There HAS to be life on other planets..

But that’s my point, why do WE have to understand how life was created for it to happen elsewhere? The fact that it did happen here means it could have just as easily happened elsewhere. Right?
To understand definitely yes. Either that or we find life elsewhere.

If we can't create life ourselves or find life elsewhere then we have no basis to say life exist outside of earth. "It just gotta be" is the only thing we have.

For all we know the earth is unique. Until we get another data point we have nothing.

We think that life may be common because it happen here. However, since we don't know how life is created or have found life elsewhere then we have no idea how common or rare it is. The first video I posted discussed that fallacy very well.

The creation of life in a lab would be a good thing because then we would then understand the conditions that need to happen and look for other places where the conditions exist.

Find evidence of microbial life on Mars or any place else in the solar system would also answer the question.

We are not there yet.

If we can't create life ourselves or find life elsewhere then we have no basis to say life exist outside of earth.
Why? Why can't we use the knowledge we have about how life complexified and evolved here as our basis?

I've been arguing for quite some time now, that life and intelligence is built into the fabric of matter/energy and that given the right conditions and enough time, beings that know and create will eventually arise.

Here's a great discussion on the subject.

Why? Why can't we use the knowledge we have about how life complexified and evolved here as our basis?

I've been arguing for quite some time now, that life and intelligence is built into the fabric of matter/energy and that given the right conditions and enough time, beings that know and create will eventually arise.

Here's a great discussion on the subject.

If we can't create life ourselves or if we don't find life elsewhere then we have nothing but speculation that it exist elsewhere.

We know for a fact that life is not created from just a few chemicals, water and the right temperature. If that was the case then we would have created life in the lab several decades ago.

We need to find out how complex life is before we can speculate on how common it is elsewhere.

By the way, turning chemistry into biology is nothing we can find in Nature (or in the lab) on earth except for the fact it happen four billion years ago on earth and took off a half billion years ago.

If we can't create life ourselves or if we don't find life elsewhere then we have nothing but speculation that it exist elsewhere.
Wrong.

First, "creating it ourselves" is utterly irrelevant.

Second, mountains of theoretical and circumstantial evidence is not "just speculation"

We know for a fact that life is not created from just a few chemicals, water and the right temperature. If that was the case then we would have created life in the lab several decades ago.

We need to find out how complex life is before we can speculate on how common it is elsewhere.

By the way, turning chemistry into biology is nothing we can find in Nature (or in the lab) on earth except for the fact it happen four billion years ago on earth and took off a half billion years ago.
It's extremely complex and I'm not certain we can ever know. But what we do know is that this universe (i.e. the laws of nature and the structure of matter/energy) is tuned to produce life and intelligence and we are proof of that.

It's extremely complex and I'm not certain we can ever know. But what we do know is that this universe (i.e. the laws of nature and the structure of matter/energy) is tuned to produce life and intelligence and we are proof of that.
Nah, the objects and the life that form in this universe are tuned to this universe.

We don't know if it is tuned or not. In fact just the opposite may be true. Wherever we look in the Universe it seems to be hostile to life.

It happen here on earth due to some complex factors but we have no idea if those factors ever existed elsewhere. If the Universe is finite then there will be unique things in it.

The elements for life may be common. In fact we pretty well know they are. Carbon molecules, water, energy, etc. However, be do not know how all these thing come together and what other factors have to be present like radiation or lack of radiation. One thing we do know is that there needs to be a stable sun for any life to exist. The great majority of the stars in the Universe are not as near as stable as our sun.

We have a lot more to learn before we jump to any conclusion or intelligent scientific hypothesis about life elsewhere.

Personally I hope we do find life. That would be cool. Evidence that God created an even more wondrous Universe than any of us could imagine. Let me sign up for the Green Orion chicks.

We kinda do. Did you read the link I provided earlier? Because it's all detailed out there.
Everywhere we look in the Universe we see water, carbon, energy, even O2 and other things that we know we need for life as we know it. That is not in dispute.

What we do know is that having those elements do not turn Chemistry into Biology. The process is far more complex than just mixing up a few ingredients.

We also know that the Universe is a very dangerous place for life. Tremendous radiation, unbelievable temperatures on both end of the scale, volatility and other toxic elements present. For instance, we know that the soil on Mars is very toxic to earth life forms. We know that the great majority of the stars are not stable like our own. We know that the Universe is full of life killing energy burst that we have been very lucky to avoid. Not to mention planet destroying impacts with other bodies.

The Universe as we know it is not very friendly to life as we know it.

My post #11 states otherwise ... I've conceded intelligent life may well be to far ... but then again, we are dealing with an number of planets available ... the odds can't be zero, or humans wouldn't be here either ...
All based on the evolution lie.

even if thsg were true, it doesn’t mean evolved the way we did. This may sound absurd, but what if some other planet evolved to breath methane instead of air and drink sulfuric acid as opposed to water. Sure, that statement is “out there”, but it all boils down to the conditions present and how life evolved and adapted.
Methane isn't an oxidizer and sulfuric acid is deadly to organic matter. Certain conditions must be met for even the simplest life to survive. The methane lakes of Titian cannot support life because it does not have the unique properties of water. Just any liquid will no do.

To understand definitely yes. Either that or we find life elsewhere.

If we can't create life ourselves or find life elsewhere then we have no basis to say life exist outside of earth. "It just gotta be" is the only thing we have.

For all we know the earth is unique. Until we get another data point we have nothing.

We think that life may be common because it happen here. However, since we don't know how life is created or have found life elsewhere then we have no idea how common or rare it is. The first video I posted discussed that fallacy very well.

The creation of life in a lab would be a good thing because then we would then understand the conditions that need to happen and look for other places where the conditions exist.

Find evidence of microbial life on Mars or any place else in the solar system would also answer the question.

We are not there yet.

Sure, we’ll never “know” if life does exist elsewhere, I agree with that.

Could be that we are unique and sure we need more data to “know” for sure, but do you not agree with the sheer size and age of our universe, and the number of other galaxies, solar systems, and planet, that there is no way many more didn’t develop to sustain intelligent life?

Methane isn't an oxidizer and sulfuric acid is deadly to organic matter. Certain conditions must be met for even the simplest life to survive. The methane lakes of Titian cannot support life because it does not have the unique properties of water. Just any liquid will no do.
Sure, in OUR observable universe. My point was that, perhaps in another galaxy 2 trillion light years away, another planet evolved and adapted to different circumstances which allowed them to survive using different elements.

Sure, in OUR observable universe. My point was that, perhaps in another galaxy 2 trillion light years away, another planet evolved and adapted to different circumstances which allowed them to survive using different elements.
No, elements and molecules have the same properties everywhere.

Too cold, and chemical reactions won't take place. Too hot, and the materials needed for life break down. Too much radiation and these element break down. The entire universe adheres to these laws

Everywhere we look in the Universe we see water, carbon, energy, even O2 and other things that we know we need for life as we know it. That is not in dispute.

What we do know is that having those elements do not turn Chemistry into Biology. The process is far more complex than just mixing up a few ingredients.

We also know that the Universe is a very dangerous place for life. Tremendous radiation, unbelievable temperatures on both end of the scale, volatility and other toxic elements present. For instance, we know that the soil on Mars is very toxic to earth life forms. We know that the great majority of the stars are not stable like our own. We know that the Universe is full of life killing energy burst that we have been very lucky to avoid. Not to mention planet destroying impacts with other bodies.

The Universe as we know it is not very friendly to life as we know it.
I agree, yet it is tuned for life which doesn't mean life will be everywhere.

Forum List

Back