The Origin of Life

And we know it happened once and only once on Earth. Never before and never since.

If even true, it's not hard to explain. The available organic material is finite. It would make sense that the first successful model would flourish at the expense of all other models, which would explain both why one model came to dominate and why it still dominates.

Not dominate. Not predominate or preeminent. Organic life, of singular origin, is the ONLY life. Within that life we see dominate life forms...in certain habitats certain species do predominate. But they don't scour that habitat clean of every other life form.

Yes, "dominate", as you cannot know that it is the "only" life. There may be other types of life right here on our planet that we havent found, and may not recognize as life if we did.

It is undeniable that life started once on Earth. Only once. A one time event never repeated.
What are the implications of that fact?

It's likely the conditions that gave rise to life, a primordial soup of amino acids and some type of lipid-like substance, possibly near a volcanic vent or even in shallow water on the surface with lightning possibly playing a part, single living cells likely were sparked trillions of times in the right conditions with the vast majority not being viable to survive with DNA or RNA that replicated itself. But a relatively small number did, divided, and life was off and running. It is a misnomer to lead people to believe it was a single event with one cell.

And then it took another 2.5 billion years for multi-celled organisms to evolve.

I find it incredibly imposable that all mammals came from saber toothed moles

Why would you think that? It's a mathematical certainty (and supported by all the evidence) that all mammals share a common ancestor. And I don't mean "one species", I mean one individual of one species.
link?
Most recent common ancestor - ISOGG Wiki

In fact, if you took any two individuals on Earth (extant or extinct, and of any species), they share a common ancestor that was one individual of one species.

Last edited:
It is undeniable that life started once on Earth. Only once. A one time event never repeated.

It's likely the conditions that gave rise to life, a primordial soup of amino acids and some type of lipid-like substance, possibly near a volcanic vent or even in shallow water on the surface with lightning possibly playing a part, single living cells likely were sparked trillions of times in the right conditions with the vast majority not being viable to survive with DNA or RNA that replicated itself. But a relatively small number did, divided, and life was off and running. It is a misnomer to lead people to believe it was a single event with one cell.

And then it took another 2.5 billion years for multi-celled organisms to evolve.

Absolutely not. That’s the point of my post. News that life had been pushed back again to an almost unbelievable early date.
Apparently life is more likely than we thought because it *didnt* take as long as previously thought.
Yet it only happened one time which makes what happened, by definition, a rarity.
I don’t know the answer. It’s why I asked for speculations. If anyone can point me to an article on this particular question I’ll look forward to reading it. Maybe there is some theory that I missed. Mostly it seems to be ignored.

Last edited:
I find it incredibly imposable that all mammals came from saber toothed moles

Why would you think that? It's a mathematical certainty (and supported by all the evidence) that all mammals share a common ancestor. And I don't mean "one species", I mean one individual of one species.
link?
Most recent common ancestor - ISOGG Wiki

In fact, if you took any two individuals on Earth (extant or extinct, and of any species), they share a common ancestor that was one individual of one species.

It is recursive. Primates share a common ancestor. Mammals share a come ancestor. Vertebrates share a common ancestor. Eukaryotes share a common ancestor...all the way back to the origin.
If anyone ever read Larry Niven sci-fi remember the species breeding humans for luck? Well it turns out to be almost like that in reality...every single ancestor of yours, over billions of years, survived to reproduce.
Actually it just means the fittest survived. But it’s neat to think of the lucky part :)

Absolutely not. You must be reading decades old science books.

He's pretty close, actually. Now we think it took 2.9 billion years for the first multi-cellular organisms to evolve from single-celled organisms.

Go play with your blocks.

He's pretty close, actually. Now we think it took 2.9 billion years for the first multi-cellular organisms to evolve from single-celled organisms.

That isn’t the origin of life. That’s the origin of more advanced forms of life. It is the origin of life I am speaking of.
Eukaryotes and then multicellular life are amazing advances. But still directly descended from that first cell.

Go play with your blocks.

Didn’t mean an insult. It’s just that Darwin’s “warm little pool” with lightening strikes is now not seen as likely. It’s an old theory.

That isn’t the origin of life. That’s the origin of more advanced forms of life. It is the origin of life I am speaking of.
Eukaryotes and then multicellular life are amazing advances. But still directly descended from that first cell.

Right, agreed.

Yet it only happened one time

You keep saying that, yet we could not possibly know the truth of that.

As far as we know. The evidence we see says “one time”. Maybe there will be evidence to the contrary but in the meantime science doesn’t deal in speculative theories except to prove or disprove them.
Absence of evidence may seem to not be evidence of absence. But in this case it is...until evidence is found.

As far as we know. The evidence we see says “one time”. Maybe there will be evidence to the contrary but in the meantime science doesn’t deal in speculative theories except to prove or disprove them.
Absence of evidence may seem to not be evidence of absence. But in this case it is...until evidence is found.

I dont agree that the evidence says "exactly one time". It says "at least one time". Saying "exactly one time" is FAR more speculative than saying "at least one time". On top of that, we have not and may not ever have done an exhaustive search of the evidence. We may never find other types of life here (past, present, or future), and we may not recognize it as life if we did find it.

I dont agree that the evidence says "exactly one time". It says "at least one time". Saying "exactly one time" is FAR more speculative than saying "at least one time". On top of that, we have not and may not ever have done an exhaustive search of the evidence. We may never find other types of life here (past, present, or future), and we may not recognize it as life if we did find it.

Well, since Im not trying to argue, and to keep the focus, i'll say "all the life that we see and can know and have ever discovered is descended from one single point in time. Isnt that amazing?
And recent findings have pushed that origin back to the very early Earth so we have seen many many multiples of the time it took to originate life. Interesting that it isn't forming still."

Last edited:

Well, since Im not trying to argue, and to keep the focus, i'll say "all the life that we see and can know and have ever discovered is descended from one single point in time. Isnt that amazing?"

Yes!

And while it is amazing, it does make sense, in light of both evolution and abiogenesis. The most efficient, flourishing, self-replicating model of life would grow in population exponentially, and it would do so at the expense of all other existing models. And it could even be the case that, when this model of life emerged, any other types which had formed might have either already been selected out of existence or into a critically low population state.

And the earlier we place the formation of life on this planet, the easier it becomes to believe that other types of life also quickly formed.

Well, since Im not trying to argue, and to keep the focus, i'll say "all the life that we see and can know and have ever discovered is descended from one single point in time. Isnt that amazing?"

Yes!

And while it is amazing, it does make sense, in light of both evolution and abiogenesis. The most efficient, flourishing, self-replicating model of life would grow in population exponentially, and it would do so at the expense of all other existing models. And it could even be the case that, when this model of life emerged, any other types which had formed might have either already been selected out of existence or into a critically low population state.

And the earlier we place the formation of life on this planet, the easier it becomes to believe that other types of life also quickly formed.

It could be. Another interesting possibility.
I just dont see any evidence of life being scoured clean by other types of life. But its possible, maybe even likely, that conditions or events in Earth's history wiped out other less adaptable forms. Like The Great Oxygenation Event. Or the Late Heavy Bombardment. But our particular form of life did survive all those things. Why would it be so different?

How would you know? And did it start here or was it, started here by other life?

I did not post the above, it was the original post, I believe. It is obviously a firm proposition, but all the physical evidence denies panspermia, directed or not. His first sentence is true. Given the complexity of life, his second sentence is highly probable as is his third sentence. As your question asks, what is known presently is what induces the proposition. The conclusion from the first post sentence answers your question "did it start here?" The idea "other life" started it here is panspermic, unless you are speaking about the transcendent power outside this universe, known as God, who created it all, and is evident from all indications that the complexity of even the simplest first life is far beyond what naturalism can account for in the origin of life.

Forum List

Back