Train Derailment in Seattle Area

Shows why we need more investment in our infrastructure

Our rail infrastructure is among the worst in the free world

But it doesn't matter because a long-distance passenger rail service will NEVER make money in America. Our population density is too low and the physical distances are so great, the airline industry has a massive hegemony on commercial, interstate travel that railroads couldn't even begin to touch.

I was on Amtrak a few years ago and it was only slightly cheaper than flying. I call Amtrak the "rolling hippo wagon" because it caters to morbidly obese human-hippo passengers who can't fit into narrow airplane seats. Amtrak's coach seats have twice the space and legroom of airplanes, so it's good for people who are "an island unto themselves." But nobody else.

Anything that saves all the frickin' hassle of airports (and airport shuttles/cabs, and TSA, and lost luggage etc) is a positive. A train goes from downtown to downtown. Or little Podunk in between. Plane can't do that.

I'm not talking about commuter train travel within a certain local area, which DOES make money. I'm saying that long-distance, interstate train travel is completely dwarfed by the airline industry and will never make money. Amtrak has not made one penny of profit since it started in the early '70s. And yes, there is plenty of small, propeller airplane travel from one podunk town airport to another. There are so many thousands of commercial airline flights in this country every day compared to the handful of Amtrak trains. There's no comparison between commercial aviation and commercial train travel.

Yes, I knew what you meant the first time and I meant the same thing. I've traveled a lot and trust me, if I have a choice between plane and train and the distance is manageable, the train's a no-brainer. All those flight times don't take into account all the time travelling to and from each airport plus all that time waiting around for TSA lines and flight delays and whatever else, none of which applies to trains.

When my company wants to send me to Nashville I tell them, just give me what you would have spent on a plane and I'll drive it (it's a bit over 300 miles). And when I do that I get there at least as quick as I would have on the plane once all that other shit is figured in. The plane trip itself is only an hour --- it's all that other shit that adds up.

Sadly there aren't passenger trains around here any more. There used to be --- and there are still tracks but they're only used for industrial shit. If I want to get on a train I've got to hitch a ride for 100 miles.

We just had 8 years of liberal taking care of it. How many billions did Obama set aside for taking care of infrustructore?
sending Billions to illegal aliens was more important

Link?

Go fuck yourself.
You really didn't pay attention to Obama's presidency, did ya?

We just had 8 years of liberal taking care of it. How many billions did Obama set aside for taking care of infrustructore?
Congress controls spending and dems have only had control 4 out of the past 20 years. Repugs are too busy handing money out to the rich, corporations, and military contractors than to worry about mundane things like infrastructure.

Congress controls spending and dems have only had control 4 out of the past 20 years. Repugs are too busy handing money out to the rich, corporations, and military contractors than to worry about mundane things like infrastructure.
Obama put aside those billions, before republicans took over. Also you want to go there? While democrats controlled both houses, and the money. We were in the worst economic times since the great depression. Obama's own words, but by liberal history. Obama did his best in the last 6 years. When republicans had control. So, thanks for proving life is better under Republican leadership.

The tracks were upgraded-

As owners of the corridor, Sound Transit managed the track upgrade work under an agreement with WSDOT," the WSDOT statement read. "Funding for the upgrades was provided by the Federal Railroad Administration, which reviewed work throughout the duration of the contract. Today was the first day of public use of the tracks, after weeks of inspecting and testing."
At least 6 dead after Amtrak train derails over I-5

They are suspecting an object on the tracks.

But it doesn't matter because a long-distance passenger rail service will NEVER make money in America. Our population density is too low and the physical distances are so great, the airline industry has a massive hegemony on commercial, interstate travel that railroads couldn't even begin to touch.

I was on Amtrak a few years ago and it was only slightly cheaper than flying. I call Amtrak the "rolling hippo wagon" because it caters to morbidly obese human-hippo passengers who can't fit into narrow airplane seats. Amtrak's coach seats have twice the space and legroom of airplanes, so it's good for people who are "an island unto themselves." But nobody else.

Anything that saves all the frickin' hassle of airports (and airport shuttles/cabs, and TSA, and lost luggage etc) is a positive. A train goes from downtown to downtown. Or little Podunk in between. Plane can't do that.

I'm not talking about commuter train travel within a certain local area, which DOES make money. I'm saying that long-distance, interstate train travel is completely dwarfed by the airline industry and will never make money. Amtrak has not made one penny of profit since it started in the early '70s. And yes, there is plenty of small, propeller airplane travel from one podunk town airport to another. There are so many thousands of commercial airline flights in this country every day compared to the handful of Amtrak trains. There's no comparison between commercial aviation and commercial train travel.
The financial picture is not entirely negative. In 2004, Amtrak's operating subsidy was 950 million dollars. It has dropped steadily to 340 million in 2014.

Long routes like Seattle to Los Angles is not necessarily that expensive, Amtrak's low fair of $124, airfare about $100. The problem of course is transit time about 24 hours for Amtrak and about 2 1/2 hours by air.

However, there are some advantages to train travel outside of the northeast corridor. It's less hectic than air. Security is a breeze. Seating is much more comfortable. You don't need to make reservations weeks in advance. I usually don't buy a ticket until I'm ready to travel. Moving around the train is a snap, real food in dinning car, and an observation car that really allows you to see America. Although your tickets do no allow you to hop on and off at stops, making changes is very easy and with little or no cost. We all know what happens when you miss your plane but with Amtrak, you just exchange your tickets for a later train, generally without any penalty. I love train travel but I'm usually in no rush.

What I see as the biggest problem with travel on Amtrak outside of the Northeast Corridor is the slow speed due to the condition of the tracks. Since Amtrak owns only 23% of the tracks, they have almost no control of their transit time. Most of the tracks are owned by companies whose primary interest is freight and high speed tracks offer them little competitive advantage.

It was it's first day in travel.

An Amtrak train derailed and fell off a bridge over Interstate 5 near Mounts Road between Lakewood and Olympia.

Watch Live: Train derailment in Seattle area

[QUOTEAmtrak train 501 was traveling southbound from Seattle when it derailed along Interstate 5. "Injuries and casualties were reported," Pierce County Sheriff's Office said, though it's unclear how many people that included. ]

Amtrak train derails in Washington state onto Interstate 5; injuries reported[/QUOTE]

Just read where "something was placed on the tracks."

They are now saying 3 died, instead of 6, according to Seattlepi.com. Better news than it was.

Hogwash. To take any train from any big city you have to GET to the station. 2 hour drive, nowhere to park? $20/day to park? Might as well drive to Portland yourself?

Did I hear correctly? Woman driver on a new high-speed route? Affirmative Action again? Hope I am wrong. NW Liberalism run like deep river.

It was a brand new rail line.

No it wasn't. It was new for passenger trains. It had already been in use for freight.

Actually no. You're both wrong. The tracks themselves had recently been upgraded, but had been there and in use for many years and was frequently used by Amtrak

that's what I just said. I don't think "line" means "tracks". I think it means "route". I took his post to mean entirely new railway bed, everything. Which we both know it isn't.

It was a line used by BNSF and the military, Sound Transit bought the tracks and it was recently upgraded with new rails that would allow high speed commuter trains to run on it.

Here is an article on the new Tacoma Amtrak Station and the new line that had opened today. It shows the old route and the new route, the old route was beautiful except because of it being along the Sound it had to travel slower because of mudslides that closed the rail periodically.

Amtrak Cascades Now Faster and More Frequent, New Station Opens in Tacoma » The Urbanist

It was a brand new rail line.

Actually no. You're both wrong. The tracks themselves had recently been upgraded, but had been there and in use for many years and was frequently used by Amtrak

that's what I just said. I don't think "line" means "tracks". I think it means "route". I took his post to mean entirely new railway bed, everything. Which we both know it isn't.

Actually your post that I had quoted only said No it wasn't. It was new for passenger trains. It had already been in use for freight . I was pointing out that passenger trains had been using the tracks all along, even before the upgrades

I agree & is how I had taken the other comment as being brand new everything, but it wasn't

This was the inaugural run of the rail for passenger service, it was used by the military and freight trains. Sound transit purchased the line and they upgraded it for rail service where it wasn’t suitable before.

The financial picture is not entirely negative. In 2004, Amtrak's operating subsidy was 950 million dollars. It has dropped steadily to 340 million in 2014.

Long routes like Seattle to Los Angles is not necessarily that expensive, Amtrak's low fair of $124, airfare about $100. The problem of course is transit time about 24 hours for Amtrak and about 2 1/2 hours by air.

However, there are some advantages to train travel outside of the northeast corridor. It's less hectic than air. Security is a breeze. Seating is much more comfortable. You don't need to make reservations weeks in advance. I usually don't buy a ticket until I'm ready to travel. Moving around the train is a snap, real food in dinning car, and an observation car that really allows you to see America. Although your tickets do no allow you to hop on and off at stops, making changes is very easy and with little or no cost. We all know what happens when you miss your plane but with Amtrak, you just exchange your tickets for a later train, generally without any penalty. I love train travel but I'm usually in no rush.

What I see as the biggest problem with travel on Amtrak outside of the Northeast Corridor is the slow speed due to the condition of the tracks. Since Amtrak owns only 23% of the tracks, they have almost no control of their transit time. Most of the tracks are owned by companies whose primary interest is freight and high speed tracks offer them little competitive advantage.

The length of time to travel is way too long, Greyhound is often faster. So I’ll either drive myself or fly.

Forum List

Back