Tipping in Resturants

I can't afford to eat at most any restaurants anymore, and I prefer to cook my own food. You do what you like, girlfriend. You want to overpay for something, I won't stop you.

We don't go out to eat very often. I love spending time in the kitchen and consider cooking almost therapeutic. It's a stress reliever.
I love cooking too. Would go out more if we didn't have a tipping system.

I can't afford to eat at most any restaurants anymore, and I prefer to cook my own food. You do what you like, girlfriend. You want to overpay for something, I won't stop you.

We don't go out to eat very often. I love spending time in the kitchen and consider cooking almost therapeutic. It's a stress reliever.

Agreed.
We probably eat out 3 times a week but I can do as well as most restaurants at home.
I go out when I want to relax and have everything taken care of from drinks to kitchen clean up.

You've already paid the restaurant owner, and everyone in the chain behind him, the farmer, the food distributor, the napkin manufacturer, they are all paid.

What you're doing is stealing from the poor man who brought you your meal. Shame on you.
I didnt tip the bank teller, my Gardner, the cashier at the grocery store, the cashier at Khols, the guy who brought me my chicken sandwhich at Chick Fil A, etc etc.

You dont tip the gardener,the trash guys and your maid service at Christmas time?
Those are Christmas gifts to friends. You buy every cashier who takes your money a gift or tip?

Hell,I dont even know the names of my trash guys,and I wouldnt call any of them friends.
I have a working relationship with them like I do the waiters at my favorite places. They'll take any damn thing I put on the curb even if they can say no. That deserves a little extra.
And if I cant justify tipping my gardener or maid they wont be working for me for very long.
Got to be friends with some service people in New Zealand. Like I said, they all had zero expectations of any tips yet treated my wife and I like we were royalty. It's rare here in 20% tipping US.

No doubt if you're pleasant you can make friends with people you do a lot of business with.
The problem being is that those people here in Texas barely speak english and you're highly unlikely to go past a general business relationship with them.

Agreed.
We probably eat out 3 times a week but I can do as well as most restaurants at home.
I go out when I want to relax and have everything taken care of from drinks to kitchen clean up.
3x a week is a lot.

I didnt tip the bank teller, my Gardner, the cashier at the grocery store, the cashier at Khols, the guy who brought me my chicken sandwhich at Chick Fil A, etc etc.

You dont tip the gardener,the trash guys and your maid service at Christmas time?
Those are Christmas gifts to friends. You buy every cashier who takes your money a gift or tip?

Hell,I dont even know the names of my trash guys,and I wouldnt call any of them friends.
I have a working relationship with them like I do the waiters at my favorite places. They'll take any damn thing I put on the curb even if they can say no. That deserves a little extra.
And if I cant justify tipping my gardener or maid they wont be working for me for very long.
Got to be friends with some service people in New Zealand. Like I said, they all had zero expectations of any tips yet treated my wife and I like we were royalty. It's rare here in 20% tipping US.

No doubt if you're pleasant you can make friends with people you do a lot of business with.
The problem being is that those people here in Texas barely speak english and you're highly unlikely to go past a general business relationship with them.
That's a symptom of the problem with tipping. Everyone knows their getting a tip and Millenials don't care. They'll make money even treating people like crap. People rarely talk to management, they think they got revenge with a 10% tip.

Agreed.
3x a week is a lot.

I guess thats a matter of opinion.

We generally spend $150 to $200 and occasionally more when we go out. I find the stress free process and enjoyment we get out of it well worth it.
When we go out we follow the Italian rule that the table is ours for the night once we sit down and we generally spend three to four hours there.
When you go to a new place they tend to get a little antsy about you taking up a table for so long but they quickly forget about that when you spend money,in fact they love to see you walk in the door once they get to know you.

That's a symptom of the problem with tipping. Everyone knows their getting a tip and Millenials don't care. They'll make money even treating people like crap. People rarely talk to management, they think they got revenge with a 10% tip.

I disagree.
Crappy waiters can expect five percent from me.
If they have half a brain and can connect the higher tips their co workers receive they'll do better next time.
If not I'll request a different server next time and they'll eventually be weeded out.

It's just cheaper to cook your food, than eat at a restaurant, ANY restaurant. Hell, I don't go to a museum anymore because as much as I appreciate good food or art, some of us are being priced out. If you think paying someone to exploit their workers is ethical and reasonable, and you have deep pockets, you do THAT. Don't care who it hurts or how it seems to enable exploiters. Don't care, rationalize it, delude your rich wealth selves. I doubt to any poor people sympathize.

It's just cheaper to cook your food, than eat at a restaurant, ANY restaurant. Hell, I don't go to a museum anymore because as much as I appreciate good food or art, some of us are being priced out. If you think paying someone to exploit their workers is ethical and reasonable, and you have deep pockets, you do THAT. Don't care who it hurts or how it seems to enable exploiters. Don't care, rationalize it, delude your rich wealth selves. I doubt to any poor people sympathize.

You're not getting it.
A good waiter or waitress can make far more money working for tips than they can on some imaginative living wage.
And if you cant do the job you need to find another. Would you pay some dude who doesnt want to be a mechanic to work on your car and his work ethic shows that? Of course not.
Working hard to be a good waiter or waitress pays the same dividends as working hard to be a good mechanic.

I disagree.
If they have half a brain and can connect the higher tips their co workers receive they'll do better next time.
If not I'll request a different server next time and they'll eventually be weeded out.
They don't care. The other 9 tables paid 20% and he'll be there tomorrow because you never complained to management.

Agreed.
3x a week is a lot.

We generally spend $150 to $200 and occasionally more when we go out. I find the stress free process and enjoyment we get out of it well worth it.
When we go out we follow the Italian rule that the table is ours for the night once we sit down and we generally spend three to four hours there.
When you go to a new place they tend to get a little antsy about you taking up a table for so long but they quickly forget about that when you spend money,in fact they love to see you walk in the door once they get to know you.
Priorities I guess. I live comfortably but prefer to do other things with my money.

I disagree.
They don't care. The other 9 tables paid 20% and he'll be there tomorrow because you never complained to management.

Most people dont tip 20%. And the crappy waiter will leave to find a different type of work since they'll get shit for a tip.

As someone who worked as a bartender you can take it to the bank...if you're a people person you'll make decent money in the service industry.

Agreed.
3x a week is a lot.

Priorities I guess. I live comfortably but prefer to do other things with my money.

Meh...it's expendable income and doesnt change how we live one way or another.

I disagree.

Most people dont tip 20%. And the crappy waiter will leave to find a different type of work since they'll get shit for a tip.

As someone who worked as a bartender you can take it to the bank...if you're a people person you'll make decent money in the service industry.
Maybe. But still no excuse for expecting me to pay $10 a plate just to take an order and bring my dish.

I disagree.

Maybe. But still no excuse for expecting me to pay $10 a plate just to take an order and bring my dish.

I see your point.
But when The Wife and I go out we want exceptional service and we get it by tipping well.
Seriously,these people fall all over themselves to make us happy and we show our appreciation by treating them well and tipping well.
Hell,the bartender at my favorite Cajun joint is always asking if I want to go out and party with him and his buds...i'm 52 and he's in his mid 20's.
Being generous when you can can open a lot of doors you may not have thought were available.

By law, restaurants don't have to pay the minimum wage that other businesses do. We have Herman Cain to thank for making that a permanent by-law of the restaurant association he was head of.

It's also a way that restaurants have been f getting the consumer to pay a part of their cost of doing business.

It's a scam all right but the wait staff are just as much the victim as the consumer.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Because you're a good sheep. Next year it'll be 30%.

cheapchick.gif
I pay those who do work for me well. They agreed the compensation is fair, thus they agree to do the work.

Paying a waitress for $10 for 120 seconds of low level work is beyond reasonable.

I disagree.

I see your point.
But when The Wife and I go out we want exceptional service and we get it by tipping well.
Seriously,these people fall all over themselves to make us happy and we show our appreciation by treating them well and tipping well.
Hell,the bartender at my favorite Cajun joint is always asking if I want to go out and party with him and his buds...i'm 52 and he's in his mid 20's.
Being generous when you can can open a lot of doors you may not have thought were available.
If you think you get good service because of the amount of tipping, then that is poor service.

When I first got married we didn't have much extra money. And when we did go out for something like a birthday or anniversary we did not have money to throw around. What you are saying is it is OK for us to get crappy service because we are new customers or returning customers who tipped at basic levels. That's unacceptable.

By law, restaurants don't have to pay the minimum wage that other businesses do. We have Herman Cain to thank for making that a permanent by-law of the restaurant association he was head of.

It's also a way that restaurants have been f getting the consumer to pay a part of their cost of doing business.

It's a scam all right but the wait staff are just as much the victim as the consumer.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com
Victim? Someone preventing a waiter from working at Home Depot? They pay above minimum wage?
Oh, that's right. Tipping provides them big bucks for a low skill task. So that's why they do it.

I disagree.

I see your point.
If you think you get good service because of the amount of tipping, then that is poor service.

When I first got married we didn't have much extra money. And when we did go out for something like a birthday or anniversary we did not have money to throw around. What you are saying is it is OK for us to get crappy service because we are new customers or returning customers who tipped at basic levels. That's unacceptable.

If you work harder you deserve a bigger tip.
And how would they know you were a crappy tipper if you'd never been there before?
Paying more for better service is common throughout all industries. For example,you'll pay more for a certified GE repairman than you will some local yokel who says he'll fix anything.
Why? Because they put in the extra effort to become certified hence they charge more.
Just like the waitress who goes the extra mile deserves a bigger tip.

Forum List

Back