The Pope Would Like You to Accept Evolution And the Big Bang

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
This is going to cause some conversation.

The Pope Would Like You to Accept Evolution And the Big Bang Smart News Smithsonian

Yesterday, Pope Francis, the head of the Roman Catholic Church, said that Darwinian evolution is real, and so is the Big Bang, according to the Telegraph. Elsewhere in his speech to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, the Pope said:

“When we read about Creation in Genesis, we run the risk of imagining God was a magician, with a magic wand able to do everything. But that is not so,” Francis said.

He added: “He created human beings and let them develop according to the internal laws that he gave to each one so they would reach their fulfilment.

The Pope's stance on evolution and cosmology still leaves room for a divine creator, says the Telegraph, but places his or her role in the time before the birth of the universe as we know it.
<more>

Read more: History Travel Arts Science People Places Smithsonian
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! Give the gift of Smithsonian
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

The Pope Would Like You to Accept Evolution And the Big Bang Smart News Smithsonian

Yesterday, Pope Francis, the head of the Roman Catholic Church, said that Darwinian evolution is real, and so is the Big Bang, according to the Telegraph. Elsewhere in his speech to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, the Pope said:

“When we read about Creation in Genesis, we run the risk of imagining God was a magician, with a magic wand able to do everything. But that is not so,” Francis said.

He added: “He created human beings and let them develop according to the internal laws that he gave to each one so they would reach their fulfilment.

The Pope's stance on evolution and cosmology still leaves room for a divine creator, says the Telegraph, but places his or her role in the time before the birth of the universe as we know it.
<more>

Read more: History Travel Arts Science People Places Smithsonian
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! Give the gift of Smithsonian
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

The church has had this position for decades, this is nothing new. I got this talk in my science class in 8th Grade from the Pastor of the Parish. that was in 1988.

Father Lemaitre is the first person to suggest the big bang theory. He and Einstein became fairly close friends.

Or an assignation.

He's way too intelligent and progressive.

Or an assignation.

Oh this is old news. No need to be smarmy Luddly.

The Vatican finally formally waded into this in the 50's. It's old and on record with the Church.

And Catholic schools as far as I can remember have been teaching evolution as part of their science curriculum.

"Since the publication of Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species in 1859, the attitude of the Catholic Church on the theory of evolution has slowly been refined.

Early contributions to the development of evolutionary theory were made by Catholic scientists such as Jean-Baptiste Lamarck and the Augustinian monk Gregor Mendel.

For nearly a century, the papacy offered no authoritative pronouncement on Darwin's theories. In the 1950 encyclical Humani generis, Pope Pius XII confirmed that there is no intrinsic conflict between Christianity and the theory of evolution, provided that Christians believe that the individual soul is a direct creation by God and not the product of purely material forces.

Today, the Church supports theistic evolution(ism), also known as evolutionary creation, although Catholics are free not to believe in any part of evolutionary theory."

Catholic Church and evolution - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Or an assignation.

The Vatican finally formally waded into this in the 50's. It's old and on record with the Church.

And Catholic schools as far as I can remember have been teaching evolution as part of their science curriculum.

"Since the publication of Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species in 1859, the attitude of the Catholic Church on the theory of evolution has slowly been refined.

Early contributions to the development of evolutionary theory were made by Catholic scientists such as Jean-Baptiste Lamarck and the Augustinian monk Gregor Mendel.

For nearly a century, the papacy offered no authoritative pronouncement on Darwin's theories. In the 1950 encyclical Humani generis, Pope Pius XII confirmed that there is no intrinsic conflict between Christianity and the theory of evolution, provided that Christians believe that the individual soul is a direct creation by God and not the product of purely material forces.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_and_evolution#cite_note-1
Today, the Church supports theistic evolution(ism), also known as evolutionary creation, although Catholics are free not to believe in any part of evolutionary theory."

But the Far Right argues against what the Pope said today constantly on here.

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the Fiction Forum? Oops, I meant the Religion Forum.

The Pope is the leader of Catholics. He has nothing to do with the right at all much less the far right. The Pope and republicans have nothing to do with one another.

Other than that it sounds like the Pope is moving toward intelligent design.

Or an assignation.

But the Far Right argues against what the Pope said today constantly on here.

Faith has many grey areas on what individuals believe. I've read the OT many times over and it's pretty cool if you can make it thru the begats without screaming and running to the nearest Wiccan center.

:lol:

And it tells the history of man's relationship with God. Not the history of the whole world in detail.

To me that is the purpose of the Word. To know the Father of the Son who became my Saviour.

It was never designed by Jehovah to be lessons in science. So in faith individuals have a wide interpretation of science and history shown in the Bible.

My husband was schooled in the sciences at the University of Toronto so he's my go to guy on the science that is presented in the Word and how to come to grips with macro and mini evolution, Darwinism and how they relate to our faith.

It's an ongoing learning process.

Why is this posted in "current events"? One could argue that the source, the Smithsonian in the last has been the biggest thief of global treasures in the last 150 years. Are they going to get into extensional arguments now?

Forum List

Back