The Racist Redskins

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
1370042310269.cached.jpg

There’s a debate brewing—yet again—about whether the name of Washington’s football team is racist. Of course it is, says Michael Tomasky.

When George Preston Marshall died in 1969, he left some money to his children but directed that the bulk of his estate be used to set up a foundation in his name. He attached, however, one firm condition: that the foundation, operating out of Washington, D.C., should not direct a single dollar toward “any purpose which supports or employs the principle of racial integration in any form.” Think about that. This was not 1929 or 1949. Even in 1960 such a diktat might have been, well, “understandable” in a Southern city such as Washington then was. But 1969; “in any form.”

This is the man who gave the Washington Redskins their name. He was one of the most despicable racists in the American sporting arena of the entire 20th century. He thought Redskins was funny, just as he thought the war paint and feather headdress he made the head coach wear were funny. And this is the legacy that current Redskins owner Dan Snyder wants to uphold?

You’ve been reading about this name lately. More and more people are calling for the team to change it. There is legislation in Congress, based on the fact that under trademark legislation passed in 1946, a corporate “mark” can’t be disparaging of a people or group. Snyder says he’ll change the name approximately never (“and you can put that in all caps”). Most Americans, and most Redskins fans, agree with him. But all that shows is that those Americans and fans don’t know the history. Snyder, presumably, does. He should be ashamed.

Marshall had made a fortune in the commercial laundry business when he purchased the Boston Braves football team in 1932. His second coach was a man whose mother was thought to be part Sioux. Not known to be—thought to be. And on that flimsy basis, Marshall changed the name, in this coach’s “honor” (even though Marshall fired him after two seasons), from Braves to Redskins. It seems telling that “Braves” was somehow not authentic enough for Marshall.

Most famously of all, Marshall was the last owner to accept a black player—fully 15 years after the ban was lifted. And his team drafted an African-American then (in 1961) only because it was forced to by the government—the then-new stadium that we call RFK Stadium today was built on Department of Interior land, which permitted the Kennedy administration to order the lessee (the team) to adhere to federal nondiscrimination policies. In other words, Marshall wasn’t merely a standard-issue racist of the time, like H.L. Mencken or countless others. He was diseased. He seethed with hatred of nonwhite people. And “Redskins” is his handiwork. Because “Braves” wasn’t quite descriptive enough.

Now, I should note: Redskin is not the equivalent of the N word, as some are saying. The N word is in a class by itself, at least in this country, and so that comparison is self-discrediting. I saw Eleanor Holmes Norton on TV the other day make it. She should stop.

However, consider this. According to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary, “Redskin” is labeled “usually offensive.” Other words to which M-W appends that description are “****,” “dago,” and “darky.” Let’s all imagine, for the sake of argument, that the journeyman coach Marshall wished to “honor” had had a mother of possible Jewish, Italian, or African descent. How long do you suppose the name Washington Kikes, Washington Dagoes, or Washington Darkies would have lasted?

Not long. But “Redskins” lasts only because white people don’t know it’s offensive and don’t particularly care to stop and think about how and why it might be. They don’t know that it refers to the scalps (and skulls and corpses) of Native Americans, butchered by bounty hunters and delivered by the wagon-full to collect their payments from local authorities who’d authorized the kills. This recent poll that 79 percent of Americans aren’t bothered by the team’s name doesn’t impress me. All it means is that 79 percent of Americans need a history lesson.

More: The Racist Redskins - The Daily Beast

I was never offended by the name of the Washington Redskins - until I read this article. I had no idea the team was so-named by such an evil, racist bastard. Now, I despise the name and strongly advocate that it be changed.

1370042310269.cached.jpg

There’s a debate brewing—yet again—about whether the name of Washington’s football team is racist. Of course it is, says Michael Tomasky.

When George Preston Marshall died in 1969, he left some money to his children but directed that the bulk of his estate be used to set up a foundation in his name. He attached, however, one firm condition: that the foundation, operating out of Washington, D.C., should not direct a single dollar toward “any purpose which supports or employs the principle of racial integration in any form.” Think about that. This was not 1929 or 1949. Even in 1960 such a diktat might have been, well, “understandable” in a Southern city such as Washington then was. But 1969; “in any form.”

This is the man who gave the Washington Redskins their name. He was one of the most despicable racists in the American sporting arena of the entire 20th century. He thought Redskins was funny, just as he thought the war paint and feather headdress he made the head coach wear were funny. And this is the legacy that current Redskins owner Dan Snyder wants to uphold?

You’ve been reading about this name lately. More and more people are calling for the team to change it. There is legislation in Congress, based on the fact that under trademark legislation passed in 1946, a corporate “mark” can’t be disparaging of a people or group. Snyder says he’ll change the name approximately never (“and you can put that in all caps”). Most Americans, and most Redskins fans, agree with him. But all that shows is that those Americans and fans don’t know the history. Snyder, presumably, does. He should be ashamed.

Marshall had made a fortune in the commercial laundry business when he purchased the Boston Braves football team in 1932. His second coach was a man whose mother was thought to be part Sioux. Not known to be—thought to be. And on that flimsy basis, Marshall changed the name, in this coach’s “honor” (even though Marshall fired him after two seasons), from Braves to Redskins. It seems telling that “Braves” was somehow not authentic enough for Marshall.

Most famously of all, Marshall was the last owner to accept a black player—fully 15 years after the ban was lifted. And his team drafted an African-American then (in 1961) only because it was forced to by the government—the then-new stadium that we call RFK Stadium today was built on Department of Interior land, which permitted the Kennedy administration to order the lessee (the team) to adhere to federal nondiscrimination policies. In other words, Marshall wasn’t merely a standard-issue racist of the time, like H.L. Mencken or countless others. He was diseased. He seethed with hatred of nonwhite people. And “Redskins” is his handiwork. Because “Braves” wasn’t quite descriptive enough.

Now, I should note: Redskin is not the equivalent of the N word, as some are saying. The N word is in a class by itself, at least in this country, and so that comparison is self-discrediting. I saw Eleanor Holmes Norton on TV the other day make it. She should stop.

However, consider this. According to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary, “Redskin” is labeled “usually offensive.” Other words to which M-W appends that description are “****,” “dago,” and “darky.” Let’s all imagine, for the sake of argument, that the journeyman coach Marshall wished to “honor” had had a mother of possible Jewish, Italian, or African descent. How long do you suppose the name Washington Kikes, Washington Dagoes, or Washington Darkies would have lasted?

Not long. But “Redskins” lasts only because white people don’t know it’s offensive and don’t particularly care to stop and think about how and why it might be. They don’t know that it refers to the scalps (and skulls and corpses) of Native Americans, butchered by bounty hunters and delivered by the wagon-full to collect their payments from local authorities who’d authorized the kills. This recent poll that 79 percent of Americans aren’t bothered by the team’s name doesn’t impress me. All it means is that 79 percent of Americans need a history lesson.

I was never offended by the name of the Washington Redskins - until I read this article. I had no idea the team was so-named by such an evil, racist bastard. Now, I despise the name and strongly advocate that it be changed.

You despise the name because of the views of its founder?

What's your opinion of Planned Parenthood?

If the Redskins were bought by a Chinese guy and renamed "Yellowskins" you f*ckers wouldn't say a thing.

See, the real problem with the NFL is that owners and local governments screw the local areas by raising taxes for new Stadiums. Why does that asshole Jerry Jones need Tax Money to build a stadium (1.2 Billion Dollars) that will host only 8 games, 9 if they have a playoff game, 10 if the have home field advantage. (when was the last time THAT happened?)

All that so "fans" get the "privilege" of buying an overpriced jersey?

But go ahead and argue about stupid sh*t like that.

If the Redskins were bought by a Chinese guy and renamed "Yellowskins" you f*ckers wouldn't say a thing.

See, the real problem with the NFL is that owners and local governments screw the local areas by raising taxes for new Stadiums. Why does that asshole Jerry Jones need Tax Money to build a stadium (1.2 Billion Dollars) that will host only 8 games, 9 if they have a playoff game, 10 if the have home field advantage. (when was the last time THAT happened?)

All that so "fans" get the "privilege" of buying an overpriced jersey?

But go ahead and argue about stupid sh*t like that.

The mayor of chicago told the owner of da Bears, no, when he threatened to move the team. And that was at least 10 years ago.

locals never get their money back from stadiums

1370042310269.cached.jpg

Excellent point. Let's see if the OP answers this.

dear gawd save us from these idiots..

they just can't leave anything that the majority of people like, ALONE...I can't stand these people

and of course this is from some site that calls itself, the daily BEAST..

Last edited:
1370042310269.cached.jpg

Many have perfected a technique that works amazingly well with respect to the fact that you occupy a place on the planet, and I suggest you do the same with the Redskins.....

...If you find them objectionable, ignore 'em.

some people have miserable lives and just have to make everyone's miserable too..

They are racists because they use the term Redskin, but you are not even though you use the same term.

Interesting.

The profile on the helmet looks to be a brave strong warrior. Wow, wouldn't want the historic nature of my ancestors being portrayed in that manner!

How do you feel about The fighting irish being a short leprechaun?

No comment? Didn't think so.

1370042310269.cached.jpg

Planned Parenthood? Is that a racist name? I assume you're talking about Margaret Sanger, who founded the American Birth Control League in 1921, which in 1942 became part of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America.

Planned Parenthood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Planned Parenthood? Is that a racist name? I assume you're talking about Margaret Sanger, who founded the American Birth Control League in 1921, which in 1942 became part of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America.

Yes.

What are your thoughts on that organization founded by a racist?

Yes.

What are your thoughts on that organization founded by a racist?

Why are you trying to compare apples and oranges? No one is advocating that the Washington Redskins (founded by a racist) be terminated - just change the name and the team lives on.

There are probably many current organizations with racist roots - including the United States of America.

Forum List

Back