Time for the US to abolish the Death Penalty

I have no faith in people's ability to determine innocence or guilt and therefore no faith in the jury system.

For that reason alone the death penalty should be abandoned. Life in prison without the possibility of parole suffices. I personally think prisons should be punishment. No TVs no weight rooms etc just a regimented existence until you either serve your sentence or die.

There are lots of practical reasons why the death penalty should be abolished. Takes too long to implement. Too expensive. Innocent people being executed. I think all of these arguments beg the question. The death penalty should be abolished because it is morally wrong. All of the practical reasons for abolishing the death penalty could, theoretically, be remedied. The appeal process could be made to be much swifter. That would go a long way toward solving the expense problem. The jury system could be improved. You could solve ALL of the practical problems that go along with the death penalty and then what?

It should still be abolished because it is morally wrong.

That is the ultimate argument against it.

I might disagree with you, but I'll defend your right to speak out against it. But if you are so dead set against it, and feel so deeply that it needs to be changed, then you should start a campaign against it. But the only way to get a law repealed is to go the same route as those who got it enbacted in the first place. I suggest you start with your local legislators..

90% of the world no longer uses the Death Penalty

The US is among a lustrious group that continues to execute prisoners. That group includes China, Iran, Iraq, N Korea and Saudi Arabia......Something all Americans can be proud of

Use of capital punishment by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I agree with you completely. All modern, industrialized, first world nations except the US have abolished the death penalty. We have all indication it does not deter crime. It is only a matter of revenge. It creates, imo, a more violent culture overall, that as well as the quantity and quality of fireams in this country. And the amount of military force we use all over the world. We've become the poster child for a violent society.

OMG, we need to stop killing people because noone else does it.

Guess what else none of those countries has, freedom of speech and the press. Should we drop that to just because they don't do it?

Most of the world does have freedom of speech and press. Those that don't.....China, Iran, N Korea encourage executions

The US is the only country in North America to engage in executions. Even Mexico who we look at as savages have abandoned it

New York is a Bible Belt state? They fought long and hard, and managed to reinstate the death penalty in 2005. To be fair, they were pretty reluctant to free their slaves, so you might have a point.

What was the name of the last person NY executed? As a hint......they still used Old Sparky

Doesn't change the fact that that it was reinstalled, does it?

Haven't used it in 50 years

Only our Bible Belt States actually execute people......Praise Jesus

There are lots of practical reasons why the death penalty should be abolished. Takes too long to implement. Too expensive. Innocent people being executed. I think all of these arguments beg the question. The death penalty should be abolished because it is morally wrong. All of the practical reasons for abolishing the death penalty could, theoretically, be remedied. The appeal process could be made to be much swifter. That would go a long way toward solving the expense problem. The jury system could be improved. You could solve ALL of the practical problems that go along with the death penalty and then what?

It should still be abolished because it is morally wrong.

I might disagree with you, but I'll defend your right to speak out against it. But if you are so dead set against it, and feel so deeply that it needs to be changed, then you should start a campaign against it. But the only way to get a law repealed is to go the same route as those who got it enbacted in the first place. I suggest you start with your local legislators..

Been arguing against it for years. If you think you can defend it feel free to call me out in the Buillpen.

I agree with you completely. All modern, industrialized, first world nations except the US have abolished the death penalty. We have all indication it does not deter crime. It is only a matter of revenge. It creates, imo, a more violent culture overall, that as well as the quantity and quality of fireams in this country. And the amount of military force we use all over the world. We've become the poster child for a violent society.

OMG, we need to stop killing people because noone else does it.

Guess what else none of those countries has, freedom of speech and the press. Should we drop that to just because they don't do it?

Most of the world does have freedom of speech and press. Those that don't.....China, Iran, N Korea encourage executions

The US is the only country in North America to engage in executions. Even Mexico who we look at as savages have abandoned it

Most of the world does not have free speech.

I might disagree with you, but I'll defend your right to speak out against it. But if you are so dead set against it, and feel so deeply that it needs to be changed, then you should start a campaign against it. But the only way to get a law repealed is to go the same route as those who got it enacted in the first place. I suggest you start with your local legislators..

Been arguing against it for years. If you think you can defend it feel free to call me out in the Bullpen.

I thought that's what I've been doing.

The fact is I could be half asleep and articulate a better argument against the death penalty than you have.

• The entire purpose of the courts is to make it hard to convict people. That is not the problem, the problem is that they have forgotten that, and now think they are there to make it easier to do so.
  • Pointing out the people that have been released from death row just reinforces the impression that the system doesn't make mistakes, what you need to do is concentrate on the people who have been killed who are innocent. I suggest you look up the story of Carlos DeLuna.
  • When you start talking about the inefficiency of the death penalty you start inspiring people to limit the appeals process, and end up with courts that rule against a defendant because his lawyer missed a filing deadline. If you oppose the death penalty you should be demanding that the courts become more inefficient and that they allow filings that are late or that raise new issues.
  • Money is always a good argument to use against a fiscal conservative. Convince them with cold hard cash that it is actually less expensive to feed a guy for 60 years than to kill him and he will drop support for the death penalty in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, that doesn't work on anyone else, so only use it when you know it when you know it will work, or someone makes the absurd claim that it saves money to kill people.
I have stood up in front of church groups that preached an eye for an eye and argued against the death penalty, I see no reason to argue for it just to teach you how to debate. Go find a church and argue with them they will pull your arguments apart and teach you to argue effectively.

No need to be a dick about it... it doesnt take a 5th year to argue the death penalty pal. Youre nothing special because you stood up to Old Bertha and told her that the death penalty is pointless. Wanna argue it? we can have it out right here, but no need to become uncivil so soon. This is just foreplay.

Stop whining and grow a pair. Argument is using the force of rhetoric to make a point, and I enjoy it. Civility is for pussies who can't handle the truth. I never said I was special, just that your arguments are pathetic.

By the way, Old Bertha would tear you a new one if you tried to argue about the death penalty with you, and come back with Bible verses, personal anecdotes about her son getting gunned down on the street, and statistics to prove that the death penalty deters crime. You aren't ready to handle her if you can't handle me pointing out how absurd your arguments are.

Well the Bible verses are about as useless to the death penalty argument as they are to any other actual problem. The Death penalty does NOt deter crime and the statistics are well in that catagoy. I personally do not care about her gunned down kid, that isnt a death penalty problem its a crime problem. Civility is for those with class, not "pussies" old timer.

The US is among a lustrious group that continues to execute prisoners. That group includes China, Iran, Iraq, N Korea and Saudi Arabia......Something all Americans can be proud of

So lets play your stupid game shall we? Lets say we have a lifer with no parole and he decides since we cant put him to death he will just kill guards and other inmates. What then?

A state has the right to deem criminals unworthy of life. And comparing the US Justice system to the Countries you just did is ignorant pathetic and amazingly stupid.

The guards should be doing their job, which is to prevent prisoners from attacking each other.

So lets play your stupid game shall we? Lets say we have a lifer with no parole and he decides since we cant put him to death he will just kill guards and other inmates. What then?

A state has the right to deem criminals unworthy of life. And comparing the US Justice system to the Countries you just did is ignorant pathetic and amazingly stupid.

The guards should be doing their job, which is to prevent prisoners from attacking each other.

Duh.

And that would mean that the only way the scumbags could attack each other is if the guards aren't doing their jobs. :cuckoo:

What Noomi doesn't know about the real world of a prison would fill the entire volume.

I might disagree with you, but I'll defend your right to speak out against it. But if you are so dead set against it, and feel so deeply that it needs to be changed, then you should start a campaign against it. But the only way to get a law repealed is to go the same route as those who got it enacted in the first place. I suggest you start with your local legislators..

Been arguing against it for years. If you think you can defend it feel free to call me out in the Bullpen.

Telling me to start a campaign is how you defend something?

No need to be a dick about it... it doesnt take a 5th year to argue the death penalty pal. Youre nothing special because you stood up to Old Bertha and told her that the death penalty is pointless. Wanna argue it? we can have it out right here, but no need to become uncivil so soon. This is just foreplay.

Stop whining and grow a pair. Argument is using the force of rhetoric to make a point, and I enjoy it. Civility is for pussies who can't handle the truth. I never said I was special, just that your arguments are pathetic.

By the way, Old Bertha would tear you a new one if you tried to argue about the death penalty with you, and come back with Bible verses, personal anecdotes about her son getting gunned down on the street, and statistics to prove that the death penalty deters crime. You aren't ready to handle her if you can't handle me pointing out how absurd your arguments are.

Well the Bible verses are about as useless to the death penalty argument as they are to any other actual problem. The Death penalty does NOt deter crime and the statistics are well in that catagoy. I personally do not care about her gunned down kid, that isnt a death penalty problem its a crime problem. Civility is for those with class, not "pussies" old timer.

Whinging about civility is for pussies.

The job of a prison guard is to keep order in the prison, not protect prisoners.

And lacking civility is for the uneducated.

And lacking civility is for the uneducated.

Look up autodidact and get back to me,

i agree !! lets stop sentencing unborn children to death .

I see the bait, but I aint biting....
whats the problem ??

Telling me to start a campaign is how you defend something?

Go back and read my previous posts on the topic.
Why should I go into detail trying to defend something that's legal? As I've already noted, the Death Penalty has gone through the entire process of becoming law which makes it a legal act. I'm not arrogant enough to think I know as much or more than the members of the state houses and senates of all of the states who took it upon themselves to pass it through their ranks and saw fit to enact it into law.
Imo something that has gone through that many obstacles to become law surely doesn't need defending by me.

So your stupid game is that the 90% of countries and almost half of US states have an epidemic of lifers killing guards and other inmates

I'm sure you have the numbers to back it up

Other than China, Iran, Iraq, N Korea and Saudi Arabia.....which countries should I be comparing the US to? They, along with the US are the major perpetrators of the death penalty

Shouldn't we be judged by the company we keep?
Still seeking that one world Utopia, I see.

You're such a good lil' libprog loon!

Btw, I just want to pass on my sincere condolences, for the heart wrenching loss you librogs suffered yesterday.....I'm sure Mo and Barack will speak on behalf of all of you at the memorial.

Last edited:
When tools stop illegally snipping live born abortion baby spines I will support banning it.

Forum List

Back