This Bill Could Save Rural Governments Millions in Infrastructure Financing

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
A new proposal in Congress could make financing infrastructure projects in rural America far more affordable.

Called the Municipal Bond Market Support Act of 2019, the bill would modernize a restriction on so-called bank-qualified municipal bonds that effectively limits small governments’ access to cheaper borrowing rates in the municipal market.

The Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) estimates that the proposed bill could save as much as $1.1 million in financing costs on a 15-year, $30 million bond issued by a small government. That translates into hundreds of millions of dollars in savings each year for small governments, nonprofits and districts across the country.
This Bill Could Save Rural Governments Millions in Infrastructure Financing

No text yet.
H.R.3967 - 116th Congress (2019-2020): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to permanently modify the limitations on the deduction of interest by financial institutions which hold tax-exempt bonds, and for other purposes.

And lobbying.
MBFA Lobbies Congress to Restore Advance Refundings & Increase Bank Qualified Limits – Municipal Bonds for America

No movement on infrastructure for two years? That's crazy. What do you think?

Last edited:
I am not saying I oppose it, but I am not sure that rural communities are the real beneficiaries here except to the extent that their hospitals that may be bankrupted by obamacare might be able to save themselves awhile longer.

Forum List

Back