Things I have Learned from Playing MMORPGs

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
Yeah, an MMORPG is short for Massive Multiplayer Online Roll Playing Game, for example Everquest, World of Warcraft, etc.

There are things that happen within these games that are revealing as people feel like their are no consequences for what they do. They can commit all kinds of actions with no real world consequences and it shows in their behavior online.

Most people have heard of the PKers or Player Killers who amuse themselves by killing other players. In some games like Ultima Online, these are players who enjoy the idea of killing other players more than they like killing the monsters in the game.

And then there are Greifers, who love to make people feel greif in their game play. They will insult people kill them resurrect them and kill them repeatedly just to cause the players stats to erode in some games. It is a display of mentally warped thinking.

These types are well known enough even among nonplayers, but what most people dont know about are the CONSPIRACIES that go on in these games. The guilds/kinships/Clubs whatever you want to call them are leagues of players who advance themselves at everyone elses expense and so they do things like try to obtain control of critical resources that spawn in a game so they can run the price up. They even will volunteer as game refs on other servers so they can establish intra-guild refs that will give favor to each other. Seriously these guys get very deeply intertwined in alliances with relatively unknown groups of players in the quest to gain some small advantage in a GAME.

But then again, there are countless numbers of good people who play and will give you anything that you could possibly need once they know you and trust you. I dont play as much as my wife does, but the players in her guild have given me so much help in the game and we have traded ideas for game play and tactics that my toon is among the raiding elite, though I hardly ever raid any, lol.

There are people who get a kick out of kicking others in the teeth and ten times more who get a kick out of helping you up off the ground. The trick in real life is to avoid the first and find as many as you can of the latter.

Yeah, an MMORPG is short for Massive Multiplayer Online Roll Playing Game, for example Everquest, World of Warcraft, etc.

There are things that happen within these games that are revealing as people feel like their are no consequences for what they do. They can commit all kinds of actions with no real world consequences and it shows in their behavior online.

Most people have heard of the PKers or Player Killers who amuse themselves by killing other players. In some games like Ultima Online, these are players who enjoy the idea of killing other players more than they like killing the monsters in the game.

And then there are Greifers, who love to make people feel greif in their game play. They will insult people kill them resurrect them and kill them repeatedly just to cause the players stats to erode in some games. It is a display of mentally warped thinking.

These types are well known enough even among nonplayers, but what most people dont know about are the CONSPIRACIES that go on in these games. The guilds/kinships/Clubs whatever you want to call them are leagues of players who advance themselves at everyone elses expense and so they do things like try to obtain control of critical resources that spawn in a game so they can run the price up. They even will volunteer as game refs on other servers so they can establish intra-guild refs that will give favor to each other. Seriously these guys get very deeply intertwined in alliances with relatively unknown groups of players in the quest to gain some small advantage in a GAME.

But then again, there are countless numbers of good people who play and will give you anything that you could possibly need once they know you and trust you. I dont play as much as my wife does, but the players in her guild have given me so much help in the game and we have traded ideas for game play and tactics that my toon is among the raiding elite, though I hardly ever raid any, lol.

There are people who get a kick out of kicking others in the teeth and ten times more who get a kick out of helping you up off the ground. The trick in real life is to avoid the first and find as many as you can of the latter.

Retirement is getting boring?

/leave trade or /leave 2 is one of the best commands at your disposal in my opinion. As far as getting ganked/griefed goes, I've never understood why players who don't want to PvP aren't all on PvE servers. Granted, there are still some really annoying tactics that can be used on PvE servers. The most annoying is probably when people farm NPCs at quest hubs. Best to play another toon. Unless of course, you think you can take them.

Cheaters, hacks and boosters, all people who have no control or power in their real lives find that control and power over others in multiplayer games which is one of the primary reasons they do it. Some are those who are fed up with the control hacks and rationalize their own hacking as a legitimate response. What makes it pathetic is it's just a game, it's not real life.

/leave trade or /leave 2 is one of the best commands at your disposal in my opinion. As far as getting ganked/griefed goes, I've never understood why players who don't want to PvP aren't all on PvE servers. Granted, there are still some really annoying tactics that can be used on PvE servers. The most annoying is probably when people farm NPCs at quest hubs. Best to play another toon. Unless of course, you think you can take them.

I think I wish I understood one word of what you wrote, and it ain't how you wrote that got me wondering.

Cheaters, hacks and boosters, all people who have no control or power in their real lives find that control and power over others in multiplayer games which is one of the primary reasons they do it. Some are those who are fed up with the control hacks and rationalize their own hacking as a legitimate response. What makes it pathetic is it's just a game, it's not real life.

I am kinda glad it is just a game and not real life.

Unfortunately those type of control issues generally bleed over into different aspects of real life.

Most/All of my fav games are lost forever basically. No longer playable due to hacks and lifers.
Left4Dead, Halo, Older CoD etc.. are all useless to play online.
And the very reason I avoid MMPORGS... too many lifers and losers who are at Level 7 million and run around killing everyone is sight.

Most/All of my fav games are lost forever basically. No longer playable due to hacks and lifers.
And the very reason I avoid MMPORGS... too many lifers and losers who are at Level 7 million and run around killing everyone is sight.
My favorite is the old CoD Black Ops multiplayer, Most of the usual hack/lifers typically play at certain times of the day so I avoid those times though they do pop in occasionally outside of those times. The Mods clean it up from time to time but with the new fully configurable hacks these days it's not always easy to catch the smart ones, the ones who have error rates in their aim-botting, sprint speeds set to just above what the game allows but shows normal speed on replays and the fact they can turn their hacks on and off with the touch of a key. They use the hacks in two or three out of five games and allow themselves to be killed more often so their kill death ratio is normal looking so it's not as obvious as to what they are doing. The problem is you can't always determine the really good players from the hacks unless one has watched them playing over a period of time.
Most are like me, not great but not bad, really good days/games and really bad days/games. I'm just there to unwind and have fun, if I win I win, if I lose I lose, it's all part of the game.

Neverwinter only has established small areas for PVP the main game is PVE.

Yup, just as I suspected, logged onto CoD BO, played one server with a hack killing everyone then had two really good games on another server then the aim-botters showed up there also. Oh well.

My favorite is the old CoD Black Ops multiplayer, Most of the usual hack/lifers typically play at certain times of the day so I avoid those times though they do pop in occasionally outside of those times. The Mods clean it up from time to time but with the new fully configurable hacks these days it's not always easy to catch the smart ones, the ones who have error rates in their aim-botting, sprint speeds set to just above what the game allows but shows normal speed on replays and the fact they can turn their hacks on and off with the touch of a key. They use the hacks in two or three out of five games and allow themselves to be killed more often so their kill death ratio is normal looking so it's not as obvious as to what they are doing. The problem is you can't always determine the really good players from the hacks unless one has watched them playing over a period of time.
Most are like me, not great but not bad, really good days/games and really bad days/games. I'm just there to unwind and have fun, if I win I win, if I lose I lose, it's all part of the game.

Use to play the crap out of CoD zombies...Kino Der Toten, Ascension and Call of the Dead.. but alas...in come the idiots just trying to get mods...people finding glitches....etc.

Use to play the crap out of CoD zombies...Kino Der Toten, Ascension and Call of the Dead.. but alas...in come the idiots just trying to get mods...people finding glitches....etc.
I could turn in all my gains for Prestige but why? Just to have a golden gun? That's silly.

Lord of the Rings Online seems to have avoided most of the bad hacks and exploits by permanently banning anyone caught for the first offense.

It seems that is the only way to control the problem. So LOTRO has no duping, no exploiting that lasts very long and no griefers at all, period.

Unfortunately those type of control issues generally bleed over into different aspects of real life.

I think they were and are aholes with or without video games. At least video games proving it.

Lord of the Rings Online seems to have avoided most of the bad hacks and exploits by permanently banning anyone caught for the first offense.

It seems that is the only way to control the problem. So LOTRO has no duping, no exploiting that lasts very long and no griefers at all, period.
It would be so nice if some games banned IP addresses instead of accounts.

When I use to play Halo CE online (which was so awesome, there were so many user submitted maps and mods...I miss it a lot)...anyway, they had groups you could play in...you had to be invited and the games were private. Anyone cheating would be kicked out.
Is there not anything like that now?

When I use to play Halo CE online (which was so awesome, there were so many user submitted maps and mods...I miss it a lot)...anyway, they had groups you could play in...you had to be invited and the games were private. Anyone cheating would be kicked out.
Is there not anything like that now?
There are, I think. Been invited to join one group, //FB//, but haven't done so yet. Hackers tend to focus on those groups and try to hack member accounts and use those accounts to obviously hack thereby getting a non-hacker banned and giving the group a bad name. Other hackers don't hack at first, are invited, join then turn on their hacks, anything and everything to destroy the reputation of the clans and access private games. Some people just need to get a life.

Forum List

Back