Tolerance? Not for Christians...

Great posts by people you agree with. I thought we were having a discussion and all sides would be considered. I have knocked myself out posting ACA and APA guidelines and information about how to counsel gays and lesbians. Clearly, Ms Keeton is unwilling to meet the ethics of the counseling profession.

However, up until the post that I am now quoting, you have not yet shown a hairs breadth of evidence that Ms. Keeton would violate any of those guidelines. You keep claiming that she would and that she has said she would, but none of the articles about this case have actually said that.

I am beginning to think that you guys think she is a liar for no other reason than that she is a Christian.

Immie

But SkyDancer did post that - in Keeton's own words, she said: “[Y]ou are requiring me to alter my objective beliefs and also to commit now that if I ever may have a client who wants me to affirm their decision to have an abortion or engage in gay, lesbian, or transgender behavior, I will do that. I can’t alter my biblical beliefs, and I will not affirm the morality of those behaviors in a counseling situation.”

Sky then posted the guidelines pertaining to it.

Does Keeton deny saying that?

Apparently, Keeton is the only one making some of these claims - they do not seem substantiated by her peers at school, or any of the school faculty or staff. It seems she is not being totally honest and it has nothing to do with her being Christian or not, but with the evidence presented thus far.
Since when are counselors required to cite their support any choice a client makes? That is not something that is required of any counselor. They are requiring it of THIS student because she's a Christian and made the horrific mistake of openly espousing Christian values.

The school should lose all financial support from the state and the feds.

The school is following the guidelines of the APA and ACA. All students must follow these standards. Ms Keeton is no exception.

The issue is not about the right of religious students to hold whatever beliefs they have, but over the right of a professional degree program to enforce requirements that are rooted in a sense of the field's needs and a commitment to equity.

This is about behaviors that are appropriate or not appropriate within counseling. The university's policies are consistent with the ethics code of the American Counseling Association. The university's counseling programs couldn't keep its accreditation while ignoring the code.

Keeton knew the university's curricular goal of teaching students to counsel without imposing their personal values on their clients by setting up boundaries so as not to be judgmental.

But she is finding it more...er...satisfying to play the martyr now.

Keeton notes that the professors told her that they wanted her to change her view that her moral system was right for everybody. She was told that what they wanted her to do was change to a position that while her moral views may be fine for her, she should not expect others to conform to those views.

Frankly, I think Keeton is a pawn in the Alliance Defense Fund's game.

Here's a link to Keeton's complaint:
http://www.telladf.org/userdocs/KeetonComplaint.pdf

Here is Keeton's own words:

"I think the Bible’s teaching is true for all people, and it shows the right way to live."

Here is her professors response:

" I do not expect you to change your personal beliefs and values. What is the issue is if you believe your personal beliefs and values should be the same beliefs and values for all people. This is the unethical part—applying your own personal beliefs and values on other people and not truly accepting that others can have different beliefs and values that are equally valid as your own."

Thoughts can't be unethical, Sky.

And neither you nor anyone else, including professors, are allowed to punish people based on their thoughts.

And not only that..."applying your own personal beliefs and values on other people" ... does that include telling someone their beliefs are wrong? Because that's exactly what is being done here. She's not allowed to think or say she believes her religion is the one religion.

What utter horseshit. I'll stand by and wait for all the Muslims to be evicted from schools now. Of course that won't happen. Because it's not about religion, it's about Christianity.

Unless you can show that she has not passed the courses to date, then I would say she has met the qualifications, although, it seems apparent that the school will not let her graduate. I have a feeling that her chances of passing any future courses are slim to none. You can guarantee that those professors are not going to let her pass now.

The school needs to lose its accreditation now! Until it can prove that it will treat all students fairly.

Immie

The school is following the guidelines of the APA and ACA. All students must follow these standards. Ms Keeton is no exception.

The issue is not about the right of religious students to hold whatever beliefs they have, but over the right of a professional degree program to enforce requirements that are rooted in a sense of the field's needs and a commitment to equity.

This is about behaviors that are appropriate or not appropriate within counseling. The university's policies are consistent with the ethics code of the American Counseling Association. The university's counseling programs couldn't keep its accreditation while ignoring the code.

Keeton knew the university's curricular goal of teaching students to counsel without imposing their personal values on their clients by setting up boundaries so as not to be judgmental.

She never said she'd impose her personal values on clients. There's no indication she would, any more than a Hindu would or a Muslim would or a Buddhist would. She shared her beliefs, and in this day and age Christians have to be very careful about doing that.

This stems from an ethical foundation regarding any type of patient interaction, including mental health fields such as counseling. This issue has nothing to do with Christianity, although it's apparent that people are trying to make it a freedom of religion issue. This has to do with the accuracy a health care provider offers to patients.

She is not being expelled because of her personal beliefs. She is being expelled because those personal beliefs are negatively affecting her performance and ability to be an effective unbiased mental health care provider. Freedom of religion does not grant a free pass to do anything that is desired. This is why you generally don't see too many employees of best buy try to convince you to upgrade to a larger TV as well as allow Jesus into your heart.

You can't just start practicing medicine because your own personal religious beliefs say so. A doctor cannot forgo known medical solutions to instead recommend prayer. A counselor can NOT impose their personal beliefs, religious or otherwise, onto a patient, ESPECIALLY if those beliefs are incorrect, unsubstantiated, and otherwise misleading. That is not the role of an accredited counselor. Self-titled "life coaches" can push their clients any way they deem fit, but counselors are meant to help reach solutions within the belief system of THEIR PATIENTS, not themselves.

She never said she'd impose her personal values on clients. There's no indication she would, any more than a Hindu would or a Muslim would or a Buddhist would. She shared her beliefs, and in this day and age Christians have to be very careful about doing that.

poor_oppressed_christians.gif

Cut the martyr crap, you know damn well this isn't about her being a Christian.

This stems from an ethical foundation regarding any type of patient interaction, including mental health fields such as counseling. This issue has nothing to do with Christianity, although it's apparent that people are trying to make it a freedom of religion issue. This has to do with the accuracy a health care provider offers to patients.

She is not being expelled because of her personal beliefs. She is being expelled because those personal beliefs are negatively affecting her performance and ability to be an effective unbiased mental health care provider. Freedom of religion does not grant a free pass to do anything that is desired. This is why you generally don't see too many employees of best buy try to convince you to upgrade to a larger TV as well as allow Jesus into your heart.

You can't just start practicing medicine because your own personal religious beliefs say so. A doctor cannot forgo known medical solutions to instead recommend prayer. A counselor can NOT impose their personal beliefs, religious or otherwise, onto a patient, ESPECIALLY if those beliefs are incorrect, unsubstantiated, and otherwise misleading. That is not the role of an accredited counselor. Self-titled "life coaches" can push their clients any way they deem fit, but counselors are meant to help reach solutions within the belief system of THEIR PATIENTS, not themselves.

Please provide evidence of her personal beliefs negatively affecting anyone, or evidence that they affected her performance and how.

You won't. I've been asking for that evidence since the creation of this thread. And for all that loons keep squawking "it's about her PERFORMANCE" and "it's about the NEGATIVE IMPACT she has had" and insisting it has nothing to do with her faith, not ONE person has provided any evidence of that negative impact or any performance impairment. It comes down to the bigoted belief that because she's a CHRISTIAN she must be required to recant her faith, or be denied her degree.

Last edited:
PS...and while you're at it, please PROVE that homosexuality is anything other than a choice.

You won't because it has never been proven.

PS...and while you're at it, please PROVE that homosexuality is anything other than a choice.

I know I'm arguing with a plant, but here goes anyways:
First of all, how many gays have you ever heard say that they chose to be gay? Any?
Second, so you're choosing to be hetero and could be gay if you wanted to?
Third, you also can't prove that it is a choice.
Fourth, They're actually looking for differences in the brain, I don't know where their at, but at least they're looking, not just getting their info from a 1500 year old book.
Fifth, I think that you need some fertilizer.

However, up until the post that I am now quoting, you have not yet shown a hairs breadth of evidence that Ms. Keeton would violate any of those guidelines. You keep claiming that she would and that she has said she would, but none of the articles about this case have actually said that.

I am beginning to think that you guys think she is a liar for no other reason than that she is a Christian.

Immie

But SkyDancer did post that - in Keeton's own words, she said: “[Y]ou are requiring me to alter my objective beliefs and also to commit now that if I ever may have a client who wants me to affirm their decision to have an abortion or engage in gay, lesbian, or transgender behavior, I will do that. I can’t alter my biblical beliefs, and I will not affirm the morality of those behaviors in a counseling situation.”

Apparently, Keeton is the only one making some of these claims - they do not seem substantiated by her peers at school, or any of the school faculty or staff. It seems she is not being totally honest and it has nothing to do with her being Christian or not, but with the evidence presented thus far.
Since when are counselors required to cite their support any choice a client makes? That is not something that is required of any counselor. They are requiring it of THIS student because she's a Christian and made the horrific mistake of openly espousing Christian values.

She has no business openly espousing her Christian values in a counseling session with a gay or lesbian client.

She want's to proselytize in a counseling session. People don't go to counseling sessions to be converted to Christianity.

Last edited:

First of all, how many gays have you ever heard say that they chose to be gay? Any?
Fourth, They're actually looking for differences in the brain, I don't know where their at, but at least they're looking, not just getting their info from a 1500 year old book.

Loon.
Go ahead and prove it. Otherwise, you're just yapping.

Loon.

You prove it. Prove that your heterosexuality is a choice. At what age did you choose to be heterosexual?

Prove that it's a choice. Is being heterosexual a choice for you Allie?

Absolutely.

My point is, it's idiotic to required people adhere to publicly support an unproved theory as a condition of receiving a degree in any field. Even the non-scientific and constantly changing field of psychology.

Loon.

You prove it. Prove that your heterosexuality is a choice. At what age did you choose to be heterosexual?

At the age you choose to have sex.

Absolutely.

My point is, it's idiotic to required people adhere to publicly support an unproved theory as a condition of receiving a degree in any field. Even the non-scientific and constantly changing field of psychology.

Well then if you want to campaign to change the ethics of the entire counseling field have at it. That's what the Alliance Defense Fund seeks. To make Christianity the ethics of the counseling field. And not just Christianity, but the narrow kind that Ms Keeton practices.

Plenty of Christians love and accept gay people. Keeton does not. What Keeton wants to do would be harmful to gay and lesbian clients.

The ethics of the profession say do no harm.

A.4.a. Avoiding Harm

Counselors act to avoid harming their clients, trainees, and research participants
and to minimize or to remedy unavoidable or unanticipated harm.

Last edited:
Ah...so if I pay for an education, I should automatically get the credentials EVEN IF I don't meet the qualifications of finishing that credential?

Unless you can show that she has not passed the courses to date, then I would say she has met the qualifications, although, it seems apparent that the school will not let her graduate. I have a feeling that her chances of passing any future courses are slim to none. You can guarantee that those professors are not going to let her pass now.

The school needs to lose its accreditation now! Until it can prove that it will treat all students fairly.

Immie

In case you do not understand the school is not the APA.

And I highly doubt that the written curriculum for the school stated anything at all about having to discard one's faith prior to graduation nor I am sure did it state anything at all about not imposing one's personal values on their client by setting up boundaries so as not to be judgmental. Although, anyone that wanted to be a counselor would know that is inappropriate and would not attempt to do so.

I hate to say it, but the fact is that despite you and Coyote insisting repeatedly throughout these threads, there is not a shred of evidence that Ms. Keeton would not provide very professional counseling to anyone.

You two can continue to insist that this is the case, but you have not proven it to be so.

She has no business openly espousing her Christian values in a counseling session with a gay or lesbian client.

She want's to proselytize in a counseling session. People don't go to counseling sessions to be converted to Christianity.

She never said she would espouse her faith upon others.

Again, you can keep repeating this inaccurate statement that she plans on proselytizing but the only people you will convince are people that have not and will not read the articles.

Immie

Immie

In case you do not understand the school is not the APA.

And I highly doubt that the written curriculum for the school stated anything at all about having to discard one's faith prior to graduation nor I am sure did it state anything at all about not imposing one's personal values on their client by setting up boundaries so as not to be judgmental. Although, anyone that wanted to be a counselor would know that is inappropriate and would not attempt to do so.

I hate to say it, but the fact is that despite you and Coyote insisting repeatedly throughout these threads, there is not a shred of evidence that Ms. Keeton would not provide very professional counseling to anyone.

You two can continue to insist that this is the case, but you have not proven it to be so.

She never said she would espouse her faith upon others.

Again, you can keep repeating this inaccurate statement that she plans on proselytizing but the only people you will convince are people that have not and will not read the articles.

Immie

The counseling program abides by both the ACA and the APA guidelines. Ms Keeton's own words tell the true story.

She said she could not affirm a gay or lesbian's lifestyle. A client does not go to see a counselor to be condemned as wrong for who he or she happens to love.

Absolutely.

Well then if you want to campaign to change the ethics of the entire counseling field have at it. That's what the Alliance Defense Fund seeks. To make Christianity the ethics of the counseling field. And not just Christianity, but the narrow kind that Ms Keeton practices.

Plenty of Christians love and accept gay people. Keeton does not. What Keeton wants to do would be harmful to gay and lesbian clients.

A.4.a. Avoiding Harm

Counselors act to avoid harming their clients, trainees, and research participants

So when did Miss Keaton harm her clients?

She didn't.

Where is the evidence that she wants to do anything that is harmful?

There is none.

It's in your head, Sky. Just like your sexual orientation.

Absolutely.

A.4.a. Avoiding Harm

So when did Miss Keaton harm her clients?

The Preamble to the ASCA document additionally states that Professional school counselors . . . subscrib[e] to the following tenets of professional
responsibility:

· Each person has the right to be respected, be treated with dignity and have access to a comprehensive school counseling program that advocates for and
affirms all students from diverse populations regardless of ethnic/racial status, age, economic status, special needs, English as a second language or other
language group, immigration status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity/expression, family type, religious/spiritual identity and appearance.

Keeton has stated she doesn't respect homosexuality. She condemns it as wrong and cannot affirm the lifestyle of gay and lesbian clients.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back