Universal Basic Income

Funny, I never mentioned any of that stuff.
Just making a joke out of your sky is falling secret organization , controlling your life. " They are hiding behind every bush. I find great humor in people that think the way you do. wouldn't want to be you , I wouldn't want to live in your scary world inside your head.

Quote from You
The ubi intertwines with the upcoming digital currency system and it will identify each person. Most people will accept.

"

UBI concept is a good idea , but when you listen to the right wing way that they want you to think it will be implemented. makes it look the way they want you to look at it and of course that is negatively. Point being there is not just one way to implement this concept it literally can be done with a 100 different scenarios 100 different monetary plans. but again it also can be done with tax law ,tax rate and just laws in general. There is only one thing that threatens capitalism in this country and that is not distributing the money into the hands of anyone but the wealthy. Which is known as supply side economics , yup trickle down lie. The only real advantage of capitalism is the promise of the potential for the workers to get ahead , that has literally been taken away totally by Reagan in 1981 and then Bush and Trump.

I have read all, or almost all, of Thomas Paine's writings. I think we have a user on this forum who has adopted Paine's name.

Thomas Paine is perhaps most well-known to Americans as being the author of Common Sense, a pamphlet which inspired every patriot to independence.

He also published a series of pamphlets under the title American Crisis. The most famous line most of us have heard from that series is, "These are the times which try men's souls."

Lesser known today, but quite famous during its time, was The Age of Reason. In this three part tome written after we gained independence, Paine completely deconstructed the Christian Bible. He ripped it to pieces.

Paine was an advocate of Deism.

The Age of Reason was a huge bestseller in the US. and led to a revival of deism here.

Not so well known today is Paine's Agrarian Justice.

Like most of our Founders, Paine believe in Natural Rights. He believed "landed property" was an inevitable violation of Natural Rights that needed to be mitigated as the poor were worse off under such a system than when humans had lived in a state of nature.

Paine's solution was for America to provide a tidy sum to every American who reached the age of 21, and to provide an annual sum to everyone who arrived at the age of 50.

The latter half is Social Security. The former is a precursor to a universal basic income, though Paine intended it to be a one time payment so the poor could buy cows or other means to support themselves.

What? Social Security proposed way back in 1797? And UBI, too?!?

It's a very fascinating piece to read, so here it is: http://www.piketty.pse.ens.fr/files/Paine1795.pdf

Just as an aside, Thomas Jefferson also felt the same about the landed class violating Natural Rights, and he proposed a progressive tax on the wealthy, with most Americans being exempt from taxation. (Editing note: I originally posted it was James Madison, but I got the recipient and the sender reversed. See letter in post 4 below. My apologies.)

Our Founders were proto-commies! :lol:

Kamala Harris proposed a universal basic income when she was a US Senator in 2018, which puts here squarely in the Liberal column.

More in my next post.
U.B.i. can work within an ambitious predominantly caucasian society.
If U.B.i. is offered in a dark society more weed gets smoked, more Modello’s get drank and the baby factories run around the clock.

What value does Universal Basic Income bring to the table? What are the cons of bringing Universal Basic Income to the table? Who pays for it?
It serves as a safety net for the poor. It would help the economy in general because it would boost consumer spending. Paying for it, as a start, would be by cuttitng our bloated defense budget. It could also replace any current welfare for the poor such as SNAP or TANF.

The most important thing about this concept is that it wouldn’t replace people having jobs. The goal of a UBI program should be alleviating poverty for anyone working 40 hours a week.

Forum List

Back