🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The salary you need to afford a house (Map)

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
This is interesting..

homecost.jpg

this is fake BS.,,, I live in missouri and make barely a fraction of that and afforded 3 houses,,,
Perhaps it is the amount someone needs to be earning now to buy a house. And of course it's simply a generalization.
that all depends on the house and who youre buying it from,,,

I bought one house for 20K and paid cash making less than 10K a yr,,,
I bought another for 500 making about the same,,

sorry but things like this are very misleading and meant to sow division in the class's and give government more power,,

Is this a back door attempt to justify an increase in the minimum wage? If so, it ain't gonna work. If you want to buy a house then you better be able to get a job that pays better than m-wage. It is not everyone else's responsibility to make sure anyone can afford a house.

It's a generalization not a conspiracy theory.

To see how much income you needed in every state to afford a home, we first took the median home value in each state from Zillow. We then took that number to determine how much it would take per month to afford that home.

We took into account insurance costs, the average property tax in each state, assumed the average person would pay a 10% down payment and a 30 year mortgage at a present day rate of 3.97%. Therefore, if interests rates increased, the cost to own a home in each state would go up.

We then took the monthly cost, multiplied by 12 and divided by 1/3 to get the minimum income you would need to afford the home.

Income Needed to Afford the Average Home in Every State - The Cost Guys

Is that the income needed for both spouse and spousette?
No. At least it's not for Iowa or parts of Missouri. We do have houses than cost $200 grand plus sure... But where I'm from if you pay a house payment or rent with a comma in it we think you are crazy.

Edit: This also goes back to Cost of Living that I keep bringing up when people want to talk about raising the minimum wage to 15 dollars an hour across the board no matter where you live.

No. At least it's not for Iowa or parts of Missouri. We do have houses than cost $200 grand plus sure... But where I'm from if you pay a house payment or rent with a comma in it we think you are crazy.

The average house payment in Missouri is $1.254.

The average monthly mortgage payment by state, city, and year
Average or Mean?

Edit: Actually... It doesn't matter. I don't live in a CITY. I will never live in a CITY like you very likely see it. Give me a town any day of the week.

500 a month will get you a damn nice place. It says that IOWA is at $1,234... Might be right... Hell I don't know... I still think this it's absolutely crazy to do... It's not worth it. Live at least two miles outside of city limits... Pay the gas to drive into work. You people are nuts.

Last edited:

The average house payment in Missouri is $1.254.

The average monthly mortgage payment by state, city, and year
Average or Mean?

I didn't study the information but it says average.

I didn't study the information but it says average.
I did... It's average.

So most people in Missouri have a house payment with a comma in it.
Most people live in cities then. I think those people are crazy to think it's worth it. It's why I like to say "where I'm from" and not just the state. I make mistakes sometimes though.

I imagine house payments in more rural areas are on the lower side.

Forum List

Back