To those saying flipping burgers or dunking fries deserves 15.00 per hour...

Status
Not open for further replies.
But let's say you don't think like that; anybody can do his job, so you hire a CEO for about one million a year. In the meantime, I find out about your rejection and I hire that CEO for 10 million a year, and then we take away your business and you have to close down.

Except the CEO isn't really that important. Jesus Christ, I've never met a CEO who wasn't full of himself, never met one who even knew what we did on a day to day basis.

Companies work well only if the employees are motivated and committed. The Japanese and Germans get this. Their CEO's don't make anything near what ours make, but their work forces are more unionized, and better motivated, and better educated than ours are.

But dun, der, Cleetus I don't dun der need to learn nothin' from dem der fur-hen-nurs.

Don't you find it odd that Aldis can come to America and sell their food for substantially less than the American grocery chains? And, around here, while Kroger, Ingles, and Publix are paying $8.50 an hour, Aldis is paying $12.00 an hour?

In Georgia, we have this program that is like Medicare for the children of underemployed workers. It's called Peachcare. The children of Walmart employees are the biggest group represented in this program while the children of Publix employees are the next biggest group of recipients. The overwhelming majority Aldis employees get paid too much to qualify.

So, if we don't insure that these underemployed people get a livable paycheck, they will get the balance in welfare, Peachcare, AFDC, etc., etc.

Why? Because they choose to not better themselves, you think others should pick up their slack when they can’t afford it, because of their lack of ambition. That employer worked his butt off to be able to afford his franchise, works his butt off to be able to keep it open, and he has no responsibility to carry the water for an employee that won’t even put in the effort to do more than flip a burger. If they want more, then they better do more.

Give it a rest, guy. I never saw a "Franchise owner' who worked his butt off. It's the burger flipping kids who do all the work. They should get a fair wage for doing it. Maybe $15.00 is too much. But something that is reasonably fair, and that's not $7.25.

Frankly, I've seen so much bad behavior by business owners in the last 25 years that I kind of have no sympathy for them when the government screws them.

This lack of empathy from the right always enrages me. Most people would love to not work at McDonalds. Most people working in the service industry don't do it because they love it. They do it because they need money and food.

Life deals people bad cards sometimes. A lot of people have family responsibilities, illness and other circumstances that are out of their hands.

Fast food workers just don't flip burgers. They work long hours, deal with shitty customers and sub par pay.

The current minimum wage doesn't even allow to pay towards something better. The minimum wage isn't livable.

I have my own question along these lines:

A month or so ago I needed a pressure relief valve replaced on my water heater. A plumber came and looked at it when I already knew what was wrong. I asked him to tell me over the phone what it would cost to do the job, but nooo... he's got to see it.

When he tells me what I already knew, he went to his van and forty minutes later, he comes back with an estimate of $275. He charged $40 just to look at it.

I got a 70 year old handyman to help and we changed it out in under half an hour and all he wanted was $30. The part cost $16. I had to hook up the water hose to the water heater and drain it out while the handyman got a pipe wrench out of his truck. By the time I got the water hose unhooked and put away, he was finished.

So, why do we think that a skill set that takes six months to learn is worth a surgeon's wages, but balk at paying MickeyDs workers for their time?

But let's say you don't think like that; anybody can do his job, so you hire a CEO for about one million a year. In the meantime, I find out about your rejection and I hire that CEO for 10 million a year, and then we take away your business and you have to close down.

Except the CEO isn't really that important. Jesus Christ, I've never met a CEO who wasn't full of himself, never met one who even knew what we did on a day to day basis.

Companies work well only if the employees are motivated and committed. The Japanese and Germans get this. Their CEO's don't make anything near what ours make, but their work forces are more unionized, and better motivated, and better educated than ours are.

But dun, der, Cleetus I don't dun der need to learn nothin' from dem der fur-hen-nurs.

Most decisions made by CEOs are not Succeed or Fail
Most are either Option A or Option B with either option making money

The CEO takes credit for selecting the correct option regardless of the outcome

View attachment 164037

Even McDonald's acknowledges that their business was intended for children.
Holding businesses that are created with the employment of kids & college students responsible for the poor choices people make in life is wrong. If you're in your mid to late 20's or higher & working for minimum wage you have no one to blame but yourself. You're poor choices should not result in a 10.00 Big Mac or 4 dollar fry.

I'm a Johnny Come Lately to your thread; however, before seeing what others said, I wanted to give my .02 cents worth

I see both sides of this.

McDonalds should be mostly kids and younger people, displaced workers, etc. That still does not mean that Mickey Ds should not pay their help. I remember hearing about the walk-outs and workers saying that their pay increases could be accomplished with a mere 15 cents per meal increase. The REAL reason, IMO, that MickeyDs wouldn't do that is that they won't raise the cost of a meal without putting more money into stockholders pockets.

Unfortunately in America people who merely invest think that they should be entitled to an increase every time the price of a meal goes up. Meanwhile the people who give up their nights, week-ends and holidays have to subsist on meager wages that would send a ditch digger on strike.

I've heard the arguments before. If you want a better job... Spare me. Some people are mentally and / or emotionally challenged and won't be graduating from Harvard or Yale. It really bothers me that the rich sit on their ass, drawing big salaries, and wailing about having to pay their workers for working. MickeyDs will soon be automated and then you can choose to be loyal to their artery clogging, calorie laden, heart stopping burgers or start living a healthy lifestyle.

Personally, I'm leaning toward a boycott.

The price of beef just went through a huge increase
The price of a McDonalds burger skyrocketed, yet they did not go out of business

But if McDonalds has to pay more for those who make that burger, Conservatives come to their rescue

feedlot%204.PNG

A month or so ago I needed a pressure relief valve replaced on my water heater. A plumber came and looked at it when I already knew what was wrong. I asked him to tell me over the phone what it would cost to do the job, but nooo... he's got to see it.

When he tells me what I already knew, he went to his van and forty minutes later, he comes back with an estimate of $275. He charged $40 just to look at it.

I got a 70 year old handyman to help and we changed it out in under half an hour and all he wanted was $30. The part cost $16. I had to hook up the water hose to the water heater and drain it out while the handyman got a pipe wrench out of his truck. By the time I got the water hose unhooked and put away, he was finished.

So, why do we think that a skill set that takes six months to learn is worth a surgeon's wages, but balk at paying MickeyDs workers for their time?

I think it's a matter of urgency. they know that if you are calling about something in your home, it's probably kind of an emergency, and if you aren't happy with their price, they probably figure you aren't going to shop around for another provider.

I provide a service where providers charge anywhere from $60.00 to $300.00. The $300.00 guys don't really provide any better service, but they have fancier operations than I have- offices, large advertising budgets, and so on.

View attachment 164037

Even McDonald's acknowledges that their business was intended for children.
Holding businesses that are created with the employment of kids & college students responsible for the poor choices people make in life is wrong. If you're in your mid to late 20's or higher & working for minimum wage you have no one to blame but yourself. You're poor choices should not result in a 10.00 Big Mac or 4 dollar fry.

Kids have been shut out of these jobs by illegal aliens.

:rofl:

it isn't kids working at these jobs anymore. not since rightwignuts crashed the economy last time.

DERP.

You're an idiot, I'll grant you that.

It isn't kids working these jobs since the Communists opened the borders and the illegals took their jobs.
Let's hire management from the third world.

People working for a living deserve a living wage.

If they choose to fry flip, sorry but no. The work is not valuable.

If they choose to better themselves through education or work experience and raise their value to potential employers, fine.

You just proved the point against minimum wage. You had the work performed buy someone willing to accept less money.

If they choose to better themselves through education or work experience and raise their value to potential employers, fine.

If you eat at a fast food place, you place a value on the meal. If nobody were there to take your order on nights, week-ends and holidays, you'd suddenly decide how valuable it is to have people there for you when you need them.

You'll pay higher prices at a convenience store to keep from driving an extra mile down the road and paying substantially less, but make a big deal out of paying a little more for a burger so that some child don't end up on welfare, costing you even more????????????????

You just proved the point against minimum wage. You had the work performed buy someone willing to accept less money.

He worked for less money, but he was paid for his services.

BTW, I don't think minimum wage is the answer. I think the answer lies in local control.

If someone came to a county and wanted a business license, I think that the county commission could say no if the business were not willing to pay their workers.

If the employer creates a job, but isn't going to pay people enough to maintain that area's standard of living, they should not be granted a business permit.

BTW, I don't think minimum wage is the answer. I think the answer lies in local control.

If someone came to a county and wanted a business license, I think that the county commission could say no if the business were not willing to pay their workers.

If the employer creates a job, but isn't going to pay people enough to maintain that area's standard of living, they should not be granted a business permit.

I think that county commissioners would sell out their low skilled workers for a chance at additional tax revenue
Build in our county and we will ensure low cost labor

If you eat at a fast food place, you place a value on the meal. If nobody were there to take your order on nights, week-ends and holidays, you'd suddenly decide how valuable it is to have people there for you when you need them.

Nope. I would simply find some other means to feed myself on nights, weekends and holidays.

You'll pay higher prices at a convenience store to keep from driving an extra mile down the road and paying substantially less, but make a big deal out of paying a little more for a burger so that some child don't end up on welfare, costing you even more????????????????

Indeed. "Give me convenience or give me death." However, an employer has to decide - the employer, not some government flunky with a social chip on his shoulder - what the work is worth in terms of profitability and business growth. The employee - again not some government flunky - has to decide if the wage offered for the level of work is acceptable, or not.

If not, they can simply go elsewhere.

I think it's a matter of urgency. they know that if you are calling about something in your home, it's probably kind of an emergency, and if you aren't happy with their price, they probably figure you aren't going to shop around for another provider.

I provide a service where providers charge anywhere from $60.00 to $300.00. The $300.00 guys don't really provide any better service, but they have fancier operations than I have- offices, large advertising budgets, and so on.

Lots of people think that some jobs are worth an obscene amount of money though those jobs don't require a lot of experience or a great deal of knowledge. Painters, landscape workers, plumbers, and building simple decks don't take a great deal of knowledge.

But, let's face it: the guys doing it feel that they are worth unrealistic paychecks and when they don't get it because some other guy does it cheaper, they will wail about "illegal aliens," scabs, handymen without a license / permits, etc. They do what is necessary to keep their prices artificially inflated and we turn a blind eye to that while worrying about those who make less than your babysitter.

Extortion.

I think that county commissioners would sell out their low skilled workers for a chance at additional tax revenue
Build in our county and we will ensure low cost labor

You have a point there, but it is largely because the citizenry don't pay attention to what their county commission is doing.

County commissioners are known to condemn private property and put the mom and pop stores out of business in order to get Walmart in town. Then Walmart pays junk wages and increases the number of poor in that county. The tax commissioners only worry about taxes (they call it revenue.) The workers need to focus their efforts on county commissioners.

Indeed. "Give me convenience or give me death." However, an employer has to decide - the employer, not some government flunky with a social chip on his shoulder - what the work is worth in terms of profitability and business growth. The employee - again not some government flunky - has to decide if the wage offered for the level of work is acceptable, or not.

So if the employer decides to keep a bunch of illegal aliens in his basement as slave labor, that's okay, too. Wouldn't want some government flunky telling him that's wrong.

Um. No. We have minimum wage laws for a good reason. We need to increase it.

So if the employer decides to keep a bunch of illegal aliens in his basement as slave labor, that's okay, too. Wouldn't want some government flunky telling him that's wrong.

Um. No. We have minimum wage laws for a good reason. We need to increase it.

You conflate two disparate issues, as is your frequent practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back