The Union Army's odd infatuation with a criminal they hanged

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
It's kind of strange that a current U.S. quarter depicting the U.S. Arsenal at Harper's Ferry would feature a single incident of anarchy rather than the years of the manufacture of weapons in the early industrial revolution. If you are interested in weapons manufacture and the early industrial revolution and visit the U.S. Park, be prepared to be lectured about the failed John Brown raid and slavery rather than the Armory's history. Brown was widely recognized as insane at the time of his anarchy and failed murder spree and the Union Army justifiably hanged him for his crimes. The strange thing is that after he was hanged Brown became a hero in the eyes of the media and the same Union Army that hanged him. The Union used the John Brown (enhanced and faked?) legacy as a recruiting tool and a morale booster during the Civil War. The current U.S. Government apparently sees Brown's insanity as a heroic act in retrospect even after he was hanged for crimes including the murder of half a dozen citizens of Harper's Ferry including the mayor.. Here we are in the 21st century tearing down historic monuments to Confederate generals while crafting a coin to commemerte the life of a murderer and anarchist who was hanged.

It's kind of strange that a current U.S. quarter depicting the U.S. Arsenal at Harper's Ferry would feature a single incident of anarchy rather than the years of the manufacture of weapons in the early industrial revolution. If you are interested in weapons manufacture and the early industrial revolution and visit the U.S. Park, be prepared to be lectured about the failed John Brown raid and slavery rather than the Armory's history. Brown was widely recognized as insane at the time of his anarchy and failed murder spree and the Union Army justifiably hanged him for his crimes. The strange thing is that after he was hanged Brown became a hero in the eyes of the media and the same Union Army that hanged him. The Union used the John Brown (enhanced and faked?) legacy as a recruiting tool and a morale booster during the Civil War. The current U.S. Government apparently sees Brown's insanity as a heroic act in retrospect even after he was hanged for crimes including the murder of half a dozen citizens of Harper's Ferry including the mayor.. Here we are in the 21st century tearing down historic monuments to Confederate generals while crafting a coin to commemerte the life of a murderer and anarchist who was hanged.
What was John Browns motive?

Some idiotic members of the far and alt rights are threatening armed revolts. Idjits.

1e9xyo.jpg

i-john-brown.jpg

Who told you Brown was insane and why did you believe them? J. Brown is the only white guy I know that was truly down.

Does a motive justify murder? The Union hanged him.

Ending slavery. Sure sign of insanity for a white man.

The US hanged him. That was before the civil war.

Say, blackflag, I was wondering, at what point did you anti-fascists have to start provoking fascists or "fascists"?
Sober up a bit and try to reform that into a coherent question

You antifa types claim historical connection with anti-fascists of the past.

I've been watching some vides of antifa in operation, and one of their prime activities is to be extremely provocative, in order to try to incite violent response, often followed up with demands for the person to be arrested or fired.

My admittedly limited historical knowledge of Nazi Germany or Fascist Italy, was that such tactics were not necessary to get fascists to commit the most horrible and violent assaults on people.

SO, I'm just wondering, if you know, at what point in time did you "anti-fascists" have to start working hard to provoke violence from the "fascists" you face.

Say, blackflag, I was wondering, at what point did you anti-fascists have to start provoking fascists or "fascists"?

I've been watching some vides of antifa in operation, and one of their prime activities is to be extremely provocative, in order to try to incite violent response, often followed up with demands for the person to be arrested or fired.

My admittedly limited historical knowledge of Nazi Germany or Fascist Italy, was that such tactics were not necessary to get fascists to commit the most horrible and violent assaults on people.

SO, I'm just wondering, if you know, at what point in time did you "anti-fascists" have to start working hard to provoke violence from the "fascists" you face.
Antifa is a tiny group. I don't know much about them, other than that they make you shake with impotent rage. So kudos to them.

Antifa is a tiny group. I don't know much about them, other than that they make you shake with impotent rage. So kudos to them.

Oh, I thought I had seen posts from you identifying to some extent with them.

Too bad. It's a fascinating evolution.

No. The state of Virginia hung him.

Virginia v. John Brown - Wikipedia

Does the end justify the means? The mid 19th century federal government said no... but maybe if you can make a propaganda issue out of it.

US Marines did capture him however. Under the command of the great American Robert E Lee.

Forum List

Back