This is not sustainable.

berg80

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2017

Attorney General Merrick Garland fires back at House GOP contempt threat: ‘I will not be intimidated’

Attorney General Merrick Garland on Tuesday hit back at House Republicans threatening to hold him in contempt, calling their efforts part of a wave of “unprecedented and unfounded” attacks against the Department of Justice.

“I will not be intimidated,” Garland said in his testimony at the start of a hearing before the Republican-led House Judiciary Committee.

“The Justice Department will not be intimidated,” he said. “We will continue to do our jobs free from political influence. And we will not back down from defending our democracy.”

He also pushed back on the swell of conspiracy theories surrounding Thursday’s historic criminal conviction of former President Donald Trump, including the false claim that the guilty verdict by a New York state jury “was somehow controlled by the Justice Department.”

“That conspiracy theory is an attack on the judicial process itself,” Garland said.

The "this" I'm referring to in the thread title is exemplified by the contentious hearing Casper Milktoast, otherwise known as Merrick, testified at. By that I do not mean having contentious hearings is not sustainable. Rather, I refer to the polar opposite perceptions of reality each side brings to the table. House Repubs like Gym Jordan and Dems like Garland metaphorically represent the divergent perceptions of reality that exists more broadly among Trump Repubs and Dems.

Effective governance requires building a consensus between two philosophically opposed parties. A difficult task that is proving to be more and more difficult in this era of political polarization. But consensus is virtually impossible when the two parties can not agree on what is real and what is not.

Many of you reading this already know where I stand on divergent perceptions of reality like the integrity of the 2020 election result. The affect man is having on the climate. The credibility of the grand jury's decision to indict Trump in the NY election fraud case and the jury's decision to convict him. I do not wish for this thread to devolve in to a back and forth on those matters. The point of the thread is to make clear my opinion that the country simply can not survive, can not effectively govern itself, if when gazing upon an image one side sees a tree and the other a balloon.

We all have opinions as to what lead us to this point. How we got here does matter because as with governance we need to agree on what the problem is before we can solve it. The answers are vexing, nuanced, complex, and not easily reconciled. If we fail to agree on what they are, and then act to fix them, the republic will fall.

The people elect their representatives to ask the hard questions of .gov employees through oversight. Garland is merely an .gov employee and an appointed one at that.

Why do these .gov hires believe that they have any right at all not to answer questions the people, through their representatives, put to them?

Don't answer, then you are in contempt of the people who pay you.

Attorney General Merrick Garland fires back at House GOP contempt threat: ‘I will not be intimidated’

Attorney General Merrick Garland on Tuesday hit back at House Republicans threatening to hold him in contempt, calling their efforts part of a wave of “unprecedented and unfounded” attacks against the Department of Justice.

“I will not be intimidated,” Garland said in his testimony at the start of a hearing before the Republican-led House Judiciary Committee.

“The Justice Department will not be intimidated,” he said. “We will continue to do our jobs free from political influence. And we will not back down from defending our democracy.”

He also pushed back on the swell of conspiracy theories surrounding Thursday’s historic criminal conviction of former President Donald Trump, including the false claim that the guilty verdict by a New York state jury “was somehow controlled by the Justice Department.”

“That conspiracy theory is an attack on the judicial process itself,” Garland said.

The "this" I'm referring to in the thread title is exemplified by the contentious hearing Casper Milktoast, otherwise known as Merrick, testified at. By that I do not mean having contentious hearings is not sustainable. Rather, I refer to the polar opposite perceptions of reality each side brings to the table. House Repubs like Gym Jordan and Dems like Garland metaphorically represent the divergent perceptions of reality that exists more broadly among Trump Repubs and Dems.

Effective governance requires building a consensus between two philosophically opposed parties. A difficult task that is proving to be more and more difficult in this era of political polarization. But consensus is virtually impossible when the two parties can not agree on what is real and what is not.

Many of you reading this already know where I stand on divergent perceptions of reality like the integrity of the 2020 election result. The affect man is having on the climate. The credibility of the grand jury's decision to indict Trump in the NY election fraud case and the jury's decision to convict him. I do not wish for this thread to devolve in to a back and forth on those matters. The point of the thread is to make clear my opinion that the country simply can not survive, can not effectively govern itself, if when gazing upon an image one side sees a tree and the other a balloon.

We all have opinions as to what lead us to this point. How we got here does matter because as with governance we need to agree on what the problem is before we can solve it. The answers are vexing, nuanced, complex, and not easily reconciled. If we fail to agree on what they are, and then act to fix them, the republic will fall.
I think we have a lot of people who are prisoners to the moment. There was a time in this country when Black Americans had to endure a white Congress debating and fillibustering over whether or not something should be done about lynching. Whatever your problems are they probably aren't that bad. Let's not give in to political nihilism. It's going to be okay people.

We know what the problem is, weaponized law enforcement by the democrats.

I think we have a lot of people who are prisoners to the moment. There was a time in this country when Black Americans had to endure a white Congress debating and fillibustering over whether or not something should be done about lynching. Whatever your problems are they probably aren't that bad. Let's not give in to political nihilism. It's going to be okay people.
I was not speaking about legislative gridlock. To analogize, what I was speaking of would be if a large faction of Congress denied lynching ever happened.

I think it speaks for itself. He wines about intimidation of government officials, but clearly hasn't seen the kind of intimidation that occurred when SCOTUS struck Roe.
You've missed the mark. It is the basis for the intimidation of the DoJ I was focusing on, not the act of intimidation itself. Namely, the unsupported belief Trump was the victim of an unfair process.

You've missed the mark. It is the basis for the intimidation of the DoJ I was focusing on, not the act of intimidation itself. Namely, the unsupported belief Trump was the victim of an unfair process.
Ah. I see. Fair enough.

And yes, Trump was a victim. The discovery process was proof of that.

No, the DoJ did not influence the outcome.

Garland knows full well that xiden can't claim executive privilege when speaking to a prosecutor investigating him. Garland's refusal to provide the subpoenaed materials base on the false claim of executive privilege makes him the one playing politics and making things contentious, not the committee. Executive privilege is reserved for conversations between the president and his trusted advisors. Of course the commiecrats on the committee will never admit these facts.

Ah. I see. Fair enough.

And yes, Trump was a victim. The discovery process was proof of that.

No, the DoJ did not influence the outcome.
Your comment about the DoJ indicates you are far more familiar with reality in this matter than some Repub members of Congress.

The remedy for that is for their constituents to vote them out of office. The problem being their constituents are also detached from reality in many respects.

I was not speaking about legislative gridlock. To analogize, what I was speaking of would be if a large faction of Congress denied lynching ever happened.
Plenty denied it was problem that needed addressing, that seems just as bad, also, I think you're probably underestimating the extent to which white southerners deny or minimize its importance and impact.

Last edited:
We know what the problem is, weaponized law enforcement by the democrats.
That is your dear leader.

Donald Trump wants to control the Justice Department and ...​

1717591055740.png
Reuters
https://www.reuters.com › world › donald-trump-wants...

May 17, 2024 — ... Trump has called for many of his political opponents to be arrested. ... department ... Some Trump allies at Project 2025 also want to expand the ...

Trump has threatened dozens of times to use the ...​

1717591092181.png
Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington
https://www.citizensforethics.org › crew-investigations

May 22, 2024 — Trump has threatened dozens of times to use the government to target political enemies · Trump's threats to Biden range from ominous warnings to ..

Forum List

Back