This pandemic is twice as deadly as the flu? Lets take a look. Not political.

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013

Let's just take a look at it. Don't want to make light of it. I am trying to quarantine myself too the best I can. Been in a high state of anxiety now going on 20 days or so.

I am not taking this lightly. I also think people want some relief with this rather than the constant utter beat down of our minds and mental well being.

So, take it for what it is worth. H1N1 was a lot deadlier, it would seem, to younger people btw. Still have no clue how that just went away.

Let's just take a look at it. Don't want to make light of it. I am trying to quarantine myself too the best I can. Been in a high state of anxiety now going on 20 days or so.

I am not taking this lightly. I also think people want some relief with this rather than the constant utter beat down of our minds and mental well being.

So, take it for what it is worth. H1N1 was a lot deadlier, it would seem, to younger people btw. Still have no clue how that just went away.

Benjamin Swann (born July 17, 1978) is an American television news anchor, investigative journalist, and political commentator. He became a TV sports producer, and later a news journalist and producer, and managing editor on network affiliates, FOX, and RT America of the Russian state-owned TV network RT.
This is your source, right? Not an epidemiologist but literally an anchor working for a Russian station.

Listen from about min 2. This doctor, not anchor but an actual doctor simply by going with the numbers released comes to a mortality rate of 3.5 percent, making the immediate statement saying that's probably too high considering the fact how Covid 19 can represent in a very mild form to. Compared to the flu that has a mortality of 0.1.

Now go to H1N1 that has the CDC saying this. It was estimated that 0.001–0.007% of the world’s population died of respiratory complications associated with 2009 H1N1 virus infection during the first 12 months the virus circulated (or 0.001–0.011% when cardiovascular deaths were included).
First Global Estimates of 2009 H1N1 Pandemic Mortality Released by CDC-Led Collaboration | CDC

As to where it went. It's still around only now since most people have been exposed to it there is now both a vaccine and antibodies in the general populace.

Now I have a question for you. You say that you don't take this lightly, yet I've responded to 2 OP's started by you now in which I have given you this information. I'm just wondering as to why someone who takes something serious you has a hard time accepting why it's serious?

152 million died under the Obama Flu in 2009 and the world did NOTHING compared to today.

What's different in 2020?

Think.

Let's all calm down, abandon the hysterics, get through it by cooperating to blunt the spread as best we can given where we are, you can all quibble later.

The only coherent perspective will be one of parallel hindsight comparisons. That does not exist now, seeing what other countries have faced does.

History Channel and National Geographic says it did.

What are your sources?

Bet he doesnt answer (with anything of substance)

The 1918 influenza pandemic was the most severe pandemic in recent history. It was caused by an H1N1 virus with genes of avian origin. Although there is not universal consensus regarding where the virus originated, it spread worldwide during 1918-1919. In the United States, it was first identified in military personnel in spring 1918.

It is estimated that about 500 million people or one-third of the world’s population became infected with this virus. The number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States. Mortality was high in people younger than 5 years old, 20-40 years old, and 65 years and older. The high mortality in healthy people, including those in the 20-40 year age group, was a unique feature of this pandemic.

While the 1918 H1N1 virus has been synthesized and evaluated, the properties that made it so devastating are not well understood. With no vaccine to protect against influenza infection and no antibiotics to treat secondary bacterial infections that can be associated with influenza infections, control efforts worldwide were limited to non-pharmaceutical interventions such as isolation, quarantine, good personal hygiene, use of disinfectants, and limitations of public gatherings, which were applied unevenly.

History of 1918 Flu Pandemic | Pandemic Influenza (Flu) | CDC

What are your sources?

The 1918 influenza pandemic was the most severe pandemic in recent history. It was caused by an H1N1 virus with genes of avian origin. Although there is not universal consensus regarding where the virus originated, it spread worldwide during 1918-1919. In the United States, it was first identified in military personnel in spring 1918.

It is estimated that about 500 million people or one-third of the world’s population became infected with this virus. The number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States. Mortality was high in people younger than 5 years old, 20-40 years old, and 65 years and older. The high mortality in healthy people, including those in the 20-40 year age group, was a unique feature of this pandemic.

While the 1918 H1N1 virus has been synthesized and evaluated, the properties that made it so devastating are not well understood. With no vaccine to protect against influenza infection and no antibiotics to treat secondary bacterial infections that can be associated with influenza infections, control efforts worldwide were limited to non-pharmaceutical interventions such as isolation, quarantine, good personal hygiene, use of disinfectants, and limitations of public gatherings, which were applied unevenly.

As far as panic-inducing and shutting our economy down, this is a bust so far. The death rate in the US at THIS POINT Is well below 1%.

They will get the 15 days, and by the end of that 15 days, the drumbeat will already be well underway to open the schools and get us all back to work EXCEPT, perhaps, in the most affected areas.

And by the way, that is exactly the right response.

What are your sources?

As far as panic-inducing and shutting our economy down, this is a bust so far. The death rate in the US at THIS POINT Is well below 1%.

They will get the 15 days, and by the end of that 15 days, the drumbeat will already be well underway to open the schools and get us all back to work EXCEPT, perhaps, in the most affected areas.

Hope you are right. I thought and still think a mandatory lock down (except for food, doctor's appointments or other emergency) for around 15 days would have been prudent. That means closing down wall street, all banking (meaning no bill payments), etc. After the 15 days up, the curve would go down. Until it does, we will not be at peace in the mind. Simple as that.

The number will go up dramatically as more testing is done. We will face the explosion, which hasn't happened. We are at where Italy was about 30 days ago. There about. We were 50 days behind China at the beginning of the month.

That, is what to expect and the longer we go not doing the inevitable nationwide Lock down, the longer it will be before we see anything close to normal.

Again, hoping you are right, but when I see those young spring break losers....

When we see those people now deliberately sneezing on produce in stores. We ought to be able to assault them without any repercussions. Think about it. If we saw someone trying to kill your family, we are justified to use lethal force. Doing that threatens the entire world.

What are your sources?

Hope you are right. I thought and still think a mandatory lock down (except for food, doctor's appointments or other emergency) for around 15 days would have been prudent. That means closing down wall street, all banking (meaning no bill payments), etc. After the 15 days up, the curve would go down. Until it does, we will not be at peace in the mind. Simple as that.

The number will go up dramatically as more testing is done. We will face the explosion, which hasn't happened. We are at where Italy was about 30 days ago. There about. We were 50 days behind China at the beginning of the month.

That, is what to expect and the longer we go not doing the inevitable nationwide Lock down, the longer it will be before we see anything close to normal.

When we see those people now deliberately sneezing on produce in stores. We ought to be able to assault them without any repercussions. Think about it. If we saw someone trying to kill your family, we are justified to use lethal force. Doing that threatens the entire world.

This is pure panic talking. All of it, start to finish, but especially assaulting people without any repercussions for "threatening the entire world". That makes me think that either you or someone in your family has pre-existing health conditions that makes you vulnerable.

Okay. I get the fear. But that doesn't all of the sudden take away other people's rights.

I have lived with this FOR YEARS btw. My son has a life-threatening peanut allergy, and, in fact, almost did die in the ER. Yet I do not go around shaming, lecturing, and telling other people they cannot eat peanuts. The fact is: my son must live in a world with peanuts. He must protect himself.

I really hate the world we've become, to be honest.

Covid-19 is a fake!

No it didn't. Fool.

What are your sources?

This is pure panic talking. All of it, start to finish, but especially assaulting people without any repercussions for "threatening the entire world". That makes me think that either you or someone in your family has pre-existing health conditions that makes you vulnerable.

Okay. I get the fear. But that doesn't all of the sudden take away other people's rights.

I have lived with this FOR YEARS btw. My son has a life-threatening peanut allergy, and, in fact, almost did die in the ER. Yet I do not go around shaming, lecturing, and telling other people they cannot eat peanuts. The fact is: my son must live in a world with peanuts. He must protect himself.

I really hate the world we've become, to be honest.
Yes, I am diabetic. That is one issue. The thing is we have not seen this thing explode yet and it is simply inevitable. Now i could be wrong about that. I personally think if we did a mandatory nationwide quarantine, we would get closer to normal quicker.

Also, to me kids deliberately sneezing on produce is threatening the country if not the planet. Sounds pretty overly dramatic, but all it takes is ONE person to pass it on and it explodes. It is scary how viruses work.

Forum List

Back