Tipping in Resturants

Is this tipping stuff a way to excuse underpaying someone, or is it supposed to be like extra reward for just doing your job well to begin with? Like a commission but for poor people? I never understood why we have tipping. But now that they are raising the minimum wage, that will fix everything. Well, until the cost of living goes up, then we're back to square one...Chasing our tails.
If I'm paying $50 a plate, why should I pay $10 just to have it brought to me?
We should pay our fair share, and the restaurateurs should pay their employees a fair living wage. Tipping maybe should go the way of the hoop skirts or cranks on autos.

Is this tipping stuff a way to excuse underpaying someone, or is it supposed to be like extra reward for just doing your job well to begin with? Like a commission but for poor people? I never understood why we have tipping. But now that they are raising the minimum wage, that will fix everything. Well, until the cost of living goes up, then we're back to square one...Chasing our tails.
No. The good will of the customer is so paramount in the dining industry that a customer that has just one bad experience will likely never come through the door again. So, keeping the customer happy is the top priority. That means you have to have a dedicated and very motivated staff. You may not like it or agree with it, but working hard to please the customer for those tips are the best way to keep your staff on top of their game at all times. Also, many wait staff makes excellent incomes, far and above what some minimum wage slave would make.

No. The good will of the customer is so paramount in the dining industry that a customer that has just one bad experience will likely never come through the door again. So, keeping the customer happy is the top priority. That means you have to have a dedicated and very motivated staff. You may not like it or agree with it, but working hard to please the customer for those tips are the best way to keep your staff on top of their game at all times. Also, many wait staff makes excellent incomes, far and above what some minimum wage slave would make.
That's a world I don't live in. It seems almost Dickensian, and out of place. Exploitative and dehumanizing.

This is one reason why fine dinning is in decline, if we are placed in a moral quandary just to dine on fine cuisine, I would rather ...buy my OWN food and prepare my OWN meal.

First, let me say I have zero desire to be a waiter. I don't think I could do what they do for a living. They are providing a service that I respect and need. 99% of waiters and waitresses I see do a great job.

That said, I think tipping should be obsoleted in the US. New Zealand no one tips. They earn their income based upon a wage they agree to when they hire on.

I've watched the "proper" tipping amount go from 10% to 15% to now 20% of the bill. At the high cost of restaurant food, these people are making a killing. A local restaurant owner here I liked had to close - his servers were earning more than he was. That said, I top 10% at most.

Tipping is a scam.
What I want to know is why this thread ended up on the Religion and Ethics board. But, be that as it may. Tipping is so antiquated and arcane. Why not pay people in the hospitality industry a living wage from the get go?

Screw that!!
When I was bartending in a high volume club in 85 I'd make $400 to $600 on Friday and Saturday night.
Plus another 5 or 6 hundred during the week.
I'd sometimes pull in $2000 a week total just in tips plus my min wage.
And this was in 85!!

Any waiter or bartender who wants a living wage is a dumbass or lazy.

We should pay our fair share, and the restaurateurs should pay their employees a fair living wage. Tipping maybe should go the way of the hoop skirts or cranks on autos.
Life is filled with choices. If someone agrees to
if a person agrees to be hired at anything they have agreed it is a fair trade in compensation. I don't buy any BS about "fair living wages".

This is one reason why fine dinning is in decline, if we are placed in a moral quandary just to dine on fine cuisine, I would rather ...buy my OWN food and prepare my OWN meal.
Hell, the hamburger joints cost you $12 a meal. But you don't tip fast food. Yet. No reason a sit down restaurant server should get tipped.

Life is filled with choices. If someone agrees to
if a person agrees to be hired at anything they have agreed it is a fair trade in compensation. I don't buy any BS about "fair living wages".
I don't want to be nosy, but you sound as if you have a vested interest here. Do you own a restaurant by chance?

Hell, the hamburger joints cost you $12 a meal. But you don't tip fast food. Yet. No reason a sit down restaurant server should get tipped.

I disagree.
I gladly tip well because I know I'll get good service when I return.

People who don't tip are assholes, and they will be known as assholes, by people who are working very hard for very little money.

That's a world I don't live in. It seems almost Dickensian, and out of place. Exploitative and dehumanizing.
Maybe you should join this world. In what world does the management not find ways to motivate their staff? I suppose your dead set against bonuses too?

I disagree.
I gladly tip well because I know I'll get good service when I return.
I say your delusional. A good service person will treat you well no matter what.

There are exceptions to the minimum wages laws. Wait staff typically make less than half of minimum wage as an hourly pay. They make up the difference in tips. The hospitality industry has to change it. And they won't, because right now they can legally pay someone less than minimum wage. And the wait staff will get screwed because it will be taxed if they pay them minimum wage. Nobody wins except the Mr. Pinks out there.
That is true, I forgot about that. HOW can anyone excuse paying these people less than minimum wage?

The federal minimum for tipped employees is like $2.20 or something. That is if they make $30 in tips. If not, the employer is supposed to bring their pay up to minimum wage. But that never happens.

I don't go anywhere were they imply you need to tip, it's outrageous. Starbucks or even Chili's. Come on, I don't get tips for doing a good job, I get a raise.

There are exceptions to the minimum wages laws. Wait staff typically make less than half of minimum wage as an hourly pay. They make up the difference in tips. The hospitality industry has to change it. And they won't, because right now they can legally pay someone less than minimum wage. And the wait staff will get screwed because it will be taxed if they pay them minimum wage. Nobody wins except the Mr. Pinks out there.
That is true, I forgot about that. HOW can anyone excuse paying these people less than minimum wage?

The federal minimum for tipped employees is like $2.20 or something. That is if they make $30 in tips. If not, the employer is supposed to bring their pay up to minimum wage. But that never happens.
Then don't work there. Not a difficult concept.

Forum List

Back