Time to Bust Up Teacher Unions

Show me any worker that works 5 days a week and 52 weeks a year
For a number of years I worked 6 days a week 52 weeks a year. In one month I worked over 400 hours.

On a fixed salary.

People on a fixed salary get screwed big time. edit: Salaried People get no help from The Department of Labor.
In the private sector. Teachers are on salary but get overtime pay.
Private sector pay sucks
Private sector pay sucks
I grew up in poverty and retired in my 50’s.

Nope.
Teachers are already overpaid.

Maybe you're undervaluing what teachers do and the profound impact they have on society.
Look, you’re acknowledging those teachers should not be teaching.

The issue is Unions keep them from being fired.

Exactly how do they do that? You have no clue do you?

It's called due process!
Thanks for validating my point. You are clueless.

Time to end teachers getting special treatment and start getting treated as the private workforce does.

Teaching jobs are highly political. I was once replaced by my principal's girlfriend for no reason other than she wanted her, not me. Administrators don't get due process. If teachers did not, such behavior would be rampant.

Show me teachers working 5 days a week 52 weeks a year.
For a number of years I worked 6 days a week 52 weeks a year. In one month I worked over 400 hours.

On a fixed salary.

We know, we know. You're just personally bitter about it.

You know what kills me about all the people who are personally bitter about teachers getting "five months off"? It was NO SECRET. It's not like no one knows about "summers off" and oh SURPRISE!! it's just an unexpected bonus you get when you graduate college. No, you go into it knowing you will get no big raises, no bonuses, no nice "perks" along the way, no trips, no incentives, no huge promotions. But you will get "summers off" and maybe a decent pension and not so much else anymore.

SO cry me a river. You had a tough job and your kids didn't like to be homeschooled so you cried to them about how bad the public schools are. We know, Weatherman. We know.
California teachers get 5 months off. I had no idea your state overworks teachers by making them work 32 weeks a year, 38.5 hours a week.

So is your real gripe with teachers personal, Weatherman? Cause you're super fixated.

You had to sell your kids on homeschooling, right? So tell them how awful the public schools were--and they still weren't entirely convinced. And so complaining and bleating about the public schools just because a nice little habit. Is that it?
My gripe is the education system that lets people who’ve shown they shouldn’t be allowed within a hundred yards of a classroom to continue to teach.

The teachers shown in the OP is just one example. Private sector someone did that they’d be canned immediately for embarrassing the company, their own time or not.

Bust the unions NOW.

Do you think public school teachers make too much money? Where I live some of them start as low as 35k/yr after 6 years of college.

Is that NOT the choice they made? Did they not know the pay scale, pros, and cons of the career before their first day of college?

Like everyone else, they are paid exactly what they are worth. No more, no less.

That's a dumb thing to say when you know public school teachers cannot negotiate our own salaries individually.

Why is it a dumb thing to say? Do teachers NOT know what their pay scale and benefits will be on their first day of college?

Doesn’t negate the need for collective bargaining

Those states without unions have the lowest teacher salaries by far. They also have the worst schools

You get what you pay for

Script-Th.jpg

Nope.

Maybe you're undervaluing what teachers do and the profound impact they have on society.
Look, you’re acknowledging those teachers should not be teaching.

The issue is Unions keep them from being fired.

It's called due process!

Time to end teachers getting special treatment and start getting treated as the private workforce does.

Teaching jobs are highly political. I was once replaced by my principal's girlfriend for no reason other than she wanted her, not me. Administrators don't get due process. If teachers did not, such behavior would be rampant.

Good thing politics is never played in the private sector.

Said no one ever.

How in the world do we get "five months off".

Show your math. Or wait, is that homeschooling math?

On a fixed salary.

You know what kills me about all the people who are personally bitter about teachers getting "five months off"? It was NO SECRET. It's not like no one knows about "summers off" and oh SURPRISE!! it's just an unexpected bonus you get when you graduate college. No, you go into it knowing you will get no big raises, no bonuses, no nice "perks" along the way, no trips, no incentives, no huge promotions. But you will get "summers off" and maybe a decent pension and not so much else anymore.

SO cry me a river. You had a tough job and your kids didn't like to be homeschooled so you cried to them about how bad the public schools are. We know, Weatherman. We know.
California teachers get 5 months off. I had no idea your state overworks teachers by making them work 32 weeks a year, 38.5 hours a week.
I don’t believe in teachers unions, but if you truly think they only put in 38.5 hours a week, as well as not have to spend their own dollars to get all the tools they need, I’ve got a bridge to sell ya.

Teachers today have to deal with school districts that only back up abusive parents, not their teachers. The top at school districts get more than anyone else, teachers be damned. It is a tough profession and you have to have a set of balls today to teach in many schools as well as a passion for seeing children learn, because of the abuse they receive. You want to blame someone? Blame the unions and districts administrators, and bad parents, not most teachers.

On a fixed salary.

I don’t believe in teachers unions, but if you truly think they only put in 38.5 hours a week, as well as not have to spend their own dollars to get all the tools they need, I’ve got a bridge to sell ya.

Teachers today have to deal with school districts that only back up abusive parents, not their teachers. The top at school districts get more than anyone else, teachers be damned. It is a tough profession and you have to have a set of balls today to teach in many schools as well as a passion for seeing children learn, because of the abuse they receive. You want to blame someone? Blame the unions and districts administrators, and bad parents, not most teachers.
I’m quoting a teacher in the thread, take it up with her.

And while you’re at it, find out what the overtime pay is the private sector salary people never see.

On a fixed salary.

And while you’re at it, find out what the overtime pay is the private sector salary people never see.
No, you assumed when she stated she only had 30 minutes for lunch, it comes to 38.5 hours.
The private sector salary has nothing to do with this discussion. And you can walk away and find another job, if you don’t like it.
Put the blame where the blame is deserved. The unions and school district administrators. Most, not all, teachers are there for the love of teaching and work their butts off, and have to deal with union control, abusive parents, kids, and administrators 5 days a week, and have no recourse other than leave the profession, but their passion for kids, keeps the good ones from walking away.

Today it is no longer the profession of yesteryear, when parents controlled their kids, administrators backed teachers up, and teachers could actually teach. Those days are long gone.

Last edited:

On a fixed salary.

No, you assumed when she stated she only had 30 minutes for lunch, it comes to 38.5 hours.
The private sector salary has nothing to do with this discussion. And you can walk away and find another job, if you don’t like it.
Put the blame where the blame is deserved. The unions and school district administrators. Most, not all, teachers are there for the love of teaching and work their butts off, and have to deal with union control, abusive parents, kids, and administrators 5 days a week, and have no recourse other than leave the profession, but their passion for kids, keeps the good ones from walking away.

Today it is no longer the profession of yesteryear, when parents controlled their kids, administrators backed teachers up, and teachers could actually teach. Those days are long gone.
She said she worked 8-4.

Now I know the math is hard for you, so go ask a homeschooler to get the answer.

Bullshit.

If we increased teacher pay and raised the barrier to entry we would get better teachers.
Nope.

Bullshit from a constant purveyor of the lowest quality bullshit!

I have 20 year-old kids with high school diplomas working for me making more than the starting salary for a teacher with at least 5 years of college.
Which ones have 5 months of vacation a year, tenure and lifetime benefits?

Why do you lie like a fucking rug?

No teacher gets 5 months vacation! Tenure is due process, and that is all. Lifetime benefits? WTF are you smoking?

It's not so much that you are a fucking moron on this topic, but the fact that you refuse to learn the bullshit you spew is nothing but damn lies!

Bullshit.

If we increased teacher pay and raised the barrier to entry we would get better teachers.
Nope.

I have 20 year-old kids with high school diplomas working for me making more than the starting salary for a teacher with at least 5 years of college.

No teacher gets 5 months vacation! Tenure is due process, and that is all. Lifetime benefits? WTF are you smoking?

It's not so much that you are a fucking moron on this topic, but the fact that you refuse to learn the bullshit you spew is nothing but damn lies!
California teachers do, and no such thing as due process in the private sector.

Teacher unions just keep bad teachers around.

Suck it up, buttercup.

On a fixed salary.

The 30 minute lunches are another lie that continues unabated. In my 21 years of teaching, I was NEVER given more than 25 minutes for lunch, ANYWHERE! Most of the time it was 20 minutes.

She said she worked 8-4.

Now I know the math is hard for you, so go ask a homeschooler to get the answer.

Her classroom time with students. Could she have worded it better? Possibly, but you were telling her she had an hour for lunch and she was replying no. Maybe you need to broaden your horizons, if you seriously think a teacher doesn’t work outside the student class time.

Homeschooling can be great to those financially able to pull it off, and with the patience. But your riding all public school teachers is for the birds. It just is.

And you ignore the realities of what teachers deal with.

Bullshit.

Nope.

Suck it up, buttercup.

Why do you keep talking about California as though it was typical. They are a fringe element, just like the libtards that infest that state.

Teacher's unions cannot keep bad teachers around. If they are bad, their performance is documented and they will be removed after due process. Oh, BTW, teacher's without tenure do NOT have due process to protect them. You have to stay in one school district in my state for more than 4 years to even be considered for tenure. Most of the time, the district gets rid of teachers by not renewing the contracts of anyone they don't like BEFORE they are eligible for tenure.

Nope.

Suck it up, buttercup.

Why do you keep talking about California as though it was typical. They are a fringe eleet, just like the libtards that infest that state.

Teacher's unions cannot keep bad teachers around. If they are bad, their performance is documented and they will be removed after due process. Oh, BTW, teacher's without tenure do NOT have due process to protect them. You have to stay in one school district in my state for more than 4 years to even be considered for tenure. Most of the time, the district gets rid of teachers by not renewing the contracts of anyone they don't like BEFORE they are eligible for tenure.
Sure. That’s why teachers have minors carry vulgar signs to political protests related to schools and have no fear of repercussion.

It's called due process!

My husband has been in the private sector for 20+ years. When he hit all the years at his company, he got nice bonuses.

I got a certificate.

He gets perks. I get....nothing.

He gets raises. Again I get....nothing. Bashed, I get bashed.

He gets to work from home two days a week. From late August through early June, I go to work five days a week, no matter what, and there is NO flexibility in my day.

But we know, your kids were homeschooled and they loved it so much. RIGHT?
Your hubby get 5 months of vacation a year?

What are you talking about "five months of vacation"? Did you even read my post?

How much did your kids love the homeschooling?
Sure teachers work 5 days a week 52 weeks a year. Riiiiight.....

My career was common to work 60 hours a week, 2AM calls, and got 2 weeks vacation and 6 holidays a year. On a fixed salary.

No complaints. I signed up for it.

Teachers today get 5 months vacations well as ‘flex days’ every month where the teachers can just take random days off. I know of one school we’re a teacher calls in sick every Friday. For years. And she’s still working there.

So cry me a River.

All of this shit you post is nothing but lies! Why do you do this? Does it give you a chubby to denigrate the teaching profession?

Forum List

Back