The way law enforcement handled this

On one hand you say shutting down the entire city was "totalitarian and nonsensical" and then in the very next sentence you say it is a miracle that no civilians were killed today. ARE YOU AN IDIOT!

Do you think that shutting down the City may have been one reason no other civilians were injured?:doubt:
You might not be old enough to remember Willie Sutton who, during the 1940s and early '50s, was Public Enemy Number One. He was a notorious bank robber whose gang was known to be armed with machine guns.

One afternoon in February, 1952, I was sitting with my brother and his girl friend on the front stoop of her family's home at 211 Sixth Avenue, in Brooklyn, NY. A police car drove past slowly, turned the corner and parked. Not long after that a black 1950 Ford with four civilians inside parked right across the street. One of the uniformed cops got out of the police car, walked over to us and told us to go someplace else because something was about to happen.

We went upstairs to the girl's third floor apartment and looked through the blinds as the four men got out of the Ford. Three went into the apartment building diagonally across the street, one remained standing in the doorway. The two uniformed cops in the police car pulled up right behind the Ford and parked.

It turned out the four men in the Ford were detectives. About ten minutes after they entered the building they came out leading a handcuffed man in a white shirt, placed him in the Ford and they all took off. Everything happened smoothly and uneventfully.

Later that evening we learned that the man who had been living quietly across the street from my brother's girlfriend for several years was Willie Sutton. Someone had recognized him from a picture in the newspaper, took the plate number from the car he was driving and called the police who followed it up.

The point I'm making is the capture of this serious desperado was effected by four NYPD detectives with two (redundant) uniformed cops for backup (which probably pissed off the FBI). Today I have no doubt there would have been no less than a hundred cops in full military combat apparatus, armored cars, fire engines, ambulances, at least one helicopter, and more flashing lights than Las Vegas on New Years Eve.

Last edited:
The authorities had every right to lock down the site. The authorities, in the name of safety and welfare of the community, are well within their legal rights. Any court in the country will hold that they had the authority. And yes, locking down the area probably did save lives.

They had every right?

Please point out exactly what part of the Massachusetts gives the government any rights. I will make it easier for you, here is the link.

Constitution of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Its been four days and not one more civilian has been killed since the initial bombs went off.

Surely, even the rw's have to admit that the various law enforcement agencies handled this correctly.

Congrats to them and, I have to say, having my kid and grand kids living in Cambridge, right in the middle of all that makes me even more grateful for the way they handled this.

Once the hysteria dissolves, there will be ructions .
The FBI made countless errors from the pre explosion period onwards and the final scenes were beyond comedy .
America has taken a huge beating and now you have the position of much of the Moslem world openly laughing , and others like me staring unbelieving at the greatest comedy team on the planet .

Actually the handling of this situation was a complete embarrassment. Shutting down the city of Boston was totalitarian and nonsensical, not to mention the fact that he somehow got away from authorities early in the morning when his brother was killed and was at large for the rest of the day. Simply put, it's a miracle that no civilians were killed today, and no thanks to law enforcement at any level.

Well, I think they did a MUCH better job than with the Chris Dorner case.

Not one innocent was hurt by the Police or Friendly Forces.
I rather have people in their homes safely than out and about, being shot at.

Bravo, BPD!

That's a sad commentary in and of itself, that we judge success by whether or not the police attacked innocent civilians.

Actually the handling of this situation was a complete embarrassment. Shutting down the city of Boston was totalitarian and nonsensical, not to mention the fact that he somehow got away from authorities early in the morning when his brother was killed and was at large for the rest of the day. Simply put, it's a miracle that no civilians were killed today, and no thanks to law enforcement at any level.

On one hand you say shutting down the entire city was "totalitarian and nonsensical" and then in the very next sentence you say it is a miracle that no civilians were killed today. ARE YOU AN IDIOT!

Do you think that shutting down the City may have been one reason no other civilians were injured?:doubt:
Well given that Watertown or Cambridge are not in the city, it was not one reason that no others were injured.

Get a map, get a book, cure your retardation!!

Paul, you have proven yourself to be clueless to both the left and the right. Taking a position opposite of yours is usually the correct stance. No doubt, you are one of the refugees from the exodus after the November election.

Boston was never shut down.

The authorities had every right to lock down the site. The authorities, in the name of safety and welfare of the community, are well within their legal rights. Any court in the country will hold that they had the authority. And yes, locking down the area probably did save lives.

They had every right?

Please point out exactly what part of the Massachusetts gives the government any rights. I will make it easier for you, here is the link.

Constitution of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts

To show you what an idiot you are, the Rutherford Institute agrees with you. Any community in the country has the legal right to require of its citizens, even extraordinary precautions such as this, to protect the safety and welfare of the community at large,

If a government can Zone your property and tell you what you can do with your property, the government can certainly tell you to take all steps necessary for your protection. There is not a court in the land that would not agree with the law enforcement officials in taking the measures they did. The guy would have car jacked at least one more time, if the community had not been locked down. Then you would have ended up with a mass murderer on the interstate and on the run.

Oh, you'll have to forgive me. Everyone confined to their homes, or stuck at work, most businesses in the city shut down, schools and universities closed, and all public transportation halted had me confused.

No, actually, I don't. It's like Quantum said before, the only reason no civilians were killed is because the killers chose not to kill them. Locking down the city left everybody isolated in their homes. Would have been pretty easy to break in to a few, kill whoever was inside, and lay low for a little while.

Oh, you'll have to forgive me. Everyone confined to their homes, or stuck at work, most businesses in the city shut down, schools and universities closed, and all public transportation halted had me confused.

I heard many reports that Dunkin Doughnuts were open.:eusa_whistle:

No, actually, I don't. It's like Quantum said before, the only reason no civilians were killed is because the killers chose not to kill them. Locking down the city left everybody isolated in their homes. Would have been pretty easy to break in to a few, kill whoever was inside, and lay low for a little while.

I heard the same, that's why I said most.

I heard the same, that's why I said most.

I had no problem with what you were saying, just found it ironic that on a day that only the police were to be out, the cliche of police in a doughnut shop.......

Just sayin

It wasn't shut down because the police specifically requested that Dunkin Donuts remain open.

I would add a joke about cops and donuts, but I really can't think of one that even begins to approach this.

I am planning a full post on that soon. We need to make people understand that the government does not have the authority to tell people to stay home.

Oh Boy! What forum will it be in? What time will you post? I wouldn't want to miss it!

I LOVED that line.

Really. I actually LOL'd at that.

Maybe they'll set up a new forum - just for THAT post!!

Well given that Watertown or Cambridge are not in the city, it was not one reason that no others were injured.

Get a map, get a book, cure your retardation!!

Obviously, you've never been there.

Idiot.

Its been four days and not one more civilian has been killed since the initial bombs went off.

Surely, even the rw's have to admit that the various law enforcement agencies handled this correctly.

Congrats to them and, I have to say, having my kid and grand kids living in Cambridge, right in the middle of all that makes me even more grateful for the way they handled this.

All of the law enforcement people I have met online have been Republicans or Independents. Just because Obama is in office, it doesn't make them Democrats. So stop trying to garner points for your pathetic messiah.

I am planning a full post on that soon. We need to make people understand that the government does not have the authority to tell people to stay home.

I am thinking that the declaration of martial law does not come from the police. The governor, maybe. Not the police. It seems odd to me that in all that time, no one had a heart attack, or a baby, or had to call for some kind of emergency help. I am pretty sure they all stayed home so they wouldn't get shot.

Last edited:

I am thinking that the declaration of martial law does not come from the police. The governor, maybe. Not the police. It seems odd to me that in all that time, no one had a heart attack, or a baby, or had to call for some kind of emergency help. I am pretty sure they all stayed home so they wouldn't get shot.

Did I say police?

MAybe the governor was worried that all the cops would start randomly shooting people like they did in LA while they were looking for Dorner.

Did I say police?

MAybe the governor was worried that all the cops would start randomly shooting people like they did in LA while they were looking for Dorner.

Scusie, I don't recall who told them to stay home. I was thinking it came from the police, but those days were work days for me, so I wasn't hot wired into my TV.

Stories from the 40s are interesting and have nothing at to do with this incident. And of course, we all love that every single brainless rw is an expert on law enforcement but so far, not one of seems to have any real knowledge. Just your usual mindless hate.

Why don't some of you read about WHY the donut shops were left open. Go ahead. Its just a few facts so it won't hurt you.

I actually came to this thread to make one more observation - the various agencies appear to have worked together. I hope that's portent of a change in attitude among them because, rw's notwithstanding, it really is easier if we work together.

All of the law enforcement people I have met online have been Republicans or Independents. Just because Obama is in office, it doesn't make them Democrats. So stop trying to garner points for your pathetic messiah.

I have to disagree with you.

I firmly believe that rw voters can do their job.

Really. It DOES happen.

Forum List

Back