Timeless Quotes from Spiritual Giants

Book of Jeremiah

Platinum Member
Nov 3, 2012
Some of A.W. Tozer's quotes came to mind tonight and these are some of his very best. A. W. Tozer was a wonderful teacher, Pastor, author. I have alot of his books. This is a link to some of his best known quotes. There are others such as Ravenhill that need to be posted here too. Feel free to post your own.

A.W. Tozer Quotes (Author of The Pursuit of God)“What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us.”
― A.W. Tozer
“God never hurries. There are no deadlines against which he must work. Only to know this is to quiet our spirits and relax our nerves.”
― A.W. Tozer, The Pursuit of God
“It is doubtful whether God can bless a man greatly until He has hurt him deeply.”
― A.W. Tozer
“Rules for Self Discovery:
1. What we want most;
2. What we think about most;
3. How we use our money;
4. What we do with our leisure time;
5. The company we enjoy;
6. Who and what we admire;
7. What we laugh at.”
― A.W. Tozer

“The reason why many are still troubled, still seeking, still making little forward progress is because they haven't yet come to the end of themselves. We're still trying to give orders, and interfering with God's work within us. ”
― A.W. Tozer

“I can safely say, on the authority of all that is revealed in the Word of God, that any man or woman on this earth who is bored and turned off by worship is not ready for heaven.”
― A.W. Tozer

Last edited:
Leonard Ravenhill quotes.

Quotes of Leonard Ravenhill

Nobody else can give you a clean heart but God.

There's one thing we need above everything else; it's something we don't talk about these days. We need a mighty avalanche of conviction of sin.

We're living in an unprecedented day (when) evil is no longer evil. We've changed the terminology-- iniquity is now infirmity; wickedness is now weakness; devilry is now deficiency.

A Roman Catholic priest startled us not very long ago by saying that for 25 years he had been sitting in the confessional, listening to the confessions of men and women. He said he heard (of) murders, rapes, adultery, and fornication. He met men and women who have broken every law of God and man with repetition. But never in 25 years had anyone ever confessed to be covetous. Covetousness! We wrap it up and call it ambition. We may call it business or something, but right down in the middle of those things is a rotten word called "covetousness." Paul called it idolatry!

David had one of the most blessed experiences in the world, and the blessedness was that he was miserable about his sin.

Last edited:
Quotes from Theresa of Avila.

Saint Teresa of Avila Quotes - BrainyQuote
Be gentle to all and stern with yourself.

Saint Teresa of Avila

Our souls may lose their peace and even disturb other people's, if we are always criticizing trivial actions - which often are not real defects at all, but we construe them wrongly through our ignorance of their motives.

Saint Teresa of Avila
Accustom yourself continually to make many acts of love, for they enkindle and melt the soul.

Saint Teresa of Avila
For prayer is nothing else than being on terms of friendship with God.

Saint Teresa of Avila
There are more tears shed over answered prayers than over unanswered prayers.

Saint Teresa of Avila
To have courage for whatever comes in life - everything lies in that.

Saint Teresa of Avila
Whatever Pain is never permanent.

Saint Teresa of Avila
Prayer is an act of love; words are not needed. Even if sickness distracts from thoughts, all that is needed is the will to love.

Saint Teresa of Avila
The feeling remains that God is on the journey, too.

Saint Teresa of Avila
All blessings come to us through our Lord. He will teach us, for in beholding His life we find that He is the best example.

Saint Teresa of Avila
To reach something good it is very useful to have gone astray, and thus acquire experience.

Saint Teresa of Avila
If Christ Jesus dwells in a man as his friend and noble leader, that man can endure all things, for Christ helps and strengthens us and never abandons us. He is a true friend.

Saint Teresa of Avila
Jesus We can only learn to know ourselves and do what we can - namely, surrender our will and fulfill God's will in us.

Saint Teresa of Avila
Don't let your sins turn into bad habits.

Saint Teresa of Avila
Habits The devil put before me that I could not endure the trials of the religious life, because of my delicate nurture. I defended myself against him by alleging the trials which Christ endured, and that it was not much for me to suffer something for His sake; besides, He would help me to bear it.

Saint Teresa of Avila
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/saint_teresa_of_avila.html#8qpBCLwr7JLu3ozl.99

Last edited:
Thomas A Kempis is one of the greatest contemplatives the world has ever known of. These are some of the revelations he gleaned from his meditations of Christ. His devotional, Imitation of Christ, is superb.

Thomas a Kempis Quotes - BrainyQuoteAll men commend patience, although few are willing to practice it.

Thomas a Kempis
Love feels no burden, thinks nothing of trouble, attempts what is above its strength, pleads no excuse of impossibility; for it thinks all things lawful for itself, and all things possible.

Thomas a Kempis
What most of all hinders heavenly consolation is that you are too slow in turning yourself to prayer.

Thomas a Kempis
Slow Activate yourself to duty by remembering your position, who you are, and what you have obliged yourself to be.

Thomas a Kempis
Who has a harder fight than he who is striving to overcome himself.

Thomas a Kempis
The loftier the building, the deeper must the foundation be laid.

Thomas a Kempis
Great tranquility of heart is his who cares for neither praise nor blame.

Thomas a Kempis
If you cannot mould yourself entirely as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking?

Thomas a Kempis
We usually know what we can do, but temptation shows us who we are.

Thomas a Kempis
Gladly we desire to make other men perfect, but we will not amend our own fault.

Thomas a Kempis
Desire An humble knowledge of thyself is a surer way to God than a deep search after learning.

Thomas a Kempis
Be assured that if you knew all, you would pardon all.

Thomas a Kempis
But because many endeavor to get knowledge rather than to live well, they are often deceived and reap little or no benefit from their labor.

Thomas a Kempis
Out of sight, out of mind. The absent are always in the wrong.

Thomas a Kempis
Without the way, there is no going; without the truth, there is no knowing; without the life, there is no living.

Thomas a Kempis
Never be entirely idle; but either be reading, or writing, or praying or meditating or endeavoring something for the public good.

Thomas a Kempis
He who loves with purity considers not the gift of the lover, but the love of the giver.

Thomas a Kempis
Oh, how great peace and quietness would he possess who should cut off all vain anxiety and place all his confidence in God.

Thomas a Kempis
A man is hindered and distracted in proportion as he draws outward things to himself.

Thomas a Kempis
Distracted Purity and simplicity are the two wings with which man soars above the earth and all temporary nature.

Thomas a Kempis
At the Day of Judgment, we shall not be asked what we have read, but what we have done.

Thomas a Kempis
What else does anxiety about the future bring you but sorrow upon sorrow?

Thomas a Kempis
Occasions do not make a man either strong or weak but they show what he is.

Last edited:
Charles Finney

Charles Finney Quotes

A revival of religion presupposes a declension.

There can be no revival when Mr. Amen and Mr. Wet-Eyes are not found in the audience.

Revival comes from heaven when heroic souls enter the conflict determined to win or die-or if need be, to win and die! "The kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.

A revival is nothing else than a new beginning of obedience to God.

When the church finds its members falling into gross and scandalous sins, then it is time for the church to awake and cry to God for a Revival of Religion.

When sinners are careless and stupid, and sinking into hell unconcerned, it is time the church should bestir themselves. It is as much the duty of the church to awake, as it is for the firemen to awake when a fire breaks out in the night in a great city.

When there is a spirit of controversy in the church or in the land, a revival is needful. The spirit of religion is not the spirit of controversy. There can be no prosperity in religion, where the spirit of controversy prevails.

Last edited:
John Alexander Dowie

John Alexander Dowie Quotes (Author of American first-fruits)

“My tears were wiped away, my heart was strong, I saw the way of healing…I said, “God help me now to preach the Word to all the dying around, and tell them how ‘tis Satan still defiles, and Jesus still delivers, for He is just the same today.”
― John Alexander Dowie

“There are many Christians who are Christians in theory only, and they are worldlings in practice.”
― John Alexander Dowie

“You do not base your belief
that Jesus is the Saviour from sin
upon the fact that somebody is saved, or says he is saved;
but you base it upon the Word of the living God;
and there you stand.”
― John Alexander Dowie

Last edited:
Jeanne Guyon - the contemplative catholic woman who was the Spiritual Director to Fenelon - an ordained arch bishop and tutor to King Louis XIV 's son.

Madame Guyon Quotes

To rob God of nothing; to refuse Him nothing; to require of Him nothing; this is great perfection.

Let no one ask a stronger mark of an excellent love to God, than that we are insensible to our own reputation.

The more wants we have, the further we are from God, and the nearer we approach him, the better can we dispense with everything that is not Himself.

How can they be delivered from the life of self, who are not willing to abandon all their possessions? How can they believe themselves despoiled of all, who possess the greatest treasure under heaven? Do not oblige me to name it, but judge, if you are enlightened; there is one of them which is less than the other, which is lost before it, but which those who must lose everything have the greatest trouble in parting with.

Last edited:
Benson Idahosa

GREAT MEN QUOTATIONS: QUOTATIONS BY BENSON IDAHOSA

Life is full of choice but faith in God will affect them all. BENSON IDAHOSAH

If you have a vision and you do not act on it, it will die.

If you turn to Jesus as your last resort, He will become your result.

Your attitude determines your altitude. BENSON IDAHOSAH

The gift your have not develop has no value to your life. BENS ON IDAHOSAH

Every problem we encounter as children of God contains the seed of God's solution. BENSON IDAHOSAH

When you rebuke the wind while others are panicking people will look at you and Bonder. BENSON IDAHOSAH

’If you must succeed you must learn how to take yourself out of conflict and put yourself in confidence. BENSON IDAHOSAH

If you know where you are going, you will not be afraid of where you are now. BENSON IDAHOSAH

Any man on earth without a problem is a big head with empty brain is a load to the neck. BENSON IDAHOSAH

Cleverness takes you up but it is integrity that keeps you there. BENSON IDAHOSAH

When you give the devil attention, it will give you direction. BENSON IDAHOSAH

No matter the obstacle God will take us to the pinnacle. BENS ON IDAHOSAH

You are born in the interior (your locality) by the inferior (your parents) and called by the superior (God). BENSON IDAHOSAH

Nothing ruins ones destiny like doubt and unbelief. BENSON IDAHOSAH

Last edited:
Oswald Chambers

Oswald Chambers Quotes

When a man is at his wits' end it is not a cowardly thing to pray, it is the only way he can get in touch with Reality.
- Oswald Chambers | Prayer Quote

Do not have as your motive the desire to be known as a praying man. Get an inner chamber in which to pray where no one knows you are praying, shut the door, and talk to God in secret.
- Oswald Chambers | Prayer Quotes

There is no need to get to a place of prayer; pray wherever you are.

We pray pious blether, our will is not in it, and then we say God does not answer; we never asked Him for anything. Asking means that our wills are in what we ask.

If we rely on the Holy Spirit, we shall find that our prayers become more and more inarticulate; and when they are inarticulate, reverence grows deeper and deeper.

Prayer is not only asking, it is an attitude of heart that produces an atmosphere in which asking is perfectly natural, and Jesus says, "every one that asketh receiveth."

We pray pious blether, our will is not in it, and then we say God does not answer; we never asked Him for anything. Asking means that our wills are in what we ask.

We look upon prayer as a means of getting things for ourselves; The Bible idea of prayer is that we may get to know God Himself.

Intercessory prayer for one who is sinning prevails. God says so! The will of the man prayed for does not come into question at all, he is connected with God by prayer, and prayer on the basis of the Redemption sets the connection working and God gives life.

The whole meaning of prayer is that we may know God.

Watch your motive before God; have no other motive in prayer than to know Him.

God does not exist to answer our prayers, but by our prayers we come to discern the mind of God.
- Oswald Chambers |

Prayer is often a temptation to bank on a miracle of God instead of on a moral issue, i.e., it is much easier to ask God to do my work than it is to do it myself. Until we are disciplined properly, we will always be inclined to bank on God's miracles and refuse to do the moral thing ourselves. It is our job, and it will never be done unless we do it.
- Oswald Chambers

Whenever the insistence is on the point that God answers prayer, we are off the track. The meaning of prayer is that we get hold of God, not of the answer.
- Oswald Chambers

Our understanding of God is the answer to prayer; getting things from God is God's indulgence of us. When God stops giving us things, He brings us into the place where we can begin to understand Him.
- Oswald Chambers

If God sees that my spiritual life will be furthered by giving the things for which I ask, then He will give them, but that is not the end of prayer. The end of prayer is that I come to know God Himself.
- Oswald Chambers

You say, "But He has not answered." He has, He is so near to you that His silence is the answer. His silence is big with terrific meaning that you cannot understand yet, but presently you will.
- Oswald Chambers

When we pray "in the Name of Jesus" the answers are in accordance with His nature, and if we think our prayers are unanswered it is because we are not interpreting the answer along this line.
- Oswald Chambers

God's silences are His answers. If we only take as answers those that are visible to our senses, we are in a very elementary condition of grace.
- Oswald Chambers

Last edited:
This is John of the Cross. One who embraced his cross to the very end.

St. John Of The Cross Top 10 QuotesDesolation is a file, and the endurance of darkness is preparation for great light.
St. John of the Cross

The soul that is attached to anything however much good there may be in it, will not arrive at the liberty of divine union. For whether it be a strong wire rope or a slender and delicate thread that holds the bird, it matters not, if it really holds it fast; for, until the cord be broken the bird cannot fly.
St. John of the Cross

If a man wishes to be sure of the road he treads on, he must close his eyes and walk in the dark.
St. John of the Cross

It is great wisdom to know how to be silent and to look at neither the remarks, nor the deeds, nor the lives of others.
St. John of the Cross

No man of himself can succeed in voiding himself of all his desires in order to come to God.
St. John of the Cross

The soul that is clouded by the desires is darkened in the understanding and allows neither the sun of natural reason nor that of the supernatural Wisdom of God to shine upon it and illumine it clearly.
St. John of the Cross

The soul refrains from the desire to feel or see anything while it is in this loving awareness. The soul does nothing – only receives what is given.
St. John of the Cross

The heart and the joy of will is withdrawn from all that is not God and concentrated on Him alone.
St. John of the Cross

Sensible satisfaction is inconstant and very quick to fail.
St. John of the Cross

He said of God, Oh living flame of love, how tenderly you wound. How well he was acquainted with suffering. Another Spiritual Giant of the faith. THIS is what real Christians sound like. This is it. The summit.

Last edited:
Corrie ten Boom

Corrie ten Boom Quotes (Author of The Hiding Place)

“Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.”
― Corrie ten Boom, Clippings from My Notebook

“Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.”
― Corrie ten Boom

“This is what the past is for! Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives is the perfect preparation for the future that only He can see.”
― Corrie ten Boom, The Hiding Place

“Worrying is carrying tomorrow's load with today's strength- carrying two days at once. It is moving into tomorrow ahead of time. Worrying doesn't empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.”
― Corrie ten Boom

“If you look at the world, you'll be distressed. If you look within, you'll be depressed. If you look at God you'll be at rest.”
― Corrie ten Boom

“Hold everything in your hands lightly, otherwise it hurts when God pries your fingers open.”
― Corrie ten Boom

“Forgiveness is an act of the will, and the will can function regardless of the temperature of the heart.”
― Corrie ten Boom

“Do you know what hurts so very much? It's love. Love is the strongest force in the world, and when it is blocked that means pain. There are two things we can do when this happens. We can kill that love so that it stops hurting. But then of course part of us dies, too. Or we can ask God to open up another route for that love to travel.”

“You can never learn that Christ is all you need, until Christ is all you have.”
― Corrie ten Boom

“What wings are to a bird, and sails to a ship, so is prayer to the soul.
”
― Corrie ten Boom

“Any concern too small to be turned into a prayer is too small to be made into a burden.”
― Corrie ten Boom

“There is no pit so deep, that God's love is not deeper still.”
― Corrie ten Boom

“Some knowledge is too heavy...you cannot bear it...your Father will carry it until you are able.”

“Trying to do the Lord's work in your own strength is the most confusing, exhausting, and tedious of all work. But when you are filled with the Holy Spirit, then the ministry of Jesus just flows out of you.”
― Corrie ten Boom

“Don't bother to give God instructions; just report for duty.”
― Corrie ten Boom

“Even as the angry vengeful thoughts boiled through me, I saw the sin of them. Jesus Christ had died for this man; was I going to ask for more? Lord Jesus, I prayed, forgive me and help me to forgive him....Jesus, I cannot forgive him. Give me your forgiveness....And so I discovered that it is not on our forgiveness any more than on our goodness that the world's healing hinges, but on His. When He tells us to love our enemies, He gives along with the command, the love itself.”

Last edited:
Mrs. Charles E. Cowman.

Streams in the Desert Daily Devotional, Charles Cowman, Christian Bible DevotionsStreams in the Desert - May 10
Decrease Font SizeReset Font SizeIncrease Font SizePrintEmail3
Comments

I had fainted unless… (Ps. 27:13).

"FAINT NOT!"

How great is the temptation at this point! How the soul sinks, the heart grows sick, and the faith staggers under the keen trials and testings which come into our lives in times of special bereavement and suffering. "I cannot bear up any longer, I am fainting under this providence. What shall I do? God tells me not to faint. But what can one do when he is fainting?"

What do you do when you are about to faint physically? You cannot do anything. You cease from your own doings. In your faintness, you fall upon the shoulder of some strong loved one. You lean hard. You rest. You lie still and trust.

It is so when we are tempted to faint under affliction. God's message to us is not, "Be strong and of good courage," for He knows our strength and courage have fled away. But it is that sweet word, "Be still, and know that I am God."

Hudson Taylor was so feeble in the closing months of his life that he wrote a dear friend: "I am so weak I cannot write; I cannot read my Bible; I cannot even pray. I can only lie still in God's arms like a little child, and trust." This wondrous man of God with all his spiritual power came to a place of physical suffering and weakness where he could only lie still and trust.

And that is all God asks of you, His dear child, when you grow faint in the fierce fires of affliction. Do not try to be strong. Just be still and know that He is God, and will sustain you, and bring you through.

"God keeps His choicest cordials for our deepest faintings."

"Stay firm and let thine heart take courage" (Psa. 27:14)

Stay firm, He has not failed thee
In all the past,
And will He go and leave thee
To sink at last?
Nay, He said He will hide thee
Beneath His wing;
And sweetly there in safety
Thou mayest sing.
–Selected

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why does Streams in the Desert minister to millions of Christians? Because Mrs. Cowman knows what she is talking about. She has walked through the valley herself... and come out the other side.

Last edited:
Hudson Taylor

Hudson Taylor Quotes

I am no longer anxious about anything, as I realize the Lord is able to carry out His will, and His will is mine. It makes no matter where He places me, or how. That is rather for Him to consider than for me; for in the easiest positions He must give me His grace, and in the most difficult, His grace is sufficient.

Christ is either Lord of all, or He is not Lord at all.

Perhaps if there were more of that intense distress for souls that leads to tears, we should more frequently see the results we desire. Sometimes it may be that while we are complaining of the hardness of the hearts of those we are seeking to benefit, the hardness of our own hearts and our feeble apprehension of the solemn reality of eternal things may be the true cause of our want of success.

You must go forward on your knees.

God's work done in God's way will never lack God's supplies.

The Great Commission is not an option to be considered; it is a command to be obeyed.

Last edited:
David Brainerd. A great prayer warrior who left earth long ago...

David Brainerd Quotes - BrainyQuote

First, Resolve upon, and daily endeavour to practise, a life of seriousness and strict sobriety.

David Brainerd
Ardent love or desire introduced, as passionately longing to please and glorify the Divine Being, to be in every respect conformed to him, and in that way to enjoy him.

David Brainerd
I fear God never showed mercy to one so vile as I.

David Brainerd
We should always look upon ourselves as God's servants, placed in God's world, to do his work; and accordingly labour faithfully for him; not with a design to grow rich and great, but to glorify God, and do all the good we possibly can.

David Brainerd

Oh, how precious is time, and how it pains me to see it slide away, while I do so little to any good purpose.

Never think that you can live to God by your own power or strength; but always look to and rely on him for assistance, yea, for all strength and grace.

David Brainerd
Take heed that you faithfully perform the business you have to do in the world, from a regard to the commands of God; and not from an ambitious desire of being esteemed better than others.

David Brainerd
I am an old sinner; and if God had designed mercy for me, he would have called me home to himself before now.

David Brainerd
I bless God for this retirement: I never was more thankful for any thing than I have been of late for the necessity I am under of self-denial in many respects.

David Brainerd
My disorder has been attended with several symptoms of a consumption; and I have been at times apprehensive that my great change was at hand: yet blessed be God, I have never been affrighted; but, on the contrary, at times much delighted with a view of its approach.

David Brainerd
The whole world appears to me like a huge vacuum, a vast empty space, whence nothing desirable, or at least satisfactory, can possibly be derived; and I long daily to die more and more to it; even though I obtain not that comfort from spiritual things which I earnestly desire.

David Brainerd
Be careful to make a good improvement of precious time.

David Brainerd
As the most extravagant errors were received among the established articles of their faith, so the most infamous vices obtained in their practice, and were indulged not only with impunity, but authorized by the sanction of their laws.

David Brainerd
I have a secret thought from some things I have observed, that God may perhaps design you for some singular service in the world.

David Brainerd

May I have withstood the power of convictions a long time; and therefore I fear I shall be finally left of God.

David Brainerd

Power Worldly pleasures, such as flow from greatness, riches, honours, and sensual gratifications, are infinitely worse than none.

David Brainerd
A few of the sublimest geniuses of Rome and Athens had some faint discoveries of the spiritual nature of the human soul, and formed some probable conjectures, that man was designed for a future state of existence.

David Brainerd
As to my success here I cannot say much as yet: the Indians seem generally kind, and well-disposed towards me, and are mostly very attentive to my instructions, and seem willing to be taught further.

David Brainerd
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/d/david_brainerd.html#j0PLAbl2XT6uv8ik.99

Last edited:
“If I esteem mankind to be in error, shall I bear them down? No. I will lift them up, and in their own way too, if I cannot persuade them my way is better; and I will not seek to compel any man to believe as I do, only by the force of reasoning, for truth will cut its own way." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Some of A.W. Tozer's quotes came to mind tonight and these are some of his very best. A. W. Tozer was a wonderful teacher, Pastor, author. I have alot of his books. This is a link to some of his best known quotes. There are others such as Ravenhill that need to be posted here too. Feel free to post your own.

A.W. Tozer Quotes (Author of The Pursuit of God)“What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us.”
― A.W. Tozer
“God never hurries. There are no deadlines against which he must work. Only to know this is to quiet our spirits and relax our nerves.”
“It is doubtful whether God can bless a man greatly until He has hurt him deeply.”
― A.W. Tozer
1. What we want most;
3. How we use our money;
5. The company we enjoy;
7. What we laugh at.”
― A.W. Tozer

“The reason why many are still troubled, still seeking, still making little forward progress is because they haven't yet come to the end of themselves. We're still trying to give orders, and interfering with God's work within us. ”
― A.W. Tozer

“I can safely say, on the authority of all that is revealed in the Word of God, that any man or woman on this earth who is bored and turned off by worship is not ready for heaven.”
― A.W. Tozer

http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/353991-timeless-quotes-from-spiritual-giants.html

To Jeri: Wow! Interesting thread that required a lot work. :eusa_clap:

― A.W. Tozer
― A.W. Tozer
1. What we want most;
3. How we use our money;
5. The company we enjoy;
7. What we laugh at.”
― A.W. Tozer

― A.W. Tozer

― A.W. Tozer

http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/353991-timeless-quotes-from-spiritual-giants.html

To Jeri: Wow! Interesting thread that required a lot work. :eusa_clap:

Thank you, Flanders. I got a bit sidetracked this morning but I have only just begun to list these people. They are the hall of famers who are right now cheering on the Christians in this hour - to endure until the end.

These people all went through the fire and came out purified as gold. It is very encouraging to listen to their words of wisdom today.

Some are lesser known such as Benson Idahosa. Benson was a prayer warrior who lived on the continent of Africa and did warfare against people in the occult, witch doctors, witches, the stories of his life are astounding. I met him and he prayed over me before for a greater anointing on my prayer life. I loved that man. I sat in an empty church once for 3 hours on my birthday waiting for him to arrive. he didn't make it that time. I was very energized in my spirit by the faith of that man. I would have sat there for a week waiting...

Today he is in heaven.

He walked out to a beach where a village of witches had gathered to curse him and the moment they saw him they all fled in terror. His prayer life was so powerful that it literally drove back the forces of darkness. It couldn't stand in his presence. When he prayed the atmosphere in the room would literally change. He was full of faith.

Jonathan Edwards - Spiritual Giant

Jonathan Edwards Quotes (Author of Religious Affections)

“He that has doctrinal knowledge and speculation only, without affection, never is engaged in the business of religion.”
― Jonathan Edwards

“And yet some people actually imagine that the revelation in God’s Word is not enough to meet our needs. They think that God from time to time carries on an actual conversation with them, chatting with them, satisfying their doubts, testifying to His love for them, promising them support and blessings. As a result, their emotions soar; they are full of bubbling joy that is mixed with self-confidence and a high opinion of themselves. The foundation for these feelings, however, does not lie within the Bible itself, but instead rests on the sudden creations of their imaginations. These people are clearly deluded. God’s Word is for all of us and each of us; He does not need to give particular messages to particular people.”
― Jonathan Edwards

“Resolution One: I will live for God. Resolution Two: If no one else does, I still will.”
― Jonathan Edwards

“Resolved, that I will live so, as I shall wish I had done when I come to die.”
― Jonathan Edwards

“Truth is the agreement of our ideas with the ideas of God.”
― Jonathan Edwards

“Godliness is more easily feigned in words than in actions”
― Jonathan Edwards, Religious Affections

“If the heart be chiefly and directly fixed on God, and the soul engaged to glorify him, some degree of religious affection will be the effect and attendant of it. But to seek after affection directly and chiefly; to have the heart principally set upon that; is to place it in the room of God and his glory. If it be sought, that others may take notice of it, and admire us for our spirituality and forwardness in religion, it is then damnable pride; if for the sake of feeling the pleasure of being affected, it is then idolatry and self-gratification.”
― Jonathan Edwards, The Life and Diary of David Brainerd

“Unconverted men walk over the pit of hell on a rotten covering.”
― Jonathan Edwards, Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God

“From love arises hatred of those things which are contrary to what we love, or which oppose and thwart us in those things that we delight in.”
― Jonathan Edwards

“Men have a great deal of pleasure in human knowledge, in studies of natural things; but this is nothing to that joy which arises from divine light shining into the soul. This spiritual light is the dawning of the light of glory in the heart. There is nothing so powerful as this to support persons in affliction, and to give the mind peace and brightness in this stormy and dark world. This knowledge will wean from the world, and raise the inclination to heavenly things. It will turn the heart to God as the fountain of good, and to choose him for the only portion. This light, and this only, will bring the soul to a saving close with Christ. It conforms the heart to the gospel, mortifies its enmity and opposition against the scheme of salvation therein revealed: it causes the heart to embrace the joyful tidings, and entirely to adhere to, and acquiesce in the revelation of Christ as our Savior.”
― Jonathan Edwards

“A truly Christian love, either to God or men, is a humble broken-hearted love. The desires of the saints, however earnest, are humble desires. Their hope is a humble hope; and their joy, even when it is unspeakable and full of glory, is a humble broken-hearted joy, and leaves the Christian more poor in spirit, and more like a little child, and more disposed to a universal lowliness of behaviour.”

like “true weanedness from the world don't consist in being beat off from the world by the affliction of it, but a being drawn off by the sight of something better.”
― Jonathan Edwards

“The deceitfulness of the heart of man appears in no one thing so much as this of spiritual pride and self-righteousness. The subtlety of Satan appears in its height, in his managing persons with respect to this sin. And perhaps one reason may be that here he has most experience; he knows the way of its coming in; he is acquainted with the secret springs of it: it was his own sin. Experience gives vast advantage in leading souls, either in good or evil.”

“If I murmur in the least at affliction, if I am in any way uncharitable, if I revenge my own case, if I do anything purely to please myself or omit anything because it is a great denial, if I trust myself, if I take any praise for any good which Christ does by me, or if I am in any way proud, I shall act as my own and not God’s.”
― Jonathan Edwards

“True Christian fortitude consists in strength of mind, through grace, exerted in two things; in ruling and suppressing the evil and unruly passions and affections of the mind; and in steadfastly and freely exerting and following good affections and dispositions, without being hindered by sinful fear or the opposition of enemies... Though Christian fortitude appears in withstanding and counteracting the enemies that are without us; yet it much more appears in resisting and suppressing the enemies that are within us; because they are our worst and strongest enemies and have greatest advantage against us. The strength of the good soldier of Jesus Christ appears in nothing more than in steadfastly maintaining the holy calm, meekness, sweetness, and benevolence of his mind, amidst all the storms, injuries, strange behaviour, and surprising acts and events of this evil and unreasonable world.”

“True virtue never appears so lovely as when it is most oppressed; and the divine excellency of real Christianity is never exhibited with such advantage as when under the greatest trials; then it is that true faith appears much more precious than gold, and upon this account is "found to praise and honour and glory.”

― Jonathan Edwards

Last edited:
Alexander MacLaren.

Alexander MacLaren QuotesThe sum of the whole matter is this: He who is one in will and heart with God is a Christian. He who loves God is one in will and heart with Him. He who trusts Christ loves God. That is Christianity in its ultimate purpose and result. That is Christianity in its means and working forces. That is Christianity in its starting point and foundation.
Quotes from Alexander MacLaren.

We believe that to Christ belongs creative power--that "without Him was not anything made which was made." We believe that from Him came all life at first. In Him life was as in its deep source. He is the fountain of life. We believe that as no being comes into existence without His creative power, so none continues to exist without His sustaining energy. We believe that the history of the world is but the history of His influence, and that the centre of the whole universe is the cross of Cavalry.

If life has not made you by God's grace, through faith, holy--think you, will death without faith do it? The cold waters of that narrow stream are no purifying bath in which you may wash and be clean. No! no! as you go down into them, you will come up from them.

The grave has a door on its inner side.

I know what Eternity is, though I cannot define the word to satisfy a metaphysician. The little child taught by some grandmother Lois, in a cottage, knows what she means when she tells him "you will live forever," though both scholar and teacher would be puzzled to put it into other words.

Transiency is stamped on all our possessions, occupations, and delights. We have the hunger for eternity in our souls, the thought of eternity in our hearts, the destination for eternity written on our inmost being, and the need to ally ourselves with eternity proclaimed by the most short-lived trifles of time. Either these things will be the blessing or the curse of our lives. Which do yon mean that they shall be for you?

Faith, which is trust, and fear are opposite poles. If a man has the one, he can scarcely have the other in vigorous operation. He that has his trust set upon God does not need to dread anything except the weakening or the paralyzing of that trust.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back