The Republican war on the Poor

JimH52

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2007
US
The Republicans' War on Food Stamps | Politics News | Rolling Stone

The House's deep slash to the food-stamp program, combined with outlandish restrictions, arose from various impulses. There was, obviously, the long-standing animus within the Republican Party toward poor people, and that's been substantially intensified as a result of the transformation of the party, whose center of gravity has moved south and west.

Moreover, a minority of the party in the House, backed by powerful and wealthy outside interest groups, has seized the reins by throwing terror into the ranks that if they don't conform to the Tea Party's agenda, they could face defeat in a primary challenge from the right in the next election. Bob Dole's and George McGovern's time is long gone. Neither the Senate, nor the House, nor American politics are anything like they were in their time. The Republican Party in the Senate contains no Jacob Javits, the late New York senator who fought to protect food stamps. Among the Democrats, there's no Edward Kennedy to champion the causes of the poor, to even enjoy doing battle for them.

One of the few unabashed liberals, Tom Harkin of Iowa, is retiring after five terms. Harkin was born into modest means, which he has never forgotten – he needed no lectures about bootstraps.

Women, Hispanics, the Poor....Where will the GOP go next with its never ending battle with anyone who is not a wealthy, white male?

Fine. Republicans are evil and enjoy watching kids starve in the streets. Got it.

Nobody is stopping you from buying poor people clothes and food and distributing them. You did do that, right? You went down to Wal-Mart and bought a cart full of non-perishable foods and a couple winter coats for kids and took them to one of the distribution centers, right? You volunteered your time at a soup kitchen, right?

the left has a frikken war going on every damn in life

just pathetic people they can't just speak normal, they have to have the DRAMATICS

horrible people for trying to keep people stirred up in this country

You see who are the DIVIDERS in this country

rolling stone should have a war declared against them and blow themselves up, they are Worthless

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: 007
Oh my... the right SURELY doesn't want to get in the way of THIS...

ATT00045_zps69095ab7.jpg

Fine. Republicans are evil and enjoy watching kids starve in the streets. Got it.

Nobody is stopping you from buying poor people clothes and food and distributing them. You did do that, right? You went down to Wal-Mart and bought a cart full of non-perishable foods and a couple winter coats for kids and took them to one of the distribution centers, right? You volunteered your time at a soup kitchen, right?

You kidding? He's the one knocking 12 year-olds out of line so he can jump in front of them

the left has a frikken war going on every damn in life

just pathetic people they can't just speak normal, they have to have the DRAMATICS

horrible people for trying to keep people stirred up in this country

You see who are the DIVIDERS in this country

rolling stone should have a war declared against them and blow themselves up, they are Worthless

Yes, I officially award that OP Three 'Fainting Couches'

3.Fainting.jpg
3.Fainting.jpg
3.Fainting.jpg

The alarming stupidity of people like the OP.
The ability to critically think is simply hammered by their inability to get beyond idealism.

Just a simple fact, although I am of course wasting my time...to the OP..the progressive/liberal social programs of the late 1960's - 1980's has done so much incredible harm to America's poor and minorities that to still support these same policies shows a clear handicap of the mind.
You have to either be young and stupid or in the dark of your parents basement to believe that Republicans have hurt poor people more than Democrats.

All I have seen, including a couple Neg Reps, is insults. Can someone defend the huge cuts in food stamps to the poor, the aged, and children?

We just want to help out with the Sasquatch's War on Obesity.... :eek:

All I have seen, including a couple Neg Reps, is insults. Can someone defend the huge cuts in food stamps to the poor, the aged, and children?

that's all it deserves and that you and rolling stone are scumbags...

you people on the left are pathetic people

how low can you crawl? take this thread to see how low

All the social programs proposed or in place beg the question: At whose expense?
Why are some entitled to the earnings of others?
There are charities and foundations to help the poor, as it should be.

no wonder our country is so divided and politics is so partisan. when you have the left claiming that anything you don't agree with them on is a "war" against X, you will never have peace.

the idiot rhetoric of war this and war that has to end.

Only a couple??!!??

Come on people, you're slipping

Maybe you should be asking that of the politicians who made it a temporary increase in the 2009 stimulus bill. Ask them why they put an expiration date on it.

no wonder our country is so divided and politics is so partisan. when you have the left claiming that anything you don't agree with them on is a "war" against X, you will never have peace.

the idiot rhetoric of war this and war that has to end.

I propose we have a War on War Rhetoric. Like the War on Poverty, War on Drugs, and War on Obesity, victory is only a few days and an untold number of tax dollars away.

Forum List

Back