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
It's authortarianism!

If I asked you what most defines Donald Trump supporters, what would you say? They’re white? They’re poor? They’re uneducated? You’d be wrong. In fact, I’ve found a single statistically significant variable predicts whether a voter supports Trump—and it’s not race, income or education levels: It’s authoritarianism. ...

My finding is the result of a national poll I conducted in the last five days of December under the auspices of the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, sampling 1,800 registered voters across the country and the political spectrum. Running a standard statistical analysis, I found that education, income, gender, age, ideology and religiosity had no significant bearing on a Republican voter’s preferred candidate. Only two of the variables I looked at were statistically significant: authoritarianism, followed by fear of terrorism, though the former was far more significant than the latter.

Authoritarianism is not a new, untested concept in the American electorate. Since the rise of Nazi Germany, it has been one of the most widely studied ideas in social science. While its causes are still debated, the political behavior of authoritarians is not. Authoritarians obey. They rally to and follow strong leaders. And they respond aggressively to outsiders, especially when they feel threatened. From pledging to “make America great again” by building a wall on the border to promising to close mosques and ban Muslims from visiting the United States, Trump is playing directly to authoritarian inclinations.

Not all authoritarians are Republicans by any means; in national surveys since 1992, many authoritarians have also self-identified as independents and Democrats. And in the 2008 Democratic primary, the political scientist Marc Hetherington found that authoritarianism mattered more than income, ideology, gender, age and education in predicting whether voters preferred Hillary Clinton over Barack Obama. But Hetherington has also found, based on 14 years of polling, that authoritarians have steadily moved from the Democratic to the Republican Party over time. He hypothesizes that the trend began decades ago, as Democrats embraced civil rights, gay rights, employment protections and other political positions valuing freedom and equality. In my poll results, authoritarianism was not a statistically significant factor in the Democratic primary race, at least not so far, but it does appear to be playing an important role on the Republican side. Indeed, 49 percent of likely Republican primary voters I surveyed score in the top quarter of the authoritarian scale—more than twice as many as Democratic voters.​

The One Weird Trait That Predicts Whether You’re a Trump Supporter

It reminds of The Simpsons episode where Sideshow Bob runs for mayor. When he's being hauled away, he says "You want to be ruled by a king with an iron fist!"

It's authortarianism!

If I asked you what most defines Donald Trump supporters, what would you say? They’re white? They’re poor? They’re uneducated? You’d be wrong. In fact, I’ve found a single statistically significant variable predicts whether a voter supports Trump—and it’s not race, income or education levels: It’s authoritarianism. ...

My finding is the result of a national poll I conducted in the last five days of December under the auspices of the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, sampling 1,800 registered voters across the country and the political spectrum. Running a standard statistical analysis, I found that education, income, gender, age, ideology and religiosity had no significant bearing on a Republican voter’s preferred candidate. Only two of the variables I looked at were statistically significant: authoritarianism, followed by fear of terrorism, though the former was far more significant than the latter.

Authoritarianism is not a new, untested concept in the American electorate. Since the rise of Nazi Germany, it has been one of the most widely studied ideas in social science. While its causes are still debated, the political behavior of authoritarians is not. Authoritarians obey. They rally to and follow strong leaders. And they respond aggressively to outsiders, especially when they feel threatened. From pledging to “make America great again” by building a wall on the border to promising to close mosques and ban Muslims from visiting the United States, Trump is playing directly to authoritarian inclinations.

Not all authoritarians are Republicans by any means; in national surveys since 1992, many authoritarians have also self-identified as independents and Democrats. And in the 2008 Democratic primary, the political scientist Marc Hetherington found that authoritarianism mattered more than income, ideology, gender, age and education in predicting whether voters preferred Hillary Clinton over Barack Obama. But Hetherington has also found, based on 14 years of polling, that authoritarians have steadily moved from the Democratic to the Republican Party over time. He hypothesizes that the trend began decades ago, as Democrats embraced civil rights, gay rights, employment protections and other political positions valuing freedom and equality. In my poll results, authoritarianism was not a statistically significant factor in the Democratic primary race, at least not so far, but it does appear to be playing an important role on the Republican side. Indeed, 49 percent of likely Republican primary voters I surveyed score in the top quarter of the authoritarian scale—more than twice as many as Democratic voters.​

It reminds of The Simpsons episode where Sideshow Bob runs for mayor. When he's being hauled away, he says "You want to be ruled by a king with an iron fist!"

How did the study determine you were an authoritarian? Why, because you supported Trump, silly.

:cuckoo:

Matthew MacWilliams is founder of MacWilliams Sanders, a political communications firms, and a Ph.D. candidate in political science at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, where he is writing his dissertation about authoritarianism.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/01/donald-trump-2016-authoritarian-213533#ixzz3xqLgmQPj

In other words, he's a government trained propaganda artist.

I looked him up on RateMyProfessor, quite a few comments about how he pushes his political agenda, he's a left loon

It's authortarianism!

I'm for Authoritarianism and Totalitarianism. We have the leather and the horsewhips....all Liberals secretly want to be dominated by us therefore :dev2: :smoke: :whip::wink:

Matthew MacWilliams is founder of MacWilliams Sanders, a political communications firms, and a Ph.D. candidate in political science at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, where he is writing his dissertation about authoritarianism.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/01/donald-trump-2016-authoritarian-213533#ixzz3xqLgmQPj

I looked him up on RateMyProfessor, quite a few comments about how he pushes his political agenda, he's a left loon

I had a history professor in college who said the reason people vote Republican is because they were abused as children.

This is what passes for "education" in the modern government subsidized university.

I had a history professor in college who said the reason people vote Republican is because they were abused as children.

This is what passes for "education" in the modern government subsidized university.

I had one that blamed Reagan for everything bad that has ever happened on the planet, he was an asshole left loon and if one person ever pushed me away from Liberalism it was him.

I don't see anything anti-Trump about his post. In fact, I'm a luke-warm Trump supporter myself and I agree completely.

"We" Trump supporters are tired of wishy-washy politicians who either lack the courage or require the support of insidious societal forces, and refuse to do what is Right. Trump lays it on the line and he can't be bought. And he doesn't have to curry the favor of a thousand different special interest groups to fund his next campaign, should there be one.

You bet your ass I want an authoritarian President. Someone who will kick ass and take names.

I don't see anything anti-Trump about his post. In fact, I'm a luke-warm Trump supporter myself and I agree completely.

"We" Trump supporters are tired of wishy-washy politicians who either lack the courage or require the support of insidious societal forces, and refuse to do what is Right. Trump lays it on the line and he can't be bought. And he doesn't have to curry the favor of a thousand different special interest groups to fund his next campaign, should there be one.

You bet your ass I want an authoritarian President. Someone who will kick ass and take names.

I think you're getting warmer. Keep going, DGS49!

because that's so how the world works. :cuckoo:

I'm the least authoritarian person on the planet, and I support Trump.

From the link in the OP: MY B/U

What is it they say, when your a hammer, everything looks like a nail. I wonder why no link to the actual survey questions and data were made available?

maxresdefault.jpg

Forum List

Back