Thies: D.C. Government Doesn't Pay a "Living Wage"

Freewill

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2011
Watta know the government once again stepping in to be the defacto Union. FORCING companies to pay wages they don't pay themselves.

Thies: D.C. Government Doesn't Pay a "Living Wage" | NBC4 Washington

“People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.”

Someone needs to carve those words onto a wall in the D.C. Council legislative chamber.

Last week, the Council approved a measure that would require Walmart and other large retailers doing business in the District to pay a “living wage” of $12.50 per hour.

But… uh oh. Hypocrisy alert.

District government pays less than $12.50 per hour.

According to the D.C. Department of Human Resources, some full-time school maintenance workers and custodians make $11.75 per hour. The rate for a clerk at the University of the District of Columbia is $10.40.

I briefly addressed this in this comment. Thanks for the source!

D.C. Council Member Defends Living Wage Bill | Fox Business Video

"The day before, the D.C. City Council voted 8-5 to set a $12.50 living wage for employees of "big box" stores .."

I see hypocrisy here. When the council member admits the City doesn't pay it's own staff a 'living wage' even though the council member also states that the D.C. budget has a $400M surplus.

Walmart would have brought 2000 jobs immediately, while DC has a plan to hire 50,000 over the next decade.

It's all about tax base. I don't know if DC elected Council members get paid....oh wait, just found it:

D.C. Council salaries are second-highest among big U.S. cities

For years, the six-figure salaries of D.C. Council members have been a point of contention because the positions are considered part-time and members are allowed to hold other jobs. But the Pew report, released Wednesday, is likely to renew the debate about whether council members earn their salaries: $125,583 for 12 regular members and $190,000 for Chairman Kwame R. Brown (D), $10,000 less than the mayor receives.

I briefly addressed this in this comment. Thanks for the source!

D.C. Council Member Defends Living Wage Bill | Fox Business Video

"The day before, the D.C. City Council voted 8-5 to set a $12.50 living wage for employees of "big box" stores .."

I see hypocrisy here. When the council member admits the City doesn't pay it's own staff a 'living wage' even though the council member also states that the D.C. budget has a $400M surplus.

Walmart would have brought 2000 jobs immediately, while DC has a plan to hire 50,000 over the next decade.

It's all about tax base. I don't know if DC elected Council members get paid....oh wait, just found it:

D.C. Council salaries are second-highest among big U.S. cities

For years, the six-figure salaries of D.C. Council members have been a point of contention because the positions are considered part-time and members are allowed to hold other jobs. But the Pew report, released Wednesday, is likely to renew the debate about whether council members earn their salaries: $125,583 for 12 regular members and $190,000 for Chairman Kwame R. Brown (D), $10,000 less than the mayor receives.

I wonder how many low income people will be hurt by this new attempt at fairness by the lameass democrats. 6 figures to serve on council what a freakin crock of crap.

I wonder how many low income people will be hurt by this new attempt at fairness by the lameass democrats. 6 figures to serve on council what a freakin crock of crap.

All of them that are unemployed.

DC youth have iirc ^ 40% unemployment rate.

Forum List

Back