The Pandemic is Over

The Pandemic can’t be over. It can never be over. If it’s over my employer is going to start making me come into the office a couple times a week rather than working remotely all the time. I far prefer my 40 foot commute from bed to desk over my hour long ride to the office.

My employer made most of us permanent remote since we have proven we can do our work without sitting in space they are paying rent on. Saves both of us money and that money they save is being passed on with raises.

Life is good!

My employer made most of us permanent remote since we have proven we can do our work without sitting in space they are paying rent on. Saves both of us money and that money they save is being passed on with raises.
We’ve been more productive as a department the two years we’ve been remote than we ever were before. My employer doesn’t want to classify anyone as fully remote for tax reasons (apparently) and because we support groups that work mostly if not completely in the office. Most of us are not happy about it.

We’ve been more productive as a department the two years we’ve been remote than we ever were before. My employer doesn’t want to classify anyone as fully remote for tax reasons (apparently) and because we support groups that work mostly if not completely in the office. Most of us are not happy about it.

I do not blame you. My brother is an architect and his firm tried to make him come back to the office this past August after more than a year of working from home. He had move 1.5 hours away during that time. He and a couple others told them he would quit and find another firm. His boss called him and asked if there was anything from the office he would like to pick up to make his work from home more comfortable!

A year ago today, however, Cruz went further than most. As far as the GOP senator was concerned, Democrats were not simply pretending to care about the spread of COVID-19, they also were "willing" to "destroy people's lives and livelihoods" in order to make Trump look bad.

Or put another way, Cruz effectively saw Democratic officials at the state and local level as engaging in a sociopathic election-season scam, which would all be revealed the moment Joe Biden became the president-elect.

The Texan "guaranteed" it.

Pandemic not over, Blame belongs to all who made it a political problem instead of the medical problem that it is. Both party's no exceptions.

Fauci really thought printing out "Fire Fauci" website screenshots from Rand Paul's website and holding them up on live TV would be a good idea. I can't stop laughing

I do not blame you. My brother is an architect and his firm tried to make him come back to the office this past August after more than a year of working from home. He had move 1.5 hours away during that time. He and a couple others told them he would quit and find another firm. His boss called him and asked if there was anything from the office he would like to pick up to make his work from home more comfortable!

There are some things called "presence jobs" that require you to be where the work is. I'm a Resident Engineer, which means I have to be onsite to oversee the inspectors and contractors doing the work.

Also even if the designers in Engineering/Architecture can do work from home, they still need to come into the office for certain tasks.

There are some things called "presence jobs" that require you to be where the work is. I'm a Resident Engineer, which means I have to be onsite to oversee the inspectors and contractors doing the work.

Yes, I am aware of that. My job is not one of those.

Also even if the designers in Engineering/Architecture can do work from home, they still need to come into the office for certain tasks.

My brother never goes to the office any more, he does though travel to the sites to ensure his plans are being followed. He has specialized in hospitals and does travel to them to ensure compliance.

My Brother-in-law has been working from home for almost 20 years. He was an engineer for ATT, he designed communications systems for companies/events. They would tell him they needed and he would design the system and lay out the needed equipment. During one of ATTs purges they fired everyone that did this job. His manger had seen the writing on the wall and started his own company to do this very thing. The week after the let them all go, my BIL was working for this person doing the exact same job minus the benefits but at a higher salary. There was no office for them to go to after that.

Yes, I am aware of that. My job is not one of those.

My brother never goes to the office any more, he does though travel to the sites to ensure his plans are being followed. He has specialized in hospitals and does travel to them to ensure compliance.

My Brother-in-law has been working from home for almost 20 years. He was an engineer for ATT, he designed communications systems for companies/events. They would tell him they needed and he would design the system and lay out the needed equipment. During one of ATTs purges they fired everyone that did this job. His manger had seen the writing on the wall and started his own company to do this very thing. The week after the let them all go, my BIL was working for this person doing the exact same job minus the benefits but at a higher salary. There was no office for them to go to after that.

Working from home long stretches requires dedication. My concern is about how many people have that.

There is also the envy concern you may start to get. People will see others not going to work, and then wonder why they can't do the same. I see this as a big issue with teachers.

Finally, the unintended consequence of all this could be the destruction of urban downtown areas.

Pandemic not over, Blame belongs to all who made it a political problem instead of the medical problem that it is. Both party's no exceptions.
Looks like it's over to me. People like Fauci made too big a deal about Covid. Americans wasted two years of their lives hibernating for nothing.

Working from home long stretches requires dedication. My concern is about how many people have that.

I agree. It was hard to adjust to. But the results have been solid for just about 2 years so it is hard to argue with them.

There is also the envy concern you may start to get. People will see others not going to work, and then wonder why they can't do the same. I see this as a big issue with teachers.

Yeah, I can see that. Heck, I used to be a tad envious of my BIL working from home.

Finally, the unintended consequence of all this could be the destruction of urban downtown areas.

Without a doubt, this will be a huge change. In St Louis (and I assume other locations) ATT made 50% of their workforce permanently remote. A good friend of mine is a Customer Service Rep and he is now 100% remote.

This would be a very bad time to be in a the commercial real estate market. A lot of office buildings will be sitting empty and unrented till someone thinks of something to do with them.

I agree. It was hard to adjust to. But the results have been solid for just about 2 years so it is hard to argue with them.

Yeah, I can see that. Heck, I used to be a tad envious of my BIL working from home.

Without a doubt, this will be a huge change. In St Louis (and I assume other locations) ATT made 50% of their workforce permanently remote. A good friend of mine is a Customer Service Rep and he is now 100% remote.

This would be a very bad time to be in a the commercial real estate market. A lot of office buildings will be sitting empty and unrented till someone thinks of something to do with them.

It's also going to be an income/demographic heavy shift. Buildings will still have to be maintained, servers run, but the question is where?

The biggest job losses will be in the service industries, restaurants, bars, delis, etc.

The biggest job losses will be in the service industries, restaurants, bars, delis, etc.
Those jobs will come back.

The question is, what to do with all the office space that is no longer being rented? Some can be converted to apartments/condos, but that won't work everywhere.

Those jobs will come back.

They might move, but will not come back till people are in those building again.

The question is, what to do with all the office space that is no longer being rented? Some can be converted to apartments/condos, but that won't work everywhere.

There is some talk of this to entice people to move back to the city from the burbs.

It's also going to be an income/demographic heavy shift. Buildings will still have to be maintained, servers run, but the question is where?

Whatever the outcome I see this as far and away the biggest lasting legacy of COVID

They might move, but will not come back till people are in those building again.
The restaurants will bounce back if they are by a residential area. I agree restaurants in downtown (office) areas are likely to close or move.

Forum List

Back