Tipping in Resturants

The whole food/ restaurant/ hospitality industry needs to be overhauled IF they they can excuse not paying their employees a fair wage like any other industry, and make their employees depend on what amounts to hands outs or charity. Jesus, this isn't 19th century, why is this still lingering in America?
I notice it is the liberals on this forum who are justifying to themselves ripping off servers.

You're gonna rely on the work ethic of todays youth to get good service?:lmao:
Like I said, best service I have ever got was in nations where tipping is not practiced.

I guess that reflects on American youth more than anything.
Agreed, that's why I don't like it. People expect me to pay a lot of money to just hand me a plate. I wish America would phase it out. Pay the servers a competitive salary and be done with it.

I like the tip system.
If restaurants have to jack up prices to cover the increased wage where's your savings?
I'd rather give it to the hard working people who deserve it,not the "I'm gonna do just enough not to get fired" crowd.
Because everyone does it.

I look at tipping like right to work states vs unions.
The union worker is damn near impossible to fire even when they under perform. In a right to work state the hardest workers get paid the most which of course is only fair.

I guess progressives will never be happy until all time honored and ancient traditions are erased from our lives. Only robots and sheep can bring them fulfillment.
More elitist wish fulfillment to eliminate ways for the unwashed masses to make a living. The hospitality industry is antiquated and arcane............probably only deplorables and misfits work in this dying industry. Service worker bashing? Isn't that politically incorrect.

May the spaghetti that server spills in your lap be really hot.
Is tipping a form of extortion? We don't want to piss off the people that make our food. Maybe one more reason NOT to go to a restaurant anymore. No soup for me! I will make my own damned soup.

The whole food/ restaurant/ hospitality industry needs to be overhauled IF they they can excuse not paying their employees a fair wage like any other industry, and make their employees depend on what amounts to hands outs or charity. Jesus, this isn't 19th century, why is this still lingering in America?

The good waiter makes good money,the crappy waiter makes crappy money.
The Conservative in me appreciates that.

I guess progressives will never be happy until all time honored and ancient traditions are erased from our lives. Only robots and sheep can bring them fulfillment.
More elitist wish fulfillment to eliminate ways for the unwashed masses to make a living. The hospitality industry is antiquated and arcane............probably only deplorables and misfits work in this dying industry. Service worker bashing? Isn't that politically incorrect.

May the spaghetti that server spills in your lap be really hot.
Is tipping a form of extortion? We don't want to piss off the people that make our food. Maybe one more reason NOT to go to a restaurant anymore. No soup for me! I will make my own damned soup.

No,tipping is a form of appreciation of a job well done.

I notice it is the liberals on this forum who are justifying to themselves ripping off servers.

:lol:

Congratulations, Weatherman2020 !

You're a liberal now!

You're a liberal now!

We know he's Conservative.
I'll just say I think he's misguided on this topic.

That is fine, sounds Darwinian. I still want to know why any industry can get away with paying people less than minimum wage like the hospitality industry seems to. Are theses workers outside of some norm I don't know of?

It is a shame to see so many misers in this thread when it comes to tipping. A 10% tip for good service!? Absurd.

You're a liberal now!

We know he's Conservative.
I'll just say I think he's misguided on this topic.

Oh, I'm making fun of Blackrook's bullshit, not Weatherman.

cheap asses like yall tipping 10 % need to stay at the drive thrus
10% used to be for exceptional service.

So why should the percent go up? It's a damn percentage!

Have never heard of exceptional service equating to 10%. Not even normal service. Not in my lifetime.
That's because your a Millenial. Sometime in the 80's when I was not looking it went to 15%. Then I blinked again and it went to 20%.

A "millennial"?? :rofl:

Dood, you know dirt? I invented that. I had white hair 33 years before the millennium.
"Millennial" my ass. You tried to float a strawman, and you got called on it. Young whippersnapper.
Then you have Alzheimer's. Tipping at 10% was the norm 30 years ago,

First, let me say I have zero desire to be a waiter. I don't think I could do what they do for a living. They are providing a service that I respect and need. 99% of waiters and waitresses I see do a great job.

That said, I think tipping should be obsoleted in the US. New Zealand no one tips. They earn their income based upon a wage they agree to when they hire on.

I've watched the "proper" tipping amount go from 10% to 15% to now 20% of the bill. At the high cost of restaurant food, these people are making a killing. A local restaurant owner here I liked had to close - his servers were earning more than he was. That said, I top 10% at most.

Tipping is a scam.

tipping isn't a scam.... paying servers $2 and change an hour is the scam... so they only survive if they get tipped.

I don't recall tipping in NYC ever being less than 15%. now I wouldn't give less than 20%

It is a shame to see so many misers in this thread when it comes to tipping. A 10% tip for good service!? Absurd.
Said the neo Jaba the hut Nero Robot rubbing his huge huge swollen belly with a belt sander. I can't afford mac D's any more, let alone Puck's. Jolly good for you.

Last edited:

That is fine, sounds Darwinian. I still want to know why any industry can get away with paying people less than minimum wage like the hospitality industry seems to. Are theses workers outside of some norm I don't know of?

Look at it this way. Most waiters and waitresses are young.
Tipping gives the worker an idea of what hard work does for them,a good work ethic is the end result.
I know I watched who made the most money when I bartended and I emulated their approach and it truly paid off.

Just as I asked the experienced machinists shit loads of questions and had to kiss a little ass to get them to give up their secrets.
He who applies themselves separate themselves from the pack and get noticed,whether it's your boss noticing or the customer.

The whole tipping thing works to my advantage because I'm a middle-aged white man. Servers know that middle-aged white men are the best tippers, and I always get the best service because of this. Of course, I always give very generous tips, way more than expected.
Good for you. Some people spend a lot of money on buying trivial things, just not my gig.
You've already paid the restaurant owner, and everyone in the chain behind him, the farmer, the food distributor, the napkin manufacturer, they are all paid.

What you're doing is stealing from the poor man who brought you your meal. Shame on you.
I didnt tip the bank teller, my Gardner, the cashier at the grocery store, the cashier at Khols, the guy who brought me my chicken sandwhich at Chick Fil A, etc etc.

Because you're a good sheep. Next year it'll be 30%.

cheapchick.gif

Forum List

Back