There's several Arab comedians working in today's comedy world.

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
There's several Arab comedians working in today's comedy world.

By DON DAHLER, DINA ZINGARO AND SUVRO BANERJI CBS NEWS August 1, 2015, 8:47 PM
Arab-American comedian breaks down stereotypes
WASHINGTON -- Comedian Mohammed, or "Mo," Amer likes to say he "ticks all the hot boxes" of today's news topics. His name is a dead giveaway to audiences that they're about to get a different perspective.

"Have you or anyone you know been involved with or given funds to any terrorist organizations, Mr. Mohammed?" Amer said to start one of his stand-up routines in Washington, D.C. "I didn't mess around with that question. I said absolutely not. Who says yes? Please tell me one person that says yes. Is this an effective method of capturing terrorists worldwide?!" The crowd burst into applause.

mo-amer-performs-in-washington-dc-on-may-2015-credit-mo-amer.jpg

Mo Amer performing in Washington D.C. in May 2015.
MO AMER

Amer is Muslim, a Kuwaiti-born Palestinian-American. His story began in Kuwait, where was born to Palestinian parents. At the age of 9, Amer and his family had to escape as political refugees during the first Gulf War, and they ended up being in Houston. The transition wasn't what he expected.

"There was a cultural, societal gap," Amer said. "I didn't know how to acclimate. I was here during like a week before Halloween. Freaked me out! I was like, 'Why is everybody dressed this way? What is happening in America today!'"

mo-amer-childhood-photo-credit-mo-amer.jpg

A childhood photo of Mo Amer
MO AMER

Amer discovered stand-up comedy at the age of 14 at a Texas rodeo where now-controversial comedian Bill Cosby was headlining. Almost 20 years later, Amer became the first Arab-American to star in his own nationally televised one-hour stand-up special, "Legally Homeless." The show is inspired by his travels without a passport.

Continue reading at:
Arab-American comedian breaks down stereotypes - CBS News?

Forum List

Back