Tired of not-winning? ... Average Tax Refunds Down 8.4 Percent As Angry Taxpayers Vent On Twitter

The withholding tables were not put in place by Congress. That was the Treasury Department.
In conformance with the tax reforms passed by Congress.

They could have left the original tables in place and made the new table optional. Apparently the Treasury Department wanted to reduce tax refunds when they put the withholding tables in place.
No, Congress passed legislation that made the old tables irrelevant, and Treasury updated the tables to conform with the law. The reason the tax refunds are lower is because less withholding was drawn from their paychecks because of the tax cut they enjoyed, but how can people stupid enough to make interest free loans to the federal government all year be expected to understand that?

Again, the reason the tax refunds are lower is that the people paid less in taxes during the year.

They were not irrelevant. It was a strictly political decision so voters would see the supposed tax cuts in their checks. People have not been impressed. The Treasury could have left the old tables in place and people could have gotten bigger refunds. Then people could have chosen whether they want less or the same amount withheld next year. Instead some people are going to be owing money instead of getting refunds. Again interest rates are still so low that the interest taxpayers are foregoing might not even buy chewing gum.
I'm sure you can find the old tax tables online if you really want to see them, but what you will find is that under the old tables you would have paid more in taxes and therefore would have gotten back more in refunds.

I don't need to look them up as I know that is exactly what would have happened. It might also have been better politics for people to see larger refunds.

Everyone is paying the same as usual, the deductions have changed People in states with no state income tax are better off and people in states with high state income taxes are in for a rude awakening, Need to take it up with your state representatives.

The feces has hit the fan at tax refund time as low and middle-class Americans are finding that Trump has his hand in their pocket and has stolen money from their refunds.

The wealthy are still doing just fine. The lies about the Trump tax cuts is now exposed that the low and middle class are financing the tax cuts for the wealthy people and corporations.

Donald Trump won't be able to spin his way out of the tax cut lie.

Average Tax Refunds Down 8.4 Percent As Angry Taxpayers Vent On Twitter | HuffPost

Average Tax Refunds Down 8.4 Percent As Angry Taxpayers Vent On Twitter
Many workers who had always gotten a refund find out they now owe the IRS.
headshot
By Mary Papenfuss

Average tax refunds were down last week 8.4 percent for the first week of the tax season over the same time last year, according to the Internal Revenue Service. Dipping refunds are inflaming a growing army of taxpayers stunned by the consequences of the Trump administration’s tax law — and the effects of the partial government shutdown.

The average refund check paid out so far has been $1,865, down from $2,035 at the same point in 2018, according to IRS data. Low-income taxpayers often file early to pocket the money as soon as possible. Many taxpayers count on the refunds to make important payments, or spend the money on things like home repairs, a vacation or a car.

The IRS had estimated it would issue about 2.3 percent fewer refunds this year as a result of the changes in the federal tax law, according to Bloomberg. MSNBC reports that 30 million Americans will owe the IRS money this year — 3 million more than before Trump’s tax law.

“There are going to be a lot of unhappy people over the next month,” Edward Karl of the American Institute of CPAs told Politico. “Taxpayers want a large refund.” Some 71 percent of taxpayers received refunds last year worth about $3,000 on average, according to Karl.

Scads of taxpayers are complaining on Twitter that they have always received a refund — but now owe the IRS instead. ...

What does this have to do with Trump?

The amount of your refund, is determined by how much you over pay. If you WANT a refund, you just jack up your with-holdings. How dumb is that? I want to be poorer all year long... so I can get a check back from the government?

Hey idiot.... put your money in a savings account, and at the end of the year, you'll have the same amount of money in that account, that you would have had in a refund... except with interest.

And if you have an emergency during the year, you could use it.

Trump has nothing to do with how stupid you are in giving too much money to the government. Dumbest thing in the world....

"I'm mad at Trump because I didn't over pay all year long! It's all his fault I wasn't poorer the entire year!"

Are you a moron? Oh... right... your worse than a moron... you are a Democrap.

You are dumber than you seem.

People are calculating their taxes. They made about the same as the previous year under the old tax code, they took the same withholding, and they expected a LARGER refund because that's what Trump promised. When many people didn't see any increase in their paycheck when the cuts took effect. Trump said they'd get a big refund from the cuts, but they are now finding that they're paying MORE than they did last year.

People are mad at Trump because HE LIED.

No, people are mad because they are stupid!

You keep believing that all the way up to 2020.

In conformance with the tax reforms passed by Congress.

They could have left the original tables in place and made the new table optional. Apparently the Treasury Department wanted to reduce tax refunds when they put the withholding tables in place.
No, Congress passed legislation that made the old tables irrelevant, and Treasury updated the tables to conform with the law. The reason the tax refunds are lower is because less withholding was drawn from their paychecks because of the tax cut they enjoyed, but how can people stupid enough to make interest free loans to the federal government all year be expected to understand that?

Again, the reason the tax refunds are lower is that the people paid less in taxes during the year.

They were not irrelevant. It was a strictly political decision so voters would see the supposed tax cuts in their checks. People have not been impressed. The Treasury could have left the old tables in place and people could have gotten bigger refunds. Then people could have chosen whether they want less or the same amount withheld next year. Instead some people are going to be owing money instead of getting refunds. Again interest rates are still so low that the interest taxpayers are foregoing might not even buy chewing gum.
I'm sure you can find the old tax tables online if you really want to see them, but what you will find is that under the old tables you would have paid more in taxes and therefore would have gotten back more in refunds.

I don't need to look them up as I know that is exactly what would have happened. It might also have been better politics for people to see larger refunds.
If they want to they can see the tax tables online, and they will see they paid less in taxes so their refunds were smaller. I understand you are hard pressed to find some fault with the tax reform that has energized the economy and benefited all Americans, but you do realize you are trying to convince people to feel bad about paying less in taxes, don't you?

Everyone is paying the same as usual, the deductions have changed People in states with no state income tax are better off and people in states with high state income taxes are in for a rude awakening, Need to take it up with your state representatives.

Correct.

The majority of the 8% are from Calif., Jersey, New York and Illinois.

They vote in the assholes that bleed them of their hard-earned money,
that is their problem.

It is mostly because of the limited state and local tax deduction. Last year I was able to deduct $13k but this year the limit is $10k. That being said I also paid a lower tax rate and get a $1.6k child tax credit per child. I ll be doing my taxes next week and see where I come out. What Trump did do was punish the blue states. Where the state and local and RE taxes were super high...like $50k vs my $13k and people used that to lower their Federal Tax burden. This really is a tax on the rich, that the Democrats wanted. I am not sure what they are complaining about.

Another good point re state and local taxes; why give them a Federal tax deduction? They can vote themselves major tax deductions in their own states. No reason for everybody else to help finance their local and state spending, especially states like California and New York. California capped their real estates taxes, a major welfare subsidy for the wealthy, leaving the lower income brackets to make up the difference, and of course their high payroll taxes are ridiculous.

Because it is wrong to require people to pay taxes on taxes. Also California and New York have higher per capita incomes and a higher cost of living. Also states like California and New York get less from the federal government than they pay in taxes while red states get more than they pay in taxes.

Hold on. I am an MD in Indiana. I make $400k/year. My RE taxes are $10k. I am an MD in NY I make $600k per year and my RE taxes are $20k. Why should I get the benefit of writing off an additional $10K? I chose to live in a more expensive house and my salary is 50% higher because of where I live? I am not saying it is right or wrong but I would like to understand your rationale. Thank you.

It is basic fact that if you are in a area that has a higher per capita income then the cost of living is higher. Employers have to pay more to get workers to work there. Sometimes you have no choice but to live in more expensive housing.

It is immoral to force people to pay taxes on taxes.

They aren't paying taxes on taxes? State and local taxes are not the same as federal taxes? Some say it is immoral for the "rich" to pay 90% of the taxes in this country? It is all entirely subjective.

You are dumber than you seem.

People are calculating their taxes. They made about the same as the previous year under the old tax code, they took the same withholding, and they expected a LARGER refund because that's what Trump promised. When many people didn't see any increase in their paycheck when the cuts took effect. Trump said they'd get a big refund from the cuts, but they are now finding that they're paying MORE than they did last year.

People are mad at Trump because HE LIED.
Only a fucking moron depends on their tax return

You're missing the point. People aren't counting on their tax returns.

People are upset because Trump promised them middle class tax cuts, and delivered increases instead.
If you dont like the tax cuts, do what the hollyweird elite promised to do, and move to Canada. See how much of YOUR money, if you actually work, goes to the government and you get nothing in return...Stupid liberals, the most redundant statement of all.
No we don't have to move any place asshole so go fuck yerself. We will stay here and demand change...

You already demanded change. They raised taxes on the rich who live in states with high state and local taxes. Why are you now pissed off at yourself?

They also raised taxes on people who are not rich and live in blue states. The rich got the vast majority of the tax cuts.

It is mostly because of the limited state and local tax deduction. Last year I was able to deduct $13k but this year the limit is $10k. That being said I also paid a lower tax rate and get a $1.6k child tax credit per child. I ll be doing my taxes next week and see where I come out. What Trump did do was punish the blue states. Where the state and local and RE taxes were super high...like $50k vs my $13k and people used that to lower their Federal Tax burden. This really is a tax on the rich, that the Democrats wanted. I am not sure what they are complaining about.

Another good point re state and local taxes; why give them a Federal tax deduction? They can vote themselves major tax deductions in their own states. No reason for everybody else to help finance their local and state spending, especially states like California and New York. California capped their real estates taxes, a major welfare subsidy for the wealthy, leaving the lower income brackets to make up the difference, and of course their high payroll taxes are ridiculous.

Because it is wrong to require people to pay taxes on taxes. Also California and New York have higher per capita incomes and a higher cost of living. Also states like California and New York get less from the federal government than they pay in taxes while red states get more than they pay in taxes.

Hold on. I am an MD in Indiana. I make $400k/year. My RE taxes are $10k. I am an MD in NY I make $600k per year and my RE taxes are $20k. Why should I get the benefit of writing off an additional $10K? I chose to live in a more expensive house and my salary is 50% higher because of where I live? I am not saying it is right or wrong but I would like to understand your rationale. Thank you.

It is basic fact that if you are in a area that has a higher per capita income then the cost of living is higher. Employers have to pay more to get workers to work there. Sometimes you have no choice but to live in more expensive housing.

Lol
Redistribution through taxation is immoral and ridiculously ineffective....

The feces has hit the fan at tax refund time as low and middle-class Americans are finding that Trump has his hand in their pocket and has stolen money from their refunds.

The wealthy are still doing just fine. The lies about the Trump tax cuts is now exposed that the low and middle class are financing the tax cuts for the wealthy people and corporations.

Average Tax Refunds Down 8.4 Percent As Angry Taxpayers Vent On Twitter | HuffPost

headshot
By Mary Papenfuss

Average tax refunds were down last week 8.4 percent for the first week of the tax season over the same time last year, according to the Internal Revenue Service. Dipping refunds are inflaming a growing army of taxpayers stunned by the consequences of the Trump administration’s tax law — and the effects of the partial government shutdown.

The average refund check paid out so far has been $1,865, down from $2,035 at the same point in 2018, according to IRS data. Low-income taxpayers often file early to pocket the money as soon as possible. Many taxpayers count on the refunds to make important payments, or spend the money on things like home repairs, a vacation or a car.

The IRS had estimated it would issue about 2.3 percent fewer refunds this year as a result of the changes in the federal tax law, according to Bloomberg. MSNBC reports that 30 million Americans will owe the IRS money this year — 3 million more than before Trump’s tax law.

“There are going to be a lot of unhappy people over the next month,” Edward Karl of the American Institute of CPAs told Politico. “Taxpayers want a large refund.” Some 71 percent of taxpayers received refunds last year worth about $3,000 on average, according to Karl.

Scads of taxpayers are complaining on Twitter that they have always received a refund — but now owe the IRS instead. ...
I call bullshit on fake news. I'm anything but wealthy. With the tax cut (thank you very much President Trump), it put an extra $100 per month in my pocket. My return this year is $4800 which is up from previous years. Personally, I like winning.

headshot
By Mary Papenfuss

How did our wealthy friends make out?

I don't give a shit how anyone better off than me made out. I did great.

Leftist propaganda is pathetic. They recieved more than that during the year in the increased paychecks. What sort of tard wants the government to hold their money with no interest?

Sadly, most people do. 80% of the country on average receives a refund on their taxes. Most people do not know how much they are paying, they base it all on the size of their refund, they actually brag about how big of a refund they get.

This is not limited to a single party, to pretend it is just shows your own bias.
Are you an idiot? Well, that was a stupid question on my part. Of course they know how much they pay. It's on your tax return. It the difference between what you paid in and what you get back. The portion the government keeps of your income. Why would each citizen NOT know how much they paid?

headshot
By Mary Papenfuss

All those evil rich folks who pay your way took a big hit on their mortgage interest deduction values...The bottom feeding degenerates should be happy...no?

There should have never been a mortgage interest deduction, the tax code should not be used to influence behavior.
LOL I'm betting you were all for the forced behavior of the ACA though weren't you?

They aren't paying taxes on taxes? State and local taxes are not the same as federal taxes? Some say it is immoral for the "rich" to pay 90% of the taxes in this country? It is all entirely subjective.
You are correct state and local taxes are not the same.
The deductions on State and Local taxes you can make on your Federal taxes have changed. Too bad so sad, Tell your state to stop bleeding you dry.

headshot
By Mary Papenfuss

more evidence that these leftists have no idea how taxes work. They don't get it that for eleven months you received 400 a month more from the tax cut received for use throughout the year, that your end of year refund would be minus the 400 times eleven months of received money you could use to invest and actually make more money. Only on the left. wow, the stupid is so powerful with these leftists.

The reason that the tax withholding tables were revamped was because of politics. Republicans wanted to play politics and show people their tax cuts such as they were. The Treasury apparently wanted to reduce or eliminate tax refunds when they revamped the tax tables. It would have been better to leave the old tables in place and let people get their refunds and see if they wanted to reduce their withholding.

Only a fucking moron depends on their tax return

You're missing the point. People aren't counting on their tax returns.

People are upset because Trump promised them middle class tax cuts, and delivered increases instead.
If you dont like the tax cuts, do what the hollyweird elite promised to do, and move to Canada. See how much of YOUR money, if you actually work, goes to the government and you get nothing in return...Stupid liberals, the most redundant statement of all.
No we don't have to move any place asshole so go fuck yerself. We will stay here and demand change...

You already demanded change. They raised taxes on the rich who live in states with high state and local taxes. Why are you now pissed off at yourself?

They also raised taxes on people who are not rich and live in blue states. The rich got the vast majority of the tax cuts.
The only people who paid more taxes are upper income homeowners who live in states with high property taxes. What is sad is that the tax reform along with deregulation has energized the economy so it is now growing at a robust rate and creating new jobs at an astonishing rate, including the largest number of manufacturing jobs since the boom years of the 1990's and the Democrats are opposed to everything that is benefiting all Americans.

headshot
By Mary Papenfuss

Yeah, hood rats won’t be able to check food stamp balance on $1,500 phone while they watch MSNBC on $1,000 TV. They got to go to work sadly. I’m happy though. I came out with alittle something. Typically I don’t get anything.

Trump needs the missing taxpayer refund money to bolster his wealth which is sagging like his ass and jowls.
Apparently, you enjoy embarrassing yourself.

That's funny, coming from a Trump supporter. Everything you voted for is a lie.

The tax cuts are shit, there's no great job waiting for you, coal is not coming back, the Koreans have doubled their nuclear capacity, and there will be no wall.

I got a nice refund, I got a new job at twice the salary and was promoted twice in 2018, coal is coming back because we are selling it to China, the North Koreans have firecrackers, and the wall is being built.

Why do you lie?

The wall will never be built. NK was never a threat to the US. Coal will never come back. It will remain a small part of energy production.
Bwahahahahaha!!!!

The truth is hard for a Trump supporter to accept.

headshot
By Mary Papenfuss

more evidence that these leftists have no idea how taxes work. They don't get it that for eleven months you received 400 a month more from the tax cut received for use throughout the year, that your end of year refund would be minus the 400 times eleven months of received money you could use to invest and actually make more money. Only on the left. wow, the stupid is so powerful with these leftists.

The reason that the tax withholding tables were revamped was because of politics. Republicans wanted to play politics and show people their tax cuts such as they were. The Treasury apparently wanted to reduce or eliminate tax refunds when they revamped the tax tables. It would have been better to leave the old tables in place and let people get their refunds and see if they wanted to reduce their withholding.
but you agree it's a lie to make the statement of the OP right? people got their money during the year and were allowed to invest it. Right? so naturally the refunds will be lower or non-existent, right? has nothing to do with the tax cut. right?

Leftist propaganda is pathetic. They recieved more than that during the year in the increased paychecks. What sort of tard wants the government to hold their money with no interest?

Sadly, most people do. 80% of the country on average receives a refund on their taxes. Most people do not know how much they are paying, they base it all on the size of their refund, they actually brag about how big of a refund they get.

This is not limited to a single party, to pretend it is just shows your own bias.
yep. the size if your refund doesn't have a thing to do with how much you pay in taxes. if you're going to pay 20%, you're going to pay 20%. the size of your refund or how much more you have to pay is based no how much has already been taken out.

yep. the size if your refund doesn't have a thing to do with how much you pay in taxes. if you're going to pay 20%, you're going to pay 20%. the size of your refund or how much more you have to pay is based no how much has already been taken out.
yep, and if you don't adjust the W4 form, then you will get more upfront rather than at filing time. this, this is what the left do, this is a lie, and this is their form of lying daily. amazing how many stupid fking americans there really are in this country. And one can't fix stupid.

Forum List

Back