🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The Science Is In, Fox News Is A Security Blanket

Same tired bullshit we have seen and heard for years. People trying to dress up and pass off talking points in order to make themselves look intelligent.
This isn't where I go to 'look intelligent'. My job does that. The hope here is that with enough cajoling, right wingers will take it upon themselves to open up to some new information - not the same tired old simpleminded dictums that inevitably lead to misconceptions and false conclusions.

I'm sure the cons on this forum will disagree, disregard and disavow.

The Science Of Fox News: Why Its Viewers Are The Most Misinformed
The author could have saved a lot of time and money just by coming to this forum and reading most of the conservatives posts. I lost respect for the vast majority of conservatives after coming to this site. I had no idea so many of them were this misinformed, fearful, gullible, and ignorant.
LOL, so true.

Same tired bullshit we have seen and heard for years. People trying to dress up and pass off talking points in order to make themselves look intelligent.
This isn't where I go to 'look intelligent'. My job does that. The hope here is that with enough cajoling, right wingers will take it upon themselves to open up to some new information - not the same tired old simpleminded dictums that inevitably lead to misconceptions and false conclusions.
Look up the term cognitive dissonance. Conservatives will do anything to avoid suffering from it which gives them an allergy to truth.

Your so called new information is from October of 2014 it's as irrelevant now as it was then. That said enjoy it's simpleminded dictums and false conclusions.

LOL, the article cites the author of a book that started out trying to prove premise that "Republicans reject reality" and then goes on to complain about confirmation bias, talk about some thick, delicious irony sprinkled with a heaping, helping of JUNK SCIENCE.

Your so called new information is from October of 2014 it's as irrelevant now as it was then. That said enjoy it's simpleminded dictums and false conclusions.
2014 is irrelevant? What, has Fox News suddenly started reporting with integrity?

While I agree with this analysis, the same can be said to be true of just about any media source tied to the CFR. If anyone wants to make this a partisan issue, they are being obtuse.

See Chomsky's "Manufacturing Consent," or Bernay's "Propaganda."

“The mass media serve as a system for communicating messages and symbols to the general populace. It is their function to amuse, entertain, and inform, and to inculcate individuals with the values, beliefs, and codes of behavior that will integrate them into the institutional structures of the larger society. In a world of concentrated wealth and major conflicts of class interest, to fulfil this role requires systematic propaganda.”
Noam Chomsky, Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media

In Propaganda (1928), Bernays argued that the manipulation of public opinion was a necessary part of democracy:[17]

The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. ...We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of. This is a logical result of the way in which our democratic society is organized. Vast numbers of human beings must cooperate in this manner if they are to live together as a smoothly functioning society. ...In almost every act of our daily lives, whether in the sphere of politics or business, in our social conduct or our ethical thinking, we are dominated by the relatively small number of persons...who understand the mental processes and social patterns of the masses. It is they who pull the wires which control the public mind.
Edward Bernays - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mark-twain-quote-newspapers-uninfomred-misinformed.jpg

2014 is irrelevant? What, has Fox News suddenly started reporting with integrity?

About the same time the Daily Kook did?

LOL, the article cites the author of a book that started out trying to prove premise that "Republicans reject reality" and then goes on to complain about confirmation bias, talk about some thick, delicious irony sprinkled with a heaping, helping of JUNK SCIENCE.
Here's the best critical review of the book. It's not glowing but even while critical it's generally positive.

Chris Mooney wrote The Republican Brain from a liberal perspective, geared toward other liberal readers. The majority of the book confirms opinions that many scientifically-minded liberals hold about conservative bias and adds the latest in psychological research to explain why the dissemination of facts has become highly polarized in this country. To summarize:

1. Republicans distort facts for their benefit far more often than Democrats--global warming and history are cited most in this book, although Mooney uses a wide variety of examples.

2. There are known psychological reasons for these differences including development and use of different parts of the brain. These differences go on to influence personality, friends, career path, and even which states people move to. The most interesting study is the "smart idiot" effect, which means that politically knowledgeable conservatives are often more biased and less persuadable than ignorant conservatives or liberals (i.e., conservatives engage in motivated reasoning).

3. The liberal/conservative divide has widened over the past few decades not only because of the conservative revolution of the 1970s-80s, but also because of the growth of cable news and the Internet. The new sources allow conservatives to have easy access to like-minded thinkers and a wide array of "experts" to back up their erroneous claims and create a new reality that conforms to their worldview.

Overall, Mooney does an good job addressing the above points, and the book is well worth the read for anyone interested in the partisan divide. However, the book still left me disappointed and I found myself rushing through the detailed study with Dr. Everett Young, which should have contained less statistics and more analysis. As Mooney explains in the prelude, his previous book, The Republican War on Science, was highly popular among liberals but did nothing to change conservative opinions. The reason of course is the inherent propensity in conservatives to predispose of any information that contradicts their deeply held beliefs. But any liberal who has attempted to debate a conservative already knows this: facts, logic, and scientific reasoning always fail in such discussions. Mooney's writing style is geared toward liberals and he admits that conservatives will not buy his arguments--although at least now he knows why!

I was hoping for more advice on how liberals should address and debate conservatives considering the advances in psychology. Mooney offers a few tidbits, mostly in the conclusion. To address the problems with rewriting history, liberals need to leave the debunking to the experts and instead tell their own stories about historical figures that are accurate, interesting, and emphasize liberal values. He also elaborates on a political point that has been discussed among liberals in recent years--it is pointless to try and compromise with conservatives (especially Obama vs Congress). Liberals need to "be more conservative" not in their political views, but by acquiring some of the positive traits of conservatives such as unity, loyalty, and shared purpose. This theme is similar to the "pep talk" that Mooney has given to scientists in the past and it applies to any advocacy group looking for influence.

Based on the recent advances in liberal vs. conservative psychology, there is a book to be written about how liberals should address and debate conservatives. From the Republican Brain, we now know why conservatives refuse to accept certain facts, but what is now needed it a detailed guide for how liberals should go about changing conservative falsehoods and winning arguments.

I hesitate to give this book only 3/5 stars, but this book has some repetition, loses focus at times in the second half, and has some undeveloped ideas. Other authors such as Malcolm Gladwell and recently Charles Duhigg are better at grasping the applications of psychological studies. But considering that Mooney only worked on this book for a year, he is well on his way to becoming an expert on the liberal vs. conservative divide.

I like the way you take your left wing talking points from your left wing sites and parrot them without question it really says all that needs to be said. Have a nice day Polly.

While I agree with this analysis, the same can be said to be true of just about any media source tied to the CFR. If anyone wants to make this a partisan issue, they are being obtuse.

“The mass media serve as a system for communicating messages and symbols to the general populace. It is their function to amuse, entertain, and inform, and to inculcate individuals with the values, beliefs, and codes of behavior that will integrate them into the institutional structures of the larger society. In a world of concentrated wealth and major conflicts of class interest, to fulfil this role requires systematic propaganda.”

In Propaganda (1928), Bernays argued that the manipulation of public opinion was a necessary part of democracy:[17]

The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. ...We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of. This is a logical result of the way in which our democratic society is organized. Vast numbers of human beings must cooperate in this manner if they are to live together as a smoothly functioning society. ...In almost every act of our daily lives, whether in the sphere of politics or business, in our social conduct or our ethical thinking, we are dominated by the relatively small number of persons...who understand the mental processes and social patterns of the masses. It is they who pull the wires which control the public mind.

Excellent response.

You have to admit that Fox doesnt even try to disguise its lies and misinformation. The liberal site (MSNBC) is obviously liberal but at least they do report the truth.

I like the way you take your left wing talking points from your left wing sites and parrot them without question it really says all that needs to be said. Have a nice day Polly.
You have a nice day too. Enjoy your Faux Noise buffet.

why would somebody create disinformation about misinformation?

I have been waiting for right thread to use this pic I will never find a better one.
image.jpeg

I think the liberals pay more attention to Fox News than most people i know. In fact i would even bet they watch it more than i do.

I think the liberals pay more attention to Fox News than most people i know. In fact i would even bet they watch it more than i do.
I watch Fox and MSNBC at least once a month. I got lucky during the last election and saw Karl Rove almost have a heart attack over Fox calling the election for Obama. :laugh:

Forum List

Back