The Pope takes back his Church

Why do the moderators permit the same ignorant schmucks jumping in to spout their political junk diatribes on every thread? We were talking about a man leading millions of believers and his efforts to improve their lot and give them a reason to have faith.

Unlike the vast majority of his predecessors, he shuns the trappings on his office and is trying to set an example to his fellow priests on their responsibilities to their congregations and those who might seek succor from the church.

What is so wrong in that? And, why do the same posters turn it into a political discussion?

Im all for the Pope cleaning up his church. But we are in a thread where the Pope is being praised for statements that are being represented as political, so why on earth wouldn't politics be discussed.

Humans can be religious and political. As much as some people like to pretend there is no connection between the two whatsoever, the fact is, there very much is.

LMFAO. The side of sweet reason? "In your economic vision, people don't help each other enough" is not a statement of logic. It's one of morality. Please learn the difference.

Ethics and logic are not mutually exclusive, please read a book. In the Pope's economic vision, governments shouldn't be rigged to create a permanent underclass that serve their whole lives as serfs to prop up the profits of a few privileged slackers at the top.

the soviet union fell you know....

The Homeless Lobby / Poverty PAC | Depravity wraps itself in platitudinous twaddle.

I have to say, after complaining bitterly for decades about the Holy See trammeling the starving third world with edicts against all but the most unreliable forms of birth control, that I absolutely love this new Pope, Francis, and that his chosen name, after Assisi, must have been ordained by the heavens themselves. I’m not a Catholic, or even a practicing Christian, but it was with tears in my eyes that I read a world religious leader both express true concern for the poor and the powerless, and lay blame at the feet of the “deified” social Darwinism behind the misery:

good-pope-francis.jpg

As many faithful as the Church has in her pews, can it be finally be hoped that the culture of greed (for goodness sake) will finally and at long last be jammed from the world consciousness?

:eusa_pray:

He speaks to the masses that have put the almighty dollar ahead of caring for the poor and underprivileged.

I am not Catholic, but I'm very pleased with this new pope, he is concentrating on what is truly important in life, some of the things that we have forgotten, mainly, that God provides for His own.....so many Christians are fighting tooth and nail to get "more" after they've claimed to believe in God and his provisions.

Do you seriously believe that Jesus would condone making a profit off of a sick child that bankrupts a family?

and the lord said- read the fine print......

the 1:00 minute mark

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9GE9P56tK4o#t=60]Ride On - YouTube[/ame]

So hardworking Americans deserve to be bankrupted because their child is sick?

Why is it always about "deserve" with lefties these days? Can't people get through one leg of one argument without bringing subjectivity and morality into the discussion as though they count for anything?

Why do the moderators permit the same ignorant schmucks jumping in to spout their political junk diatribes on every thread? We were talking about a man leading millions of believers and his efforts to improve their lot and give them a reason to have faith.

Unlike the vast majority of his predecessors, he shuns the trappings on his office and is trying to set an example to his fellow priests on their responsibilities to their congregations and those who might seek succor from the church.

What is so wrong in that? And, why do the same posters turn it into a political discussion?

In all fairness, it was a political discussion to begin with. If the pope simply said people need to do more to help the poor, it would not be so.

What the pope said was that a particular economic system is immoral. Since, in most of the world, vying economic philosophies fall pretty reliably along various party lines, any conversations revolving around the pope's statement can't really help but be political in nature.

Essentially, if the pope didn't want to talk politics, he shouldn't have taken a shot at macroeconomics.

And wtf at everybody taking a crack at this subject, lately? Guys with economic PHD's haven't even come to much of a consensus regarding what actually works. Why is it that people who, for instance, studied the bible all their lives, suddenly feel qualified to analyze accurately a subject that the people in the top of that subject's field still don't have a real firm grasp on?

and the lord said- read the fine print......

the 1:00 minute mark

Ride On - YouTube

Why is it always about "deserve" with lefties these days? Can't people get through one leg of one argument without bringing subjectivity and morality into the discussion as though they count for anything?

Why can't you accept that "deserve" is synonymous with Christianity? It should resonate more with righties, since more righties claim to be Christian than lefties....Jesus taught empathy for the unfortunate, and to see a family bankrupted due to an illness should not be anyone's desire, whether Christian or not, because, we don't know when we will be in the same boat.

In all fairness, it was a political discussion to begin with. If the pope simply said people need to do more to help the poor, it would not be so.

What the pope said was that a particular economic system is immoral. Since, in most of the world, vying economic philosophies fall pretty reliably along various party lines, any conversations revolving around the pope's statement can't really help but be political in nature.

Essentially, if the pope didn't want to talk politics, he shouldn't have taken a shot at macroeconomics.

And wtf at everybody taking a crack at this subject, lately? Guys with economic PHD's haven't even come to much of a consensus regarding what actually works. Why is it that people who, for instance, studied the bible all their lives, suddenly feel qualified to analyze accurately a subject that the people in the top of that subject's field still don't have a real firm grasp on?

Aha, I thought so....he hit the nail on the head and that is why so many so called Christians are uncomfortable with his position....:lol:

Now, if he would only open those accounting books. A lot of wealth hidden away there that could go a long way to alleviating all the poverty the church assails governments for not addressing.

Aha, I thought so....he hit the nail on the head and that is why so many so called Christians are uncomfortable with his position....:lol:

except he did not. he revealed the view based on his own interpretation and experience of the economic system of SOME of the Third world.

Has absolutely NOTHING to do with economics in the First and even in those countries which used to be Second.

he'd better stick to the matters of souls and the economy inside the Vatican curia.

I don't want to fight government - I want to make it work properly. To me, one way to achieve that is to stop electing people to the job who want it NOT to.

Why would anyone want to "fight" We the People? Isn't it easier for us to just work out a compromise instead? The utter stupidity of those who perceive We the People to be the "enemy" that needs to be "fought" never ceases to amaze me.

What is truly amazing is you think the government = the people and that you somehow represent the people by supporting the government.

The government is a derivative of the people. And the people have, not only a right, but an obligation to reign in control over it.

What are the first words of the Preamble to the Constitution?

If you don't understand that concept then there is no point in wasting time with someone who believes that his God should be in charge instead!

Why can't you accept that "deserve" is synonymous with Christianity? It should resonate more with righties, since more righties claim to be Christian than lefties....Jesus taught empathy for the unfortunate, and to see a family bankrupted due to an illness should not be anyone's desire, whether Christian or not, because, we don't know when we will be in the same boat.

I can and do accept that dogmatic values belong in a dogmatic system. Christians are fine, there, because there's no pretense. There's nothing hidden about the dogmatic premises, they're right out in the open for all to see.

With modern lefties, the dogma is often presented under the guise of logic, as though it's not simply morality, but that coincidentally the best possible overall economic results are achieved via those subjective values. Or, worse, sometimes modern liberal dogma is presented as nearly factual, as though to argue that value renders your logic invalid. The statement, "There's nothing emotional about saying people deserve to make a living wage," comes to mind. Obviously, the implication is that this is simply an obvious fact, not a moral opinion. I can't remember which nutjob even worded it like that, but you see shit like that all the time, where mainstream liberal values are presented as though they're off limits for discussion. Usually with the same religious zeal that Christians display when they say shit like, "God created Adam and Even, not Adam and Steve," and boom, anyone with half a brain knows you shouldn't even bother discussing it any further.

Another of my favorites in this category is the new assumption that people who are charitable believe that the government should redistribute wealth, and people who don't believe the government should be in charge of deciding who gets what are automatically greedy. Not sure when the definition of generosity became the desire to use the force of government to take someone's money and give it to someone else, but apparently that's just an assumed fact, now. A lot of lefties even refer to the charitable giving tax deduction as a God damned loop hole! Can you fucking believe it!? So if I give 500 dollars to the Red Cross (who's pretty low on the ranking of charities in terms of money-in-money-out ratios, but still far more efficient than the govt), and I can therefore take 500 dollars off of my taxable income, the govt loses out on 75 tax dollars that it could've given to the poor, after taking the necessary (I can barely use that term here without laughing) cut.

So lemme get this straight: If I decide that I'd rather give 500 dollars to the red cross who'll get a higher percentage of that 500 to the poor than the percentage of the 75 tax dollars that the government would otherwise be throwing out there, I'm being a greedy business man and taking advantage of a tax loophole? Are you fucking kidding me?!

Anyway, enough ranting. God damn dogmatists. Honestly never understood how more Christians weren't Democrats in the first place. Labor religions and mystic religions actually have a lot in common.

If you weren't gonna address a single point that I made, why did you bother to quote me? Seems a long way to go when all you really did there was assumed I'm Christian and uncomfortable and implied that the pope's view here (your view) is obviously correct.

Is it your logic circuit that's broken or is it just that debate's a foreign concept?

Why would anyone want to "fight" We the People? Isn't it easier for us to just work out a compromise instead? The utter stupidity of those who perceive We the People to be the "enemy" that needs to be "fought" never ceases to amaze me.

What is truly amazing is you think the government = the people and that you somehow represent the people by supporting the government.

The government is a derivative of the people. And the people have, not only a right, but an obligation to reign in control over it.

If you don't understand that concept then there is no point in wasting time with someone who believes that his God should be in charge instead!

So lemme see if I've got your flow char worked out, here. . . .

Since the people who wrote the Constitution were the colonial government, and they used the phrase, "We the people", that means that "we the people" and "government" are synonymous?

So if someone in our government became a dictator and decided to go fully totalitarian, that would still be self-governance, right? Still just we the people governing ourselves?

I take it then that the desire for smaller government is inherently anti-American as well, despite the fact that the entire concept of the Constitution was to enumerate and restrict the powers of the government?

Seems like quite a logical stretch to base this sorta shit on the wording of the preamble. The verbage of relevant legislation doesn't decide reality ;)

Nothing the pope does will change the fact that the catholic church is a big business:

The church does not release financial data, but a lengthy report by The Economist last year said annual spending by the Vatican and church-owned entities in the U.S. alone was about $170 billion in 2010. While there are no hard data about the U.S. Catholic Church's annual revenue, Slate puts those spending numbers into some perspective -- noting that in fiscal 2012 Apple (AAPL -1.39%) had $157 billion in revenue and that only 16 companies have more than $170 billion in revenue.

US Catholic Church a $170 billion business- MSN Money

except he did not. he revealed the view based on his own interpretation and experience of the economic system of SOME of the Third world.

Has absolutely NOTHING to do with economics in the First and even in those countries which used to be Second.

he'd better stick to the matters of souls and the economy inside the Vatican curia.

But the matter of souls largely depends on what the people do, the people that he leads....and when they start worshiping the mighty dollar, they lose track of what's really important. I'm sure he was addressing Catholics, but the message really applies to other believers, too. He must have stepped on a lot of toes, as we're hearing a lot of "ouchies"!

Nothing the pope does will change the fact that the catholic church is a big business:

The church does not release financial data, but a lengthy report by The Economist last year said annual spending by the Vatican and church-owned entities in the U.S. alone was about $170 billion in 2010. While there are no hard data about the U.S. Catholic Church's annual revenue, Slate puts those spending numbers into some perspective -- noting that in fiscal 2012 Apple (AAPL -1.39%) had $157 billion in revenue and that only 16 companies have more than $170 billion in revenue.

US Catholic Church a $170 billion business- MSN Money

I'm curious. Now that you've done your best to denigrate the Catholic Church by its income, why not tell us how much of that it spends for routine costs that cannot be exempted. Things like personnel and administrative costs. You know, utilities, cleaning, maintenance, repair and the like.

Waiting to see a calm, elevated response.

If you weren't gonna address a single point that I made, why did you bother to quote me? Seems a long way to go when all you really did there was assumed I'm Christian and uncomfortable and implied that the pope's view here (your view) is obviously correct.
If you are not a Christian, then you have every right to discount what he said and continue to believe that your view on economics is the right one.....

Is it your logic circuit that's broken or is it just that debate's a foreign concept?
I didn't really accuse you of being Christian, just mentioned the fact that so many so called Christians are uncomfortable with the Pope's position. Since you are not, then there is no reason for you to align with the pope, the mighty dollar is most important. Nothing wrong with my logic, but I couldn't say the same for those that believe in trickle down economics works when the evidence clearly shows that it doesn't work.

Since the people who wrote the Constitution were the colonial government, and they used the phrase, "We the people", that means that "we the people" and "government" are synonymous?

So if someone in our government became a dictator and decided to go fully totalitarian, that would still be self-governance, right? Still just we the people governing ourselves?

I take it then that the desire for smaller government is inherently anti-American as well, despite the fact that the entire concept of the Constitution was to enumerate and restrict the powers of the government?

Seems like quite a logical stretch to base this sorta shit on the wording of the preamble. The verbage of relevant legislation doesn't decide reality ;)

So according to you all of the Founding Fathers and Lincoln were 100% wrong when they used the term "We the People" when they referred to a government OF the people, BY the people and FOR the people!

So according to you all of the Founding Fathers and Lincoln were 100% wrong when they used the term "We the People" when they referred to a government OF the people, BY the people and FOR the people!

No, not wrong, just lumping themselves in with everyone else.

Conversely, is it your contention that simply due to politicians past using the term "we the people", the reality is now that government and "the people" are one in the same?

The polling numbers on certain recent massive legislation, something about health and a website, would suggest otherwise.

If the government and the people were one in the same, it would be impossible for the will of the government and the will of the people to be two different things, no?

And yet, here we are, Obamacare passed, signed, and instated.

Forum List

Back