This is not sustainable.

Ah. I see. Fair enough.

And yes, Trump was a victim. The discovery process was proof of that.

No, the DoJ did not influence the outcome.

So you're saying the #3 guy at DOJ suddenly resigning and joining a city level prosecution team was a coincidence? Really? That would be like Nolan Ryan leaving the majors and going to play college ball in his prime.

It's their job to ride herd on .gov employees that mess up.....You know, oversight.

Garland is no different in that respect as any other .gov employee.....The bosses (the public) have questions about this particular employee's behaviour.
But they wont ask supreme court justices to talk about their proven corruption.
All the GQP did was rehash old accusations, lies and grandstand.

That is your dear leader.

Donald Trump wants to control the Justice Department and ...

View attachment 957879
Reuters
https://www.reuters.com › world › donald-trump-wants...
May 17, 2024 — ... Trump has called for many of his political opponents to be arrested. ... department ... Some Trump allies at Project 2025 also want to expand the ...

Trump has threatened dozens of times to use the ...

View attachment 957880
Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington
https://www.citizensforethics.org › crew-investigations
May 22, 2024 — Trump has threatened dozens of times to use the government to target political enemies · Trump's threats to Biden range from ominous warnings to ..
What does all that have to do with congressional oversight on an .gov employee? :dunno:

Answer the questions put forth or be held in contempt.....pretty simple stuff.

So you're saying the #3 guy at DOJ suddenly resigning and joining a city level prosecution team was a coincidence? Really? That would be like Nolan Ryan leaving the majors and going to play college ball in his prime.

I'm saying I don't see any evidence yet. I can always change my mind about that though

What does all that have to do with congressional oversight on an .gov employee? :dunno:

Answer the questions put forth or be held in contempt.....pretty simple stuff.
WTF?

Post 20......
"We know what the problem is, weaponized law enforcement by the democrats".

Try to keep up.

Attorney General Merrick Garland fires back at House GOP contempt threat: ‘I will not be intimidated’

Attorney General Merrick Garland on Tuesday hit back at House Republicans threatening to hold him in contempt, calling their efforts part of a wave of “unprecedented and unfounded” attacks against the Department of Justice.

“I will not be intimidated,” Garland said in his testimony at the start of a hearing before the Republican-led House Judiciary Committee.

“The Justice Department will not be intimidated,” he said. “We will continue to do our jobs free from political influence. And we will not back down from defending our democracy.”

He also pushed back on the swell of conspiracy theories surrounding Thursday’s historic criminal conviction of former President Donald Trump, including the false claim that the guilty verdict by a New York state jury “was somehow controlled by the Justice Department.”

“That conspiracy theory is an attack on the judicial process itself,” Garland said.

The "this" I'm referring to in the thread title is exemplified by the contentious hearing Casper Milktoast, otherwise known as Merrick, testified at. By that I do not mean having contentious hearings is not sustainable. Rather, I refer to the polar opposite perceptions of reality each side brings to the table. House Repubs like Gym Jordan and Dems like Garland metaphorically represent the divergent perceptions of reality that exists more broadly among Trump Repubs and Dems.

Effective governance requires building a consensus between two philosophically opposed parties. A difficult task that is proving to be more and more difficult in this era of political polarization. But consensus is virtually impossible when the two parties can not agree on what is real and what is not.

Many of you reading this already know where I stand on divergent perceptions of reality like the integrity of the 2020 election result. The affect man is having on the climate. The credibility of the grand jury's decision to indict Trump in the NY election fraud case and the jury's decision to convict him. I do not wish for this thread to devolve in to a back and forth on those matters. The point of the thread is to make clear my opinion that the country simply can not survive, can not effectively govern itself, if when gazing upon an image one side sees a tree and the other a balloon.

We all have opinions as to what lead us to this point. How we got here does matter because as with governance we need to agree on what the problem is before we can solve it. The answers are vexing, nuanced, complex, and not easily reconciled. If we fail to agree on what they are, and then act to fix them, the republic will fall.

Garland should have been lead out of the hearing in handcuffs

And Garland had no idea whatsoever that Coangelo was going to NY to file charges against the former President and leading opponent in the upcoming election

This can't end nicely

What would you expect him to say before Congress?

"Well, yeah, you got me now. Me and my posse are doing our best to keep Trump off the ballot in November, or to embarrass him so badly that he has no chance to win. Sorry."

I think we have a lot of people who are prisoners to the moment. There was a time in this country when Black Americans had to endure a white Congress debating and fillibustering over whether or not something should be done about lynching. Whatever your problems are they probably aren't that bad. Let's not give in to political nihilism. It's going to be okay people.

Or Biden's Crime bill, right?

Who exactly are you talking about, actual presidential advisors?

Everyone in his administration, claimed executive privilege on their subpoenas, and their document subpoenas as well OkTex.... I repeat, every single one of them.... Even people that were advisors, like Peter Navarro, who is finally in prison right now for it...after years of litigation, trials and appeals

Most of Trump admin, didn't even bother to show up....just claimed executive privilege and didn't even show up to the hearing they were subpoenaed for...to claim the privilege.

You've missed the mark. It is the basis for the intimidation of the DoJ I was focusing on, not the act of intimidation itself. Namely, the unsupported belief Trump was the victim of an unfair process.
Unsupported belief? You have no connection to reality.

Plenty denied it was problem that needed addressing
Because racism prevented them from seeing black people as fellow human beings. That's not the same as taking a demonstrably factual event like Biden's 2020 election and turning reality on its head.

Because racism prevented them from seeing black people as fellow human beings. That's not the same as taking a demonstrably factual event like Biden's 2020 election and turning reality on its head.
It is. Black people are human beings.... right?

Colangelo leaving the DoJ and being hired by Bragg changed nothing about the overwhelming evidence on which the jury based its verdict.

What would you expect him to say before Congress?

"Well, yeah, you got me now. Me and my posse are doing our best to keep Trump off the ballot in November, or to embarrass him so badly that he has no chance to win. Sorry."
I would expect him to do as he did. Call out batshyte crazy conspiracy theories like the one you just wrote.

The point being precious time better spent solving the nation's problems is being wasted as congressional Repubs do Trump's bidding. Which is to perpetuate the lies he is basing his campaign on.

Forum List

Back