Titanic tourist submarine goes missing in the Atlantic Ocean

It's 12,500 ft. down, and this is the only sub capable of diving that depth (twice the depth of the Grand Canyon) so I'm wondering if there is not another submersible that can reach the depth of this submersible, how are they going to rescue it?

It's 12,500 ft. down, and this is the only sub capable of diving that depth (twice the depth of the Grand Canyon) so I'm wondering if there is not another submersible that can reach the depth of this submersible, how are they going to rescue it?

13,000 feet of strong steel cable, a really strong winch, hope the thing has an anchor point, and surround it would buoyant materials.

The question is can they get that setup before the air runs out.

It was reported unless i misunderstood that they went silent at 2500 feet. That about 1/2 mile down.

13,000 feet of strong steel cable, a really strong winch, hope the thing has an anchor point, and surround it would buoyant materials.
I think the submersible weighs 23,000 lbs., not to mention I'm not sure you can find 13,000 feet of cable attached to a winch anywhere, and whether or not it could lift such weight from that depth is unlikely. What I don't understand is why this submersible is not equipped with an emergency feature like a buoyancy control vest for scuba divers, which fills with air from your tanks and propels you to the surface.

I think the submersible weighs 23,000 lbs., not to mention I'm not sure you can find 13,000 feet of cable attached to a winch anywhere, and whether or not it could lift such weight from that depth is unlikely. What I don't understand is why this submersible is not equipped with an emergency feature like a buoyancy control vest for scuba divers, which fills with air from your tanks and propels you to the surface.

It could be equipped, but if they had a pressure vessel failure, it wouldn't help.

It could be equipped, but if they had a pressure vessel failure, it wouldn't help.
This sub apparently has lost communications before. TBH, I am not a fan of the design just looking at the photos of it. There seems to be too much unshielded external props and cable on the thing that could get them snagged up in something. I don't see this ending well if they aren't already on the surface, but you never know. Its a tight window. unless they find them on the surface or at the site, they are unlikely to be found in time IMHO.

Alvin can dive that deep, and there is another crewed DSV called Limiting Factor that can dive full ocean depth. There are a few ROV's in service that could possibly attach a rescue cable.

Even if the sub returned to the surface, the divers can't escape without an outside crew to unbolt the hatch. The ocean is a big place, and finding a tiny sub that's bobbing at the surface isn't exactly easy either.

Mounting a rescue operation at that depth is no trivial thing. They had 96 hours of life support. Hope they get them back, it doesn't seem like the chances are that good.

There was a mention that it is lodged in the titanic wreckage. They've got about 60 hours of oxygen left. These alleged 4 on-board are tourists. People are stupid.

I did not look into the news today yet -

I wonder whether there are any news in this case - good or bad ....

If I remember correctly deep diving subs like this have jettisonable ballast. Dump it and you have instant positive buoyancy.

What might have gone wrong?​

It is too early to say what has happened but experts have offered several of the most likely scenarios, from becoming tangled in wreckage of the Titanic, to a power failure or an issue with the sub’s communications system.

What we know about the tourist submarine that disappeared on an expedition to the Titanic wreck​

I did not look into the news today yet -

I wonder whether there are any news in this case - good or bad ....
They've admitted that the 'sub' could have lost oxygen. Basically....they don't know where it is. how. stupid.

Forum List

Back