The Postal Service is running a 'covert operations program' that monitors Americans' social media posts

JustAGuy1

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2019
The law enforcement arm of the U.S. Postal Service has been quietly running a program that tracks and collects Americans’ social media posts, including those about planned protests, according to a document obtained by Yahoo News.

The details of the surveillance effort, known as iCOP, or Internet Covert Operations Program, have not previously been made public. The work involves having analysts trawl through social media sites to look for what the document describes as “inflammatory” postings and then sharing that information across government agencies.

To hell with the 4th amendment.

I hear they are looking to build a think tank of the greatest minds on social media, so we nothing to about.

Social media is public, people make it public on purpose, no 4th Amendment violation, sorry to pop your balloon.

Social media is public, people make it public on purpose, no 4th Amendment violation, sorry to pop your balloon.
Nevermind the fact that negative consequences for speaking your mind is against the First Amendment.

But please continue.

The law enforcement arm of the U.S. Postal Service has been quietly running a program that tracks and collects Americans’ social media posts, including those about planned protests, according to a document obtained by Yahoo News.

The details of the surveillance effort, known as iCOP, or Internet Covert Operations Program, have not previously been made public. The work involves having analysts trawl through social media sites to look for what the document describes as “inflammatory” postings and then sharing that information across government agencies.

To hell with the 4th amendment.
How long are we going to all pretend that social media is not a tool of government?

This is more proof.

Does anyone else remember when we all posted anonymously in chat rooms?

When you publicly post something, using your real name, you can't scream "Don't look at that!"

Does anyone else remember when we all posted anonymously in chat rooms?

When you publicly post something, using your real name, you can't scream "Don't look at that!"
What if you post it in a private chat room with only you and your closest friends on facebook, where it is clearly intended to be private, and government teams up with facebook, looks at your private communications about smoking pot, and you get a no-knock, guns-drawn warrant search (raid) from DEA a 2:00 a.m.?

What if you post it in a private chat room with only you and your closest friends on facebook, where it is clearly intended to be private, and government teams up with facebook, looks at your private communications about smoking pot, and you get a no-knock, guns-drawn warrant search (raid) from DEA a 2:00 a.m.?
I did read a couple of weeks ago that there is nothing private about facebook groups. I quit them last October, so I can't look to see what kind of privacy claims they have made.

Depending on someone else to maintain your privacy is naive.

I did read a couple of weeks ago that there is nothing private about facebook groups. I quit them last October, so I can't look to see what kind of privacy claims they have made.

Depending on someone else to maintain your privacy is naive.
I agree it is naïve, but the point remains--to the extent government can use facebook to view communications intended to be private, facebook has become a tool of government.

Forum List

Back