The Sunset Argument about individuals losing their tax cuts

And there's a whole lot of people in that boat with us. And those are the people who WILL get a tax cut. Depending on what your definition of middle class is, we're talking about the majority of tax filers.

Interesting I asked a republican poster to calculate the tax of an average long island resident, based on the median income, house value, taxes etc, and he came up with an increase of $76 dollars.

Why will democrats raise taxes on the poor in a few years? Should they go ahead with an extention NOW, and take that issue off the table for future elections?

::lmao:

Love him or hate him, Trump is turning the democrats into prison bitches.

The worthless GOP finally figures out how to play dirty like the communist democrats have been doing for decades.

Moron, how did it work out for Reagan when he raised taxes....
Did he get re-elected? Yes or No?

You're making a stupid argument......but, expected from an idiot....LOL

ACA is still here and not going away, the Hawk: just the way it is.

Not to start a fight Jake, but if the young and healthy people are not forced to buy health insurance to avoid the tax penalty then they ain't going to buy the insurance at all, just like always. Which means the only people left under ObamaCare will be those who are subsidized or pay out more in claims than they pay in. IOW, it'll become even more unsustainable than it already has become. So how do you figure the ACA is not going away?
No need to quarrel. The law means that catastrophic insurance will come back. That means that those who use it will privatize the profit for themselves but socialize the long-term risk on the entire population. Eventually, when the Dems come back, they will change the Senate rules for a 50 vote + VP and ram home a single payer system, incorporating ACA, Medicaid, and Medicare. Inevitable.

The only way I can see to pay for a single payer system is through a VAT tax on consumption. A very big VAT tax like most European countries pay. It will NOT be popular.

Based on that comment, you don't even understand my argument or how the sunset is a huge kick in the DNC pussy.

:lmao:

Let me give you a hint.

Future GOP talking point when the sunset approaches: "The Democrats will raise taxes on the poor."

What they mean is that Dems will not extend the middle-class tax cuts. People will be used to the extra money and afraid to lose it. Built-in freebee issue for the GOP to beat the shit out of the DNC for at least 3 election cycles, if they can get it extended once (is my rough estimate is correct).

Based on that comment, you don't even understand my argument or how the sunset is a huge kick in the DNC pussy.

Let me give you a hint.

Future GOP talking point when the sunset approaches: "The Democrats will raise taxes on the poor."

What they mean is that Dems will not extend the middle-class tax cuts. People will be used to the extra money and afraid to lose it. Built-in freebee issue for the GOP to beat the shit out of the DNC for at least 3 election cycles, if they can get it extended once (is my rough estimate is correct).

Don't know if you were responding to me, but yeah the Dems certainly will extend the middle class tax cuts. What they won't do is extend the cuts at the top rates. Just like the 2003 Bush tax cuts were extended for everybody except the rich guys.

Don't know if you were responding to me, but yeah the Dems certainly will extend the middle class tax cuts. What they won't do is extend the cuts at the top rates. Just like the 2003 Bush tax cuts were extended for everybody except the rich guys.
Which gives all sorts of leverage to the GOP. They don't have to agree to anything.

OR.....future DEM talking point will be....
"The GOP screwed you by giving 83% of the 2017 tax cuts to their rich donors....
We will ACTUALLY lower the middle class rate for people making less than $200 K per family.......AND RAISE the tax rate on corporations who have been screwing you for the last 8 years....."

How's THAT counter argument to voters...????.

The GOP screwed you by giving 83% of the 2017 tax cuts to their rich donors....
We will ACTUALLY lower the middle class rate for people making less than $200 K per family.......AND RAISE the tax rate on corporations who have been screwing you for the last 8 years....."

How's THAT counter argument to voters...????.
"Blah blah BLAH..The dems are flapping those lips but they intend to raise your taxes if elected. Don't let them do it."

So many people just don't understand the power of soundbite emotional appeal arguments.

"The GOP only gave you a percentage of the square root of Y minus 80%...(snoring)

V.

"They will raise your taxes. Babies will starve!"

So many people just don't understand the power of soundbite emotional appeal arguments.

"The GOP only gave you a percentage of the square root of Y minus 80%...(snoring)

V.

Trump said this tax cut would cost him and his friends a fortune.

Adding his characteristic "Believe me" after saying it.

V.

Trump said this tax cut would cost him and his friends a fortune.

Adding his characteristic "Believe me" after saying it.

"Trump benefitted from the last tax cut. His effective tax rate minus Y to the 20th power, minus the gross net.....(snoring). Vote for Democrats."

V.

"Babies will die."

If it does not work "we" are in trouble. The last 8 years method does not work. We may find out this country is too far gone. 30 year dumb-down takes its toll. RW will say I told ya so.....

I don't like 2.9% last minute upper bracket cut. Seems?....well I'm not in that bracket.

Why did they need to slip that in? They had corporate rate at 20%

Anwar was to get the AK vote, Murcowsky. More lard. Why do you have to bribe?
You see the Anwar project as lard??? Seriously??

I'm guessing you don't know what the Anwar project is, or you wouldn't have said something that stupid.
Of course it is pork. What does requiring the federal government to sell land leases in Alaska so energy companies can drill for oil have to do with taxes? #PorkCity
So, now that you have demonstrated that you don't even understand the definition of political pork, I'm guessing you would be best served by moving on to another subject.

The obstructionist commiecrats refused to do so, republicans couldn't do it by themselves under reconciliation because of senate rules.

That’s not true, there were plenty of Dems that tried to work with the republicans on this bill and they got frozen out. This could have been a bipartisan bill but it probably wouldn’t have gotten done by years end and it wouldn’t have included all the Republican pork. So they did it their way and continued the districtive practice of majority rules law making. It’s not how congress was designed to function
Sorry ---- there were none.

There were some who paid lip service to it ... but none who were sincerely interested in tax cuts.
Joe Manchin was one and claimed he could bring a dozen more
Take another look --- Manchin rallied some on-the-fence Democrats to vote against the bill. He talked a good game, but never came to play.

Democrats once seen as potential yes votes on tax cuts appear to walk away
Your right but he did that after meeting with Trump and being told he would have a seat at the table and then he worked up pages of ideas and got shut out by the republicans. After that he was a definite no, all the Dems were, the Reps were not interested in working with them it was a conscious choice
... and this happened, WHEN?

Tax cuts are good. My question is why are the middle class tax cuts not DOUBLE of what they are in the bill? Make the cuts really good. The bigger the cuts middle class gets the better for the nation. Yet they are minimal.
We go back to the same issue .... Democrat objection to any tax cuts.

Because they couldn't muster 60 votes, they were forced to stay within the $1.5 trillion deficit cap. Nobody seriously believes this (Republicans think it won't be that high, Democrats think it will be much higher). But, because the rule exists, they were forced to structure the tax levels in order to stay under that cap. Had the cap not existed, they probably would have gone with Trump's original proposal (25% highest, 7% lowest, 4 tax brackets).

So - the short answer is: you can thank Democratic intransigence, and their desire for everybody to pay more taxes.

The middle class will take it on the chin...welcome to america. Do not argue this you can't.
Well, hell, considering the amount of disinformation (or pure ignorance) you have attempted to pedal, we certainly wouldn't argue with you.

The Left has got to stop using the Sunset argument to attack the new Tax bill. There are plenty of areas to attack regarding the bill but this one is a losing argument. I hear democratic congressmen using this talking point in every interview and all it takes is asking them the question, "Would you vote to repeal the individual tax cuts in 7 years?" Of course they aren't going to say yes. We know that Republicans aren't going to repeal them and I seriously doubt that dems would either. It would be political suicide.

For those of you who don't know what the sunset argument is... It is the talking point that the Corporate cuts are permanent and the individual tax cuts are temporary, up for a renewal vote after 7 years. Dems are playing the scenario that after 7 years, if the tax cuts aren't renewed by congress, then everybody's taxes will go up. I'm saying right now that is not realistic, nobody is not going to vote to renew, it is a losing argument. Move on to the next one!

Sorry, but you may be 100% wrong on this......and here's why.....

With this tax scam we have opened ourselves up for EXTORTION......Sure, no GOPers will come out for extending the tax cuts for the middle class.....

BUT, they WILL come out with the "rationale" that to extend those tax cuts, we MUST cut Medicare,Medicaid and deny any raises on SS payments.

Basically Paul Ryan' wet dream coming true.

Shit, ss increases will be cut due to the new chained CPI index they included. Which by the way people should do some studying. Seems if the gdp doesn't grow like they think they will take from these programs to pay for tax cuts.
Funny ... you didn't complain when they tied the calculation for military retirement COLA to the chained CPI index. Guess it only is wrong when it hurts you, huh?

Forum List

Back