Top 10 reasons to NOT talk to the cops.

The only thing you need to say is this:

"Am I in custody? I want a lawyer."

Then of course you will be promptly put in handcuffs and hauled away. But, your rights will be preserved.

Numbers 3 and 5 are particularly hazardous to innocent people.

It all depends on why the police are talking to me.

If I am pulled over at some checkpoint, I immediately hand over my DL and CCW Permit. They are taped together so that one can't get "accidently" dropped and lost. There is also a copy of the 4th Amendment there along with a written statement that I won't answer any questions and refuse to give permission to search my vehicle or any items under my control.

If pulled over along the highway for speeding, I hand over the DL and CCW. I cooperate as much as possible until they ask to search the car, then I refuse to allow such a search.

If I am at work and the police are asking questions about a customer or potential customer, I fully cooperate.

I have not been a suspect in a crime in over 30 years.... so I would hope that I would simply ask for a lawyer, declare that I refuse to answer any questions.

Wow, what a bunch of lunatics and paranoids.

99% of people who encounter a cop as a suspect in an incident are due to TRAFFIC incidents, like speeding, since 99% of people are very law abiding citizens. Traffic enforcement is a necessary evil, and not a big deal.

The people who bitch about "DONT TALK TO THE COPS" are confusing to me. See....you can talk all you want. And unless there is evidence of a CRIME, you have nothing to worry about.

Not carrying drugs? Got no warrants? Not carrying an illegal gun? Didnt steal or rape or kill anything?

Then you got nothing to worry about. Hell, talk the cops ear off until he's tired of hearing you.

But the #1 reason to not talk to cops? Because you are tying up his time that could be better spent investigating one of the many crimes that AnCapAtheist has committed.

Wow. Dont talk because you must "cover your ass"?? From what? Being a Dallas Cowboys fan? If you haven't committed a crime, you cant incriminate yourself on anything. Jesus folks.

• Banned
Wow.. an "I hate cops" thread by the poseur anarchist....

What a shock!! :rolleyes:
Not talking to the cops isn't hate...It's known as covering your ass.
There is a reason I have idiots like Diamond on ignore.

99% of people who encounter a cop as a suspect in an incident are due to TRAFFIC incidents, like speeding, since 99% of people are very law abiding citizens. Traffic enforcement is a necessary evil, and not a big deal.

The people who bitch about "DONT TALK TO THE COPS" are confusing to me. See....you can talk all you want. And unless there is evidence of a CRIME, you have nothing to worry about.

Not carrying drugs? Got no warrants? Not carrying an illegal gun? Didnt steal or rape or kill anything?

Then you got nothing to worry about. Hell, talk the cops ear off until he's tired of hearing you.

But the #1 reason to not talk to cops? Because you are tying up his time that could be better spent investigating one of the many crimes that AnCapAtheist has committed.

Wow. Dont talk because you must "cover your ass"?? From what? Being a Dallas Cowboys fan? If you haven't committed a crime, you cant incriminate yourself on anything. Jesus folks.
Glad you have never had a cop railroad you or at least try to....happens every day...whatever you say can be used against you even if you think its some innocent and has nothing to do with the situation so better to be safe than sorry.

First line of the article:

If the police are talking to you, it’s because they suspect you have committed a crime.
This is a ridiculous statement.

I've spoken to the Police many, many times. I have never been a suspect in a crime.

If the police are talking to you, it’s because they suspect you have committed a crime.

I've spoken to the Police many, many times. I have never been a suspect in a crime.
That is a ridiculous statement...You have no idea what the police suspect or don't suspect...You are not a mind reader.

If the police are talking to you, they are gathering evidence....That is what they do....That evidence may end up being used against you.

That make you feel better?

That is a ridiculous statement...You have no idea what the police suspect or don't suspect...You are not a mind reader.

If the police are talking to you, they are gathering evidence....That is what they do....That evidence may end up being used against you.

This is also a ridiculous statement.

"Gathering evidence" is not all of what police do.

Who said "ALL of what police do"?

They do a lot of other things....Like pretend that they are your friend.

But mostly, they gather evidence for later court proceedings.

I can't really see this as anything other than different life experiences.

I've broken my share of laws in my life, and almost all my experiences with police have actually been fairly pleasant and positive. I don't have any police horror stories - the police that I see and encounter every day are kind, nice people who go out of their way to help.

#3 is true - you should never lie, because if you do, they will use it against you.

The rest is paranoia.

I can't really see this as anything other than different life experiences.

I've broken my share of laws in my life, and almost all my experiences with police have actually been fairly pleasant and positive. I don't have any police horror stories - the police that I see and encounter every day are kind, nice people who go out of their way to help.

It would seem so.

It all depends on why the police are talking to me.

If I am pulled over at some checkpoint, I immediately hand over my DL and CCW Permit. They are taped together so that one can't get "accidently" dropped and lost. There is also a copy of the 4th Amendment there along with a written statement that I won't answer any questions and refuse to give permission to search my vehicle or any items under my control.

If pulled over along the highway for speeding, I hand over the DL and CCW. I cooperate as much as possible until they ask to search the car, then I refuse to allow such a search.

If I am at work and the police are asking questions about a customer or potential customer, I fully cooperate.

I have not been a suspect in a crime in over 30 years.... so I would hope that I would simply ask for a lawyer, declare that I refuse to answer any questions.

I know quite a few lawyers that advise you to stop your car, turn it off, get out of it and lock it, then place the keys on the roof of the car. This removes all pretexts of them searching the car subsequent to an arrest, and is completely legal even if they demand you stay in the car.

Tell me something, why do you think defense lawyers, judges, prosecutors, and even cops, are all crazy? Every single one of them will tell you the same thing, don't talk to a cop. In fact, it is actually against union rules for cops to talk to cops unless they have a union rep, and quite a few departments have a clause in their contract that they cannot talk to an officer involved in a shooting, even with a lawyer, for 48 hours.

Think about that the next time you think it is perfectly fine to talk to a cop who is investigating a crime you had nothing to do with.

#3 is true - you should never lie, because if you do, they will use it against you.

The rest is paranoia.

Guess what, you are wrong.

Here is a video of the lawyer talking to a bunch of law students about the issue, and then inviting a cop who is also a student up to refute what he says.

The cop agreed with him 100%.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc]Dont Talk to Police - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back