The Tax Cut Myth

I'm just confused why people can say that spending should be cut, and then turn around and support the Republicans, who have no real interest in cutting spending whatsoever. If they did, they wouldn't have to hide the Iraq spending off budget.

Looking at the budget they just came up with - Dems want to outdo the Republicans in spending. They do make up for it with a $400 billion tax hike

It's the slowest growth in years, and no intelligent person can look at that and say you want 0.6% growth.

and the projection shows moderate growth for the rest of the year. I am sure you just "overlooked" that part

You want tax reform? End federal withholding and make people write a check in April. We'll have tax reform so fast it'll make your head spin.

I want a flat tax that would REPLACE payroll taxes. One tax that would replace Federal withholding, SS, and Medicare taxes.

Once the falt tax is put into law - those taxes are repealed at the same time

Looking at the budget they just came up with - Dems want to outdo the Republicans in spending. They do make up for it with a $400 billion tax hike

One thing I'm always confused about is that you claim that cutting taxes is responsible for increasing our tax revenues. That is, we are having higher revenues because we cut taxes. But then you issue statements like this:

Remember the Dems have voted for a $400 billion tax increase

Could you explain something to me. How does returning taxes to Clinton era levels cause a $400 billion tax increase, but a decrease in revenue. If people are paying $400 billion more in taxes, it would seem to me that the government would be taking in about $400 billion dollars extra in revenue. That would be an increase in revenue, not a decrease. So do you think that there's repealing the tax cuts would result in an increase or decrease in revenues? Pick a side, we're at war! :shock:

I want a flat tax that would REPLACE payroll taxes. One tax that would replace Federal withholding, SS, and Medicare taxes.

Are you for increasing taxes on the middle class? Given a fixed amount of revenue we would have to take in to balance a budget, a flat tax would only shift the burden of this repayment more towards the lower and middle class, effectively raising taxes on the lower and middle class compared to a graduated tax system.

One thing I'm always confused about is that you claim that cutting taxes is responsible for increasing our tax revenues. That is, we are having higher revenues because we cut taxes. But then you issue statements like this:

Could you explain something to me. How does returning taxes to Clinton era levels cause a $400 billion tax increase, but a decrease in revenue. If people are paying $400 billion more in taxes, it would seem to me that the government would be taking in about $400 billion dollars extra in revenue. That would be an increase in revenue, not a decrease. So do you think that there's repealing the tax cuts would result in an increase or decrease in revenues? Pick a side, we're at war! :shock:

Are you for increasing taxes on the middle class? Given a fixed amount of revenue we would have to take in to balance a budget, a flat tax would only shift the burden of this repayment more towards the lower and middle class, effectively raising taxes on the lower and middle class compared to a graduated tax system.

Dems are increasing taxes not only on the middle class but also on retired folks as well

Dems are out to fuck everyone who pays taxes - nobody will be left out

Tax cuts encourage people to invest and take risk. It also lets them keep more of their money they earn

When you cut taxes, it causes economic growth, which causes more activity, which generates more taxes

In the last five years since the Bush tax cuts, reve nues to the government have been going up year after year

Revenue Collections Hit Record in April
Thursday May 10, 5:55 pm ET
By Martin Crutsinger, AP Economics Writer
Revenue Collections Hit Record High in April, Improve Budget Deficit

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Federal revenue collections hit an all-time high in April, contributing to a further improvement in the budget deficit for the year.
Releasing its monthly budget report, the Treasury Department said Thursday that through the first seven months of this budget year, the deficit totals $80.8 billion, significantly below the $184.1 billion imbalance run up during the first seven months of the 2006 budget year.

So far this year, tax revenues total $1.505 trillion, an increase of 11.2 percent over the same period last year. That figure includes $383.6 billion collected in April, the largest monthly tax collection on record.
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070510/federal_budget.html

Dems are increasing taxes not only on the middle class but also on retired folks as well

Dems are out to fuck everyone who pays taxes - nobody will be left out

Tax cuts encourage people to invest and take risk. It also lets them keep more of their money they earn

When you cut taxes, it causes economic growth, which causes more activity, which generates more taxes

In the last five years since the Bush tax cuts, reve nues to the government have been going up year after year

All you've done is post talking points without any support, and you're trying to turn away for the question. Answer the question. Are you saying that if the Democrats increase taxes, we will or won't have a $400 billion tax increase? If this tax increase results in an extra $400 billion in revenue, then how will that decrease revenue.

All you've done is post talking points without any support, and you're trying to turn away for the question. Answer the question. Are you saying that if the Democrats increase taxes, we will or won't have a $400 billion tax increase? If this tax increase results in an extra $400 billion in revenue, then how will that decrease revenue.

With the huge tax increases Dems want - the economy will tank faster then the Dems approval numbers

I have posted facts - not talking points

The last time a Dem openly admitted he wanted more of the people money was Mondale in 1984. He said he was going to raise taxes. Pres Regan won his reelection with 49 states

I do hope the Dems keep telling how they need MORE money for their spending plans

With the huge tax increases Dems want - the economy will tank faster then the Dems approval numbers

I have posted facts - not talking points

The last time a Dem openly admitted he wanted more of the people money was Mondale in 1984. He said he was going to raise taxes. Pres Regan won his reelection with 49 states

I do hope the Dems keep telling how they need MORE money for their spending plans

You seem to not know what a fact his. Here are several examples:

1. This is not a Dem vs. Rep thing. This is an issue of policy, not finger pointing at political sides.
2. You have again refused to answer the question. Instead of focusing on policy you have reverted to politics.

I am beginning to wonder if you can't answer any question beyond the scope of a Newsmax article.

You seem to not know what a fact his. Here are several examples:

1. This is not a Dem vs. Rep thing. This is an issue of policy, not finger pointing at political sides.
2. You have again refused to answer the question. Instead of focusing on policy you have reverted to politics.

I am beginning to wonder if you can't answer any question beyond the scope of a Newsmax article.

Taxes have always been a political thing

Dems want to raise them - Republicans want to cut them

What questions have I not answered? If you don't like the answers I give that is your problem

Since the top 25% of wage earners pay about 85% of all Federal Income taxes - how much MORE do you want them to pay?

What questions have I not answered? If you don't like the answers I give that is your problem

Since the top 25% of wage earners pay about 85% of all Federal Income taxes - how much MORE do you want them to pay?

Describe how a $400 million tax increase in revenue represents a loss in revenue. That's what you haven't done.

The top 25% of earners pay 85% of Federal Income taxes because they earn a lot more than the bottom 75%. Our wealth distribution is very unequal. Even at a flat tax rate, someone who earns $100,000 a year will pay 10 times more in taxes than someone who earns $10,000 a year.

Taxes have always been a political thing

Dems want to raise them - Republicans want to cut them

How about 85% of the cost of the war?

Seems fair to me since the majority of them voted for Bush.

So they should pay for the war.

How about 85% of the cost of the war?

Seems fair to me since the majority of them voted for Bush.

So they should pay for the war.

Libs never want to answer the question

How much more in taxes do you want the producers to pay?

The top 50% of wage earners are paying 96% of all federal income taxes

Libs never want to answer the question

How much more in taxes do you want the producers to pay?

The top 50% of wage earners are paying 96% of all federal income taxes

If the war costs $500,000,000,000, I want them to pay $480,000,000,000 because I don't think its fair that their children should pay the $1,273,000,000,000 its going to cost them a generation from now.

Oh, let me rephrase, since I'm in the top 25% or 50% or 10% or whatever number you want to toss around, I want us to pay that amount.

If the war costs $500,000,000,000, I want them to pay $480,000,000,000 because I don't think its fair that their children should pay the $1,273,000,000,000 its going to cost them a generation from now.

So why should people without kids have to pay for public schools? I do not think that is fair

Why should I have to pay for someone elses retirement and health care? I really do not think that is fair

Also, one point the left is ignoring - people are paying MORE in taxes today after the Bush tax cuts - they are making more money because of the growing economy

So why should people without kids have to pay for public schools? I do not think that is fair

Why should I have to pay for someone elses retirement and health care? I really do not think that is fair

I'm not saying that you should never cut taxes. I'm not saying you should pick and choose which policies you should support with your taxes, an argument Rush Limbaugh agrees with BTW.

I am saying that if you have a Big-Government, Big-Spending Republican Party in power, they shouldn't be a Big-Deficit Government either. Because then they become the Big-Tax-Increases-on-your-Children Party.

The Republican Party has become the party of fiscal irresponsibility.

I'm not saying that you should never cut taxes. I'm not saying you should pick and choose which policies you should support with your taxes, an argument Rush Limbaugh agrees with BTW.

I am saying that if you have a Big-Government, Big-Spending Republican Party in power, they shouldn't be a Big-Deficit Government either. Because then they become the Big-Tax-Increases-on-your-Children Party.

The Republican Party has become the party of fiscal irresponsibility.

The deficit has been dropping for the last four years

Yes, it has. That is what you would expect in a cyclical recovery.

and for five years we have been told how the increasing revenues was about to end, and how the economy was about to tank

The way things are going can you say Dow 14,000 soon?

If that is what you want, you are supporting the wrong party. That will NEVER happen with Republicans in charge. EVER.

Forum List

Back