They don't make Republican consevatives like they used to

These guys would be drummed out of the GOP is they said things like this today.

Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them."
Barry Goldwater

One can't doubt that the American objective in Iraq has failed - different plans have to be made. And the kernal here is the acknowlegement of defeat.
William F Buckley

Freedom is an indivisible word. If we want to enjoy it, and fight for it, we must be prepared to extend it to everyone, whether they are rich or poor, whether they agree with us or not, no matter what their race or the color of their skin
Wendell Willkie

The difference between the GOP and the Democratic Parties right now is that there is room for a difference of opinion on the Republican side whereas moderates have simply vanished from the Democratic side of the political landscape over the last two election cycles. The only moderate Democrat left might be Joe Manchin. Eisenhower, Goldwater, Buckley and Wilkie's opinion would all be heard today just like they were heard years ago. Who's the voice of moderation in the Democratic Party, Toxic?
This thread is not about the differences between the GOP and the DNC today, it's about the differences between the party of Lincoln and the modern Tea Party infested GOP.

The GOP used to have moderates prior to 1990, and prior to 1970 even had liberals. People like N. Rockefeller, Shafer, Percy, Hatfield, W. Rockefeller, and even Eisenhower was viewed as a liberal by Goldwater and his bunch.

The DNC hasn't actually shifted to the left, they've shifted to the center. They just look far away to you.

How can you possibly say that the DNC has shifted to the center, Toxic? Name the Democratic "moderates".
Look at people like Mary Landrew, and all of the Blue Dog Democrats, that's a relatively new thing, compared to the GOP which dumped off all it's moderates after the CRA in 64

Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them."
Barry Goldwater

One can't doubt that the American objective in Iraq has failed - different plans have to be made. And the kernal here is the acknowlegement of defeat.
William F Buckley

Freedom is an indivisible word. If we want to enjoy it, and fight for it, we must be prepared to extend it to everyone, whether they are rich or poor, whether they agree with us or not, no matter what their race or the color of their skin
Wendell Willkie

They don't make Republicans or Republican conservatives any more. They don't have Republican values and they aren't conservative, they are RINOs who have no clue about what any terminology means.
They're all either evangelicals, or they pander to them

I'm an agnostic...not an evangelical. Nobody is trying to run me out of the Republican Party.
I didn't say anyone is running you off, I said they are pandering to evangelicals

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Barry Goldwater

William F Buckley

Wendell Willkie

The difference between the GOP and the Democratic Parties right now is that there is room for a difference of opinion on the Republican side whereas moderates have simply vanished from the Democratic side of the political landscape over the last two election cycles. The only moderate Democrat left might be Joe Manchin. Eisenhower, Goldwater, Buckley and Wilkie's opinion would all be heard today just like they were heard years ago. Who's the voice of moderation in the Democratic Party, Toxic?
This thread is not about the differences between the GOP and the DNC today, it's about the differences between the party of Lincoln and the modern Tea Party infested GOP.

The GOP used to have moderates prior to 1990, and prior to 1970 even had liberals. People like N. Rockefeller, Shafer, Percy, Hatfield, W. Rockefeller, and even Eisenhower was viewed as a liberal by Goldwater and his bunch.

The DNC hasn't actually shifted to the left, they've shifted to the center. They just look far away to you.

How can you possibly say that the DNC has shifted to the center, Toxic? Name the Democratic "moderates".

The Democrats are a coalition party. Republicans are 90% white and very extreme. When most of the rest of the country is "everyone else" and part of the Democratic Party, then the Democrats are naturally more centrist.

In fact, the last election proved it. Obama initiatives that were on the ballot, like raising the minimum wage and background checks, passed by double digits. GOP initiatives, like the personhood amendment were soundly defeated.

Ebola, Isis and slandering refugee children worked very well for the GOP. But their actual policies are extreme, unwanted and if they continue to push them, Republicans will pay a very steep price.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Barry Goldwater

William F Buckley

Wendell Willkie

Because he's a partisan hack or he wouldn't just pick out Republicans and specifically , conservatives

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Barry Goldwater

William F Buckley

Wendell Willkie

Because he's a partisan hack or he wouldn't just pick out Republicans and specifically , conservatives
Of course you didn't address my reply to him.

And you are not partisan?

Dread not, my conservative friends and foes. The second coming of the messiah, Ronald Reagan, is poised to take control come 2016. Behold,

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Barry Goldwater

William F Buckley

Wendell Willkie

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Barry Goldwater

William F Buckley

Wendell Willkie

Look at people like Mary Landrew, and all of the Blue Dog Democrats, that's a relatively new thing, compared to the GOP which dumped off all it's moderates after the CRA in 64

Seriously, Toxic? The "Blue Dogs" are all gone. Mary Landrieu is about to lose her Senate seat in the runoff.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Barry Goldwater

William F Buckley

Wendell Willkie

The Democrats are a coalition party. Republicans are 90% white and very extreme. When most of the rest of the country is "everyone else" and part of the Democratic Party, then the Democrats are naturally more centrist.

In fact, the last election proved it. Obama initiatives that were on the ballot, like raising the minimum wage and background checks, passed by double digits. GOP initiatives, like the personhood amendment were soundly defeated.

Ebola, Isis and slandering refugee children worked very well for the GOP. But their actual policies are extreme, unwanted and if they continue to push them, Republicans will pay a very steep price.

Wow, talk about self delusion...this past election was a referendum on Barack Obama's policies and the Democrats took a savage beating.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Barry Goldwater

William F Buckley

Wendell Willkie

Seriously, Toxic? The "Blue Dogs" are all gone. Mary Landrieu is about to lose her Senate seat in the runoff.
God, am I wasting my time?....the people who were called Blue Dog Democrats were replaced by Republicans!....not extremist Democrats.

Wow, talk about self delusion...this past election was a referendum on Barack Obama's policies and the Democrats took a savage beating.
Have you completely forgotten 2010?

That was a more decisive victory than 2014, and back then, Republican extremist evangelicals started showing their true colors with abortion/gay marriage/contraception legislation popping up everywhere, along with 50 some attempts to repeal the Affordable Healthcare Act. They paid for that in 2012, after idiots Like Rove and Limbaugh predicted Romney by a landslide.

If you guys keep it up, Hillary will be the next president.

The GOP needs to stop acting like some losing team that got it's first win in months, and come up with some good legislation for Obama to sign or veto

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Barry Goldwater

William F Buckley

Wendell Willkie

God, am I wasting my time?....the people who were called Blue Dog Democrats were replaced by Republicans!....not extremist Democrats.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Barry Goldwater

William F Buckley

Wendell Willkie

They lost to moderate Republicans because they voted to support Barack Obama's agenda. The Blue Dogs don't exist anymore. The Democratic Party is made up of urban liberals. The remaining Democrats are farther left then ever before. Among the Senate’s most moderate Democrats, two lost their seats on Tuesday: Mark Pryor of Arkansas and Kay Hagan of North Carolina. Two more appear likely to lose once the counting is over, Mark Begich of Alaska and Mary Landrieu of Louisiana. Another, Max Baucus of Montana, retired.

They lost to moderate Republicans because they voted to support Barack Obama's agenda. The Blue Dogs don't exist anymore. The Democratic Party is made up of urban liberals. The remaining Democrats are farther left then ever before. Among the Senate’s most moderate Democrats, two lost their seats on Tuesday: Mark Pryor of Arkansas and Kay Hagan of North Carolina. Two more appear likely to lose once the counting is over, Mark Begich of Alaska and Mary Landrieu of Louisiana. Another, Max Baucus of Montana, retired.
The Blue Dog Democrats that lost to Republicans, have been replaced by other Democrats, that also need to run as far to the right as they can get, because those states are red states

The Dems retook Congress in 2006 by running moderates in red states and pulling gun control and abortion off the table. They then fucked over those same people by pushing votes on social issues like gun control and gay marriage. The radicals in the Democrat party have marginalized themselves through this, making themselves again the party of fruits and nuts. ANyone recall the Democratic National Convention in San Francisco?

It was the lowest voter turnout since 1942. Seems neither side has a mandate. The people just want them to work together and find a compromise to most situations.

It was the lowest voter turnout since 1942. Seems neither side has a mandate. The people just want them to work together and find a compromise to most situations.
Bullshit
It was a referendum on Obama's policies. ANd they got slaughtered. ANd not just in Congress either but in most of the state races. The reason is obvious: People are fed up with the slow growth/no growth we've seen. Most people have lower household income and net worth than they did the day Bush left office.

What is so amazing about that?
images

It's amazing that the Democrat icon said, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

Talk about a complete turnaround.

Bullshit
It was a referendum on Obama's policies. ANd they got slaughtered. ANd not just in Congress either but in most of the state races. The reason is obvious: People are fed up with the slow growth/no growth we've seen. Most people have lower household income and net worth than they did the day Bush left office.

In 2014 voter turnout was an abysmal 36.3%. Compared to 59.3% in 2012. If they don't work together, nothing will get done. Well except by EO and those are so limited in scope it's almost like nothing.

What is so amazing about that?
images

It's amazing that the Democrat icon said, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

Talk about a complete turnaround.
JFK was a Democrat. He would certainly sound more like Sarah Palin than Obama today. Asking not for your country's handouts is now absolutely anathema to Democrats.

Bullshit

In 2014 voter turnout was an abysmal 36.3%. Compared to 59.3% in 2012. If they don't work together, nothing will get done. Well except by EO and those are so limited in scope it's almost like nothing.
Lots of people stayed home. They stayed home because, I suspect, they wouldnt vote GOP but they damn sure wont vote Democrat again. Curious what happened to the black vote and the youth vote.

Forum List

Back