The rule of law is supposed to protect the innocent.

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
Yet it's been perverted to where it protects the guilty. Mirandizing a terrorist who we KNOW is a terrorist and was caught in the act.

I understand it's a tricky situation but those are my feeling on it.

Why do you hate the Constitution? As a U.S. citizen, he has a "right" to a fair trial. Timothy McVeigh had a fair trial.

Yet it's been perverted to where it protects the guilty. Mirandizing a terrorist who we KNOW is a terrorist and was caught in the act.

"How do you know she's a witch?"

Seriously, you're getting the cart before the horse. If we 'KNOW' a person is a terrorist, then it shouldn't be hard to prove in court.

I think some of you have seen too many Dirty Harry movies. Due process protects the innocent and is crucial to a free and fair society.

I know terrorism is scary, but let's not shit ourselves and throw away our Constitution as a response.

• Banned

Seriously, you're getting the cart before the horse. If we 'KNOW' a person is a terrorist, then it shouldn't be hard to prove in court.

I think some of you have seen too many Dirty Harry movies. Due process protects the innocent and is crucial to a free and fair society.

I know terrorism is scary, but let's not shit ourselves and throw away our Constitution as a response.

Does the constitution apply to foreign enemies?

Why do you hate the Constitution? As a U.S. citizen, he has a "right" to a fair trial. Timothy McVeigh had a fair trial.

I think he gave up his rights as an American when he violated the right to live of other Americans.

Absolutely. And once we've proven that he did, in fact, do what he's been accused of, his rights are non-existent.

Do you understand what due process is all about?

Of course, why wouldn't it?

(begging the question of who you are defining as a 'foreign enemy')

The rule of law is designed to ensure justice, to prevent the tyranny of the majority, and afford criminal defendants due process rights, as one is innocent until proven guilty.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is a criminal defendant, innocent until proven guilty, and entitled to his due process rights.

There’s nothing ‘tricky’ about it at all.

A few problems. If the police always acted honestly and to the letter of the law then things like Miranda would not be needed, but there are some that do not.

Miranda is not there to protect the guilty, it is there to protect the innocent. Not everyone the police arrest are guilty. Miranda came about because cops beat the crap out and basically tortured people, mentally, until they confessed to things they never did.

In reality what does Miranda warning do? It tells a person their rights, first to not talk and second that they can have a lawyer present. What in either of those do you find a problem?

BTW, the ACLU and most, but not all, lawyers agree that he can be interrogated without Miranda on a very focused questioning.

Last edited:

I think he gave up his rights as an American when he violated the right to live of other Americans.

Absolutely. And once we've proven that he did, in fact, do what he's been accused of, his rights are non-existent.

He used up due process when he fired hundres of rounds AT THE POLICE and when he was throwing and placing bombs.

I believe he should have his day in court AFTER he is HARSHLY interrogated. The safety of other Americans who could be targets of plots he is privy too is far more important than any right he has left.

Imo of course

The rule of law is designed to ensure justice, to prevent the tyranny of the majority, and afford criminal defendants due process rights, as one is innocent until proven guilty.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is a criminal defendant, innocent until proven guilty, and entitled to his due process rights.

There’s nothing ‘tricky’ about it at all.

What due process do those on the receiving end of a Hellfire missile receive? Especially Americans?

You will never get picked for jury duty. We are all innocent until convicted.

It applies to naturalized citizens and resident aliens, yes.

"Aliens are not more parties to the laws, than they are parties to the Constitution; yet it will not be disputed, that as they owe on one hand, a temporary obedience, they are entitled in return, to their protection and advantage."
-- James Madison; from 'Report on the Alien and Sedition Acts'

He used up due process when he fired hundres of rounds AT THE POLICE and when he was throwing and placing bombs.

I believe he should have his day in court AFTER he is HARSHLY interrogated. The safety of other Americans who could be targets of plots he is privy too is far more important than any right he has left.

Imo of course

C'mon, man. Get past whatever mental block is preventing you from actually thinking this through. Don't you realize how backassward that is? The whole point is that you can't just assume someone is guilty - you have to prove it. Otherwise every single one of us is subject to 'harsh interrogation' (aka torture). If we throw that requirement out, then we are truly fucked.

I will never be picked because im a convicted criminal.

I will never be picked because im a convicted criminal.

And you were innocent until convicted. Or agreed to a plea bargain.

Grampa,

I can understand your frustration at this.

There is part of me that wants to see him drawn and quartered and then fed to the pigs.

But that is not what we do here.

I have had others argue that the Constitution is not a suicide pact.

That is when I ask, Where do we draw the line? Who, Which American Citizens, are afforded the protections of the Constitution.

I do want you to notice that I specify "American Citizens". I don't believe that those who are here illegally, entered the country illegally, are to be afforded the protections of the Constitution or the right and privileges of those who are here legally.

Just as you treat an invited guest into your home differently than you treat someone who broke into your home.

Forum List

Back